iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Under the Boardwalk (1989)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Under the Boardwalk (1989)
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"They'll be friends. They'll be rivals. They'll be falling in love. Nick Rainwood (Richard Joseph Paul) and Allie Yorpin (Danielle von Zerneck)
are a modern day Romeo and Juliet living in southern California, separated by the unbridgeable gulf of their backgrounds
and torn between loyalty to their “gangs” and their real desires.
This is a tale of two star-crossed lovers trying to overcome the rivalry, prejudice, and violence of the highly-charged surf scene,
where all hopes and fears come to a head in a final surf contest - a "surf to the death" duel!"

Just watched this late 80s teen flick and i liked it.
It´s basically Thrashin´ in a surf world and
no, it´s not the best surf movie but so what? It´s good enough.

The film was directed by Fritz Kiersch, a great guy who did also Tuff Turf and Winners Take All.
The cast is pretty cool, including Keith Coogan (Adventures in Babysitting, Hiding Out , Toy Soldiers ),
Danielle von Zerneck ( Summer Fantasy, My Science Project , Dangerous Curves), Richard Joseph Paul,
Steve Monarque, Roxana Zal plus many more.
Always funny dudes Tracey Walter and D1ck Miller also have small roles.

I loved the beach party scene and the "pac-man" joke was just awesome [Cool]

Good music, nice fashion, lots of surf boards and bikini girls = entertaining 90 minutes.

This was actually just released on dvd as a double feature with Tuff Turf so get it while it´s hot.

-

Here´s the Finnish VHS cover art:

-

[ 29. February 2012, 09:24: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Atomik I think I need to pick this one up! I'd had the vhs in my wish list.....

I can't get over how it looks like Keith Coogan has been glued on separately to that cover??

cardboard cutout? I think sooooo....

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Tuff turf will be bought.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great thread aTomiK!

Well, you gotta know that I'm a fan of "Under the Boardwalk"! The list of 80's surf movies is extremely limited with films such as "North Shore" and "Aloha Summer" leading the way, but I've always enjoyed "Under the Boardwalk" as well. Unfortunately, I only have a barely playable VHS copy of the movie, so it doesn't get very many viewings these days.

For anyone that has never seen it, aTomiK described it perfect by describing it as 'Thrashin' in a surf world'. Must say this though.. I really didn't care much for Keith Coogan in this film.. and that says a lot since I'm a fan of his other 80's work. On the flip side .. though it was obviously a play on 'Gidget' from 50's/60's surf movies.. I thought Roxana Zai who played 'Gitch' was wicked cool!

Muffy, I remember you didn't end up liking "Aloha Summer' very much, so this should be interesting. ha.. Also, glad to see you posting more again. Please keep it going.. we all miss it!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
 -

"They'll be friends. They'll be rivals. They'll be falling in love. Nick Rainwood (Richard Joseph Paul) and Allie Yorpin (Danielle von Zerneck)
are a modern day Romeo and Juliet living in southern California, separated by the unbridgeable gulf of their backgrounds
and torn between loyalty to their “gangs” and their real desires.
This is a tale of two star-crossed lovers trying to overcome the rivalry, prejudice, and violence of the highly-charged surf scene,
where all hopes and fears come to a head in a final surf contest - a "surf to the death" duel!"

Just watched this late 80s teen flick and i liked it.
It´s basically Thrashin´ in a surf world and
no, it´s not the best surf movie but so what? It´s good enough.

The film was directed by Fritz Kiersch, a great guy who did also Tuff Turf and Winners Take All.
The cast is pretty cool, including Keith Coogan (Adventures in Babysitting, Hiding Out , Toy Soldiers ),
Danielle von Zerneck ( Summer Fantasy, My Science Project , Dangerous Curves), Richard Joseph Paul,
Steve Monarque, Roxana Zal plus many more.
Always funny dudes Tracey Walter and D1ck Miller also have small roles.

I loved the beach party scene and the "pac-man" joke was just awesome [Cool]

Good music, nice fashion, lots of surf boards and bikini girls = entertaining 90 minutes.

This was actually just released on dvd as a double feature with Tuff Turf so get it while it´s hot.

-

Here´s the Finnish VHS cover art:

-

Atomik.. Could you recite the Pacman joke please.
Thanks

Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it´s kinda hard but it includes rivalry between the Vals and the locals and a back bag full of dope.
One of the locals thinks that the Vals have stolen his bag and yells " where´s my bag, man!"
The Vals laugh "What, pac-man?" and shows how pac-man moves with his hands.
Something like that. I found it funny, the joke is better when you see the movie though [Smile]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Oh and Muffy, Keith is definitely a cardboard cutout.
I think he was busy with Roxana during the photoshoot [Smile]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
I can't get over how it looks like Keith Coogan has been glued on separately to that cover??

cardboard cutout? I think sooooo....

Ha ha! Good call! It looks ridonkulous!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the girl who played Donna in La Bamba in this? Is that her on the cover? Is she a main character? I have a crappy VHS of this but it wouldn't play right so I didn't get to watch...Might have to get the Turf/Boardwalk DVD....hmmm.
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have a keen eye Cindy.. that is definitely Danielle von Zerneck from 80's movies such as La Bamba, My Science Project, and Dangerous Curves.

Do you already own "Tuff Turf" on DVD? If not, I totally recommend this purchase.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spreadking
Master Rewinder
Member # 7280

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spreadking   Email Spreadking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had been meaning to get Under the Boardwalk on VHS, so with the DVD out in a double feature I had to get it.

Under the Boardwalk was good, I hadn't seen it in 20 years.

I really liked Tuff Turf, which I hadn't seen before. I prefer Spader and Downey Jr. friendship in Less Than Zero, but this will do fine.

Posts: 215 | From: Central TX | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally got around to watching this one the other day...I don't know, if the characters said "bro" one more time, I think I might have put my foot through the tv screen!

These surfers could use a lesson in chilling out from Spicoli & his buds. Also, at times, the movie came off as unnecessarily vulgar & the pace was bothersome for me. I enjoyed Danielle von Zerneck but this is one I'd never watch again. I'm sorry "bro". [Wink]

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home