iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Failed comedies...in your opinion...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Failed comedies...in your opinion...
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As mentioned over on The Woman In Red thread, there are some movies that came out in the 80's with high expectations and even higher promotion but just couldn't cut the mustard...what are some titles you think missed their mark and were just dismal & unfunny bombs?

The Woman In Red is a great place to start.

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about any comedy that was a Canadian tax shelter production:

Gas (1981)--Donald Sutherland and Howie Mandel

Dirty Tricks (1981)--Elliott Gould and Kate Jackson

Hog Wild (1980)--Michael Biehn and Patty D'Arbanville

Nothing Personal (1980)--Donald Sutherland and Suzanne Somers

These are by far some of the lamest "comedies" to come out of the 80s and make "The Woman in Red" seem like "This is Spinal Tap." [Smile]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly wouldn't count The Woman In Red as a failed comedy. It may not have gathered as many belly-laughs as it aimed for, but very few comedy movies ever do.

There were far worse comedies in the 80s, IMO.

Take Leonard, Part 6.

Please.

Take it......

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stroker Ace (1983) - Burt Reynolds, Loni Anderson, Ned Beatty, Jim Nabors, Parker Stevenson

Best Defense (1984) - Dudley Moore, Eddie Murphy, Kate Capshaw

Caddyshack II (1988) - Jackie Mason, Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd

Switching Channels (1988) - Burt Reynolds, Kathleen Turner, Christopher Reeve

Harlem Nights (1989) - Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor

Posts: 4119 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh I fear this may open some cans o' worms! Remember this is all a matter of opinion. No one take it personally [Smile] !

Paul, you made me laugh with your Len Part 6 comment!

Leo, get ready to defend that Caddyshack II pick with Devo. He loves it!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good heavens, these are some horrible comedies. I've seen them but have truly blocked them all out of my mind. Burt Reynolds made some bad films but "Stroker Ace" is really lousy. And even Bill Cosby disowned "Leonard, Part 6." Query: How can you take sure-fire material like "The Front Page" and remake it into "Switching Channels"? Answer: Have three leads who are just absolutely terrible at comedy. I like Reynolds, Turner, and Reeve, but whoever thought that casting them in that film was a good idea was really out of it.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hold the phone there leo

caddy 2 is great and so is harlem nights, cant count how many great quotes in each

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my stepmother is an alien is good example of this, and who would of thought that with a combo of aykroyd and basinger you could go wrong.

before anybody says diffrent, couch trip and doctor detriot were great too.

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
out of curiosity though

i wonder why harlem always gets so many negative reviews, i really like it and dont see where it goes wrong

what do you guys think?

Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some obvious examples:

-Going Berserk; it's a VERY rare Candy film that doesn't do anything for me at all, but apart from a few moments here and there (Kung Fu U. and the running gag with the dead guy most notably) the project falls flat (Candy had signed up for an earlier, better draft entitled Drums Over Malta, and was just as bitterly frustrated as the viewers were that it was then extensively rewritten without his input)

-Modern Problems; again, a few occasional signs of life, but when you save your best bit for the opening credits--and Chevy's car problems driving home from work are easily the best jokes in the picture--you know you're in trouble. Double thumbs down for the fact they almost killed Chevy by rigging him with faulty lights during the dream sequence where he thinks he's a plane that almost electrocuted him

-technically, you can also include just about everything else Chevy did between Caddyshack and the first Vacation film, as Under the Rainbow and Deal of the Century fall flat, the former also coming off rather uglily ethnically insensitive for modern times

-throw in a vote for Best Defense here too; maybe if they'd just been honest about Eddie simply having a cameo, they could have gotten away with more, but trying to maniuplate what was a rather weak premise anyway to look like an Eddie picture is not only inherently a lie but gives them the image of trying to manipulate and profit off him

-Smokey and the Bandit 3; what was the point without Burt, really? Especially when the chase comedy subgenre that the original still stands out as a shining example of today was pretty much dead at that point (but would hit its nadir with one of the few other unwatchable Candys, Speed Zone)

-and let's not forget the very first unwatchable Sandler film, Going Overboard, which technically has no coherent plot to speak of at all--something with Noriega getting the film's negative then breaking the 4th wall with it, I don't know--and perhaps not a single actual thing resembling a joke in its entire length despite having something to do with Sandler wanting to be a cruise ship comedian, I think.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhinestone (1984) - Sylvester Stallone, Dolly Parton

City Heat (1984) - Clint Eastwood, Burt Reynolds

Club Paradise (1986) - Robin Williams, Peter O'Toole, Rick Moranis

From the Hip (1987) - Judd Nelson, Elizabeth Perkins, John Hurt

Hot to Trot (1988) - Bobcat Goldthwait, Dabney Coleman, Virginia Madsen

Sunset (1988) - Bruce Willis, James Garner, Mariel Hemingway, Malcolm McDowell, Kathleen Quinlan

She's Out of Control (1989) - Tony Danza, Ami Dolenz, Catherine Hicks

Posts: 4119 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Juhl
Senior Rewinder
Member # 10024

2 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Adam Juhl   Email Adam Juhl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Teen Wolf Too (1987)
Strange Brew (1987)

Posts: 61 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2011 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am gonna have to jump on the Caddyshack 2 defence bandwagon. It's pathetic I know but it is highly quotable and still a very funny movie. It just gets a bad rap cos it's called Caddyshack 2 and does not seem on par or is not a continuation of the first one. If it was called something else...like "Let's Go Another 18" it wouldn't have copped anywhere near as much flack.

Great performances from Robert Stack and Randy Quaid too.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home