iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Lost 80's Horror Thread (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Lost 80's Horror Thread
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
never seen killer workout or aerobicide as it's called here in the u.k,that poster sure grabs your attention,that's one thing in common with all these titles the artwork for most of these 80s horrors definitely catches the eye.

couple more quite obscure horrors

the prey (1980) - http://youtu.be/PWlA5G6f1wU got this on a pretty worn out original thorn emi vhs ,not a bad slasher.

girls night out aka the scaremaker - http://youtu.be/S3ZmAhSlUX0 have this on dvd, again not bad,i like it enough to own it.

twice dead 1988 - fun haunted house horror,i have on dvd in a twin pack with 1978 horror the evil starring richard crenna.

stars todd "watcha talkin bout willis" bridges from different strokes, i could not stop laughing when his character got knocked down by a car,no idea why, i must have a strange sense of humour!

anyhow a fun little known horror from roger cormans corncorde pictures - http://youtu.be/XXTaGWLH4JU .

The Evil is a great movie, i have the vhs tape and the movie really gave me the creeps when i was young.
I need to see Twice Dead, starring Jill Whitlow and Charlie Spradling... aaah [Wink]

I own Girls Night Out vhs tape and need to check it out this spring.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think anyone's mentioned this one...last night I watched Night Visitor, with Shannon Tweed. One usually associates Shannon Tweed with certain....types....of movies lol. Anyway, this one was good...hooker next door murdered by a satanist. I liked it. 80s horror movies rock!!
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

yeh that's a cool little movie petty fan with a pretty decent cast - elliot gould,shannon tweed,richard roundtree and michael j pollard amongst others,i have it on a u.s dvd,it was a blind buy for me,had never seen it before but thought i'd give it a go and enjoyed it a lot.

i'm not 100% certain but i'm sure here in the u.k it was originally known as never cry devil,anyone else out there seen this one.

night visitor trailer- http://youtu.be/Jjb1mVGPx8M .

[ 05. April 2012, 12:11: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
atomik i watched the evil tonight with my missus and we both enjoyed it,richard crenna looks a lot different here than he did 4 years later as trautman in first blood.
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Evil rocks. Night Visitor looks fantastic, i need to get it!
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another obscure one for y'all :

Hide and Go Shriek (either 1987 or 1988)

A group of teens spend the night in a closed furniture store and get stalked by a wanna-be transvestite
with bloody murder on his mind.

With an obvious low budget and a cast of unknowns, this actually is a rather amusing slasher flick.
Quite similar to Chopping Mall, but where as that one was rather tongue-in-cheek, Hide and Go Shriek
is 100% dead serious.

Highlight of the movie : A naked girl gets decapitated by an elevator, and her head slowly
'drips' from her torso into the elevator where her friends are.

Any movie with such a scene can't be all that bad ! [Big Grin]

Get this one, if you can find it !

According to imdb, director Skip Schoolnik went on to be associate-producer of several well-known
tv-series such as Angel, The Walking Dead and Torchwood.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard of Hide and Go Shriek, and I can see the VHS box in my mind. I've never seen the movie though.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

So you've watched "The Slumber Party Massacre Trilogy" and "The House On Sorority Row", but have you seen "Sorority House Massacre"?

Wait a second.. is that the girl with the exploding head from "Chopping Mall" on movie poster? ha. she isn't even in the movie! I actually think it is Nicole Rio who played Tracy in the movie, but i remember reading it was Suzee Slater a long time ago.

Well, something seems hauntingly familiar to Beth when she arrives at the Sorority House for a fun weekend with her girlfriends, to the point that Beth's fun weekend is plagued by a series of horrific nightmares each one more real than the last. When the girls throw an all night party they discover a most unwelcome guest, the nightmare maker, a night of fun has become a night of horror as the blood thirsty killer stalks them one by one.

Warning: "Sorority House Massacre" is a bit too tame for most gore loving 80's horror fans.. it is actually a take on "Slumber Party Massacre" with the added twist of dreams.

-

Cause Beth spends a lot of time dreaming, talking about them, and trying to figure them out. Some folks call this film a "Halloween" ripoff, but with a couple of glaring differences. The killer wears Nikes and Ocean Pacific t-shirts -- (not Quiksilver.. Whew!).

Bonus points.. there's a lengthy montage in which the girls try on clothes while dancing to an almost Hall & Oates tune. The director wanted "You Make My Dreams" .. Come True, but the budget got this other masterpiece instead. [Wink]

-

I mean what could possibly go wrong with these studs coming over to protect you?

I'm actually not totally recommending this film, just having fun with the slumber party massacre idea! Dangerous stuff ya know.

[ 28. March 2012, 18:16: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are actually two versions of Sorority House Massacre. The US dvd version is indeed
practically gore-free.

Here's what the DVD Delirium book wrote about it :
,The New Concorde "Massacre Collection" dvd is devoid of at least seven sequences of varying length
that total almost 10 minutes of missing footage.'

The complete version should have a running-time of somewhere close to 86 minutes.
Apparently the old video release from the UK as released by video-company Medusa is the full uncut version.

Maybe Young Warrior has it in his collection somewhere and can help us out here.

The sequel (from '91) is also worth a look. It's rather amusing actually. It was directed by
Jim Wynorski around the same time as he did Hard To Die, using many of the same cast from that one.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
i actually have the region 1`new concorde dvd release johnny,i purchased it some years back,at the time i never knew of any cuts made to the movie,just presumed it was short and mostly light on gore.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/search/?searchwhere=db&q=sorority+house+massacre

never seen the u.k medusa video release,but like most medusa releases (retribution,the video dead,lightblast,etc.) at the time it has some pretty cool artwork .

i quite enjoyed this one,doesn't come close to the first slumber party massacre for me but i still found it enjoyable enough,plus i also liked the music score.

http://youtu.be/W31b8w8Zq4M - sorority house trailer.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

another movie i own that i don't hear mentioned a lot which i thought was quite fun is the 1989 horror anthology after midnight(mgm region 1 dvd),anyone else out there come across this one.

http://youtu.be/4H1yC42ImKA - after midnight trailer.

[ 19. March 2015, 05:21: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

pettyfan
Member # 2260

Sadly no, Valley, I have not seen Sorority House Massacre. I have it saved to Netflix, in case it ever comes out.

This afternoon I watched Slaughter High. It wasn't the best slasher film I've ever seen, but it certainly wasn't the worst. I thought the acting was pretty horrible, and the plot was predictable and cliche, but it was a fun movie to watch.

I have Cheerleader Camp coming up in my Netflix que...any thoughts??

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

first time i watched slaughter high many years back on a cut vestron uk video i came away hating it,i rented it a couple of months back on the excellent new uk arrow dvd release to give it another chance and i ended up really liking it,to the point i went and purchased it.

negatives - most of the acting is very poor and the plot has been recycled more than its fair share of times .

positives- some quite gruesome kill scenes,great music score ,martys cool looking jester mask and the creepy old school setting.

http://youtu.be/Ff2Tj2R471M - slaughter high aka april fools day theme music

yeh overall i really enjoyed slaughter high this time around but i must admit when it comes to 80s slashers in general i'm quite easily pleased,i know a few people out there that think it's a complete stinker.

as for cheerleader camp i have the anchorbay dvd and even though it's as daft as they come it's still quite good fun,has some pretty gruesome death scenes,lots of bad acting and quite a smattering of nudity.

give it a go pettyfan,there's way worst 80s slasher/horror movies out there.

[ 06. April 2012, 09:01: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Give me a K - Give me an I - Give me an L - Give me an L

-

I make no excuses for this flick.. it is definitely campy horror.  The cast with Betsy Russell, Lucinda Dlckey, and Lorie Griffin is 80's awesome and the movie has some of the best b-movie make-up special effects ever. 

The guys are the weakness of the film.. Leif Garrett is just going through the motions and Travis McKenna is totally annoying at times. It could have been really good, but they went for cheesy sleazy instead. Still worth checking out though.

If you end up becoming a fan of "Cheerleader Camp" .. then you need to track this one down next:

-

"Camp Fear" is the infamous sequel to "Cheerleader Camp"! So very bad and the story behind it is crazy. But fun to watch once because of Betsy Russell and Vince Van Patten.

[ 30. March 2012, 07:07: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

Welcome to Spring Break....who's seen it??

Oh, and Valley, I just added Camp Fear to my que!

[ 31. March 2012, 17:05: Message edited by: pettyfan ]

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

pettyfan .. this will sound crazy, but I actually just talked Ronnie into watching "Nightmare Beach" .. aka "Welcome To Spring Break" last night. So your posting was kinda coincidental to read.

-

I'm a huge fan of "Nightmare Beach".. from the obscure tunes to the killer twist on Spring Break. It is definitely a B movie, but very high on my list of forgotten horror gems. The theme music of the killer and the kills themselves are rather creative .. I highly recommend this film.

Plus, it is fun to see all the 80's beach fashion which I miss!

-

If you've never seen it .. here's my Skip Tip on it: Diablo is a biker gang leader executed for the murder of a young woman. At the same time, it's also Spring Break in Florida and the partying has begun. Football players Skip and Ronnie head to the beach, where Skip meets Gail, the sister of the woman who was murdered. All the fun and glory of Spring Break is on display, however, is about to turn into a nightmare when it appears Diablo has come back from the dead to seek his revenge.

-

Finally, check out the performance by Zeta in the film!

[ 01. April 2012, 10:55: Message edited by: Valley ]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Ah, Umberto Lenzi disguised many of his later movies as American productions, as is the case
with Welcome To Spring Break.
He did Hitcher in the Dark around the same time as this one, and used many of the same locations
(and even some of the same scenes).

pettyfan
Member # 2260

Thanks. Reviews on Netflix were mixed. I don't mind B movies, if they're good B movies...does that make sense? [Wink]
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
another movie i own that i don't hear mentioned a lot which i thought was quite fun is the 1989 horror anthology after midnight(mgm region 1 dvd),anyone else out there come across this one.

http://youtu.be/4H1yC42ImKA - after midnight trailer.

I have that dvd too. It's been a while since i've seen it, but i remember there's a Cujo-esque segment
about a group of girls in a car besieged by some aggressive dogs. It's simple, but very effective.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
yeh i could remember parts of that segment johnny and also the other one where they stop at the creepy old house,but i had to just look up again on imdb to remember the other section and that was the one about the night time radio presenter getting creepy phone calls.

yeh it's not overly memorable,it wasn't that long ago i watched it last,but it's a good fun movie never the less.
i'll have to grab it of my shelf again for another viewing.

i've never seen nightmare beach,i'm interested in watching this one,it looks and sounds like quite a fun horror flick,plus it's got the great john saxon and michael parks in it.

few more suggestions
 -
hell high aka raging fury (as it was known here in the u.k) - this was filmed in 1986 but not released till 89 , i've read some awful reviews on this one but i quite enjoyed it.

the mostly unknown cast give decent enough performances plus it gives the audience what it expects from this type of film namely copious amounts of gore and nudity,it has quite a sleazy feel to it this one.

another thing of note is the actor christopher stryker who plays the gang leader ****ens died not long after the completion of the film aged just 27 from aids.

blood relations (1988)-
http://youtu.be/n_2hCd0fq0o

-

superstition(1982) aka the witch - saw this years back but remember very little.

-

http://youtu.be/LCOAXFMQbns .

nightmare maker(1981) aka butcher,baker,nightmare maker - never seen this one.
 -

[ 05. April 2012, 15:25: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI...Pieces, in all of it's uncut glory,is available on YouTube for your viewing pleasure! There are a TON of other 80's (and other years) horror flicks on there too. Totally free!

-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USDgvVbjKy0

[ 02. April 2012, 21:39: Message edited by: skatexedge ]

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

Welcome to Spring Break...I just didn't care for that one! I liked the blonde QB guy but that was about it.
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually really enjoyed Welcome To Spring Break! [Smile] Thanks Valley. You knew I would like it.

Of course, the blonde QB guy was great.. the music was cool and I loved the atmosphere of the movie.
Very B-flick-ish, and still fun.

petty, sorry you didn't enjoy it. I really thought you would..

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

Cheerleader Camp....oh what to say about it?? The first disc I got from Netflix was cracked (this shoulda been a sign lol). So I had to wait for the other one to come from Raleigh, NC, which took several days. Again, shoulda been a sign.

What to say, what to say? The pluses: at least the chubby guy who was always videotaping stuff (Timmy??)gave some comic relief on occasion. It was cool seeing the Esleep pajama tops...I had one of those back in the day! The camp director was soooooo annoying! I never did quite figure out what was wrong with the Betsy Russell character. Was she just crazy?

Anyhoo, I had the killer figured out pretty quickly. IDK if I can sit thru Camp Fear or not. Anyone wanna give some spoilers??

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Compared to Camp Fear, Cheerleader Camp is a bonafide masterpiece of the horror genre..
so proceed at your own risk, is all i can say. [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home