iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Heaven Help Us.... An HBO treat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heaven Help Us.... An HBO treat
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

This was on the other day, and I had only remembered parts of it. It was very good, in that old (let's relive the 50's or 60's time in the mid 80's that we do now for the 80's)

I thought the acting was great and the kid actors were excellent. Kevin Dillon and Andrew McCarthy really stood out. As of course did our lady friend from Some Kind of Wonderful. Paul has to love this movie.

Any thoughts?

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love this movie so much. every character was great in it. i own it on dvd.

i saw it in the theater when it came out. i thought it was the funniest movie ever at the time. my friend who went with me was a freshman at an all boys school run by the christian brothers, which is where i was going the next year. he told me about this one brother, who was in charge of discipline, looked and acted just like the guy from this movie. and his description wasn't too far off.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always loved Heaven Help Us. It's so underrated. Never gets enough rec...until now [Smile] ! Yes, Devo, it's all very good & has it's place among 80's movies that were set in the 50's/60's...I couldn't be more pleased because if I had the choice to live in any eras, those would be my choices 80's or 50's...put me in a poodle skirt & throw on some Buddy Holly!!!

The cast is ridiculous! Donald Sutherland, John Heard, McCarthy, Dillon, Masterson, Dana Baron, Pat Dempsey, Stephen Geoffreys & Yeardley Smith!!

If you haven't seen this movie, it's worth a rent. Warning, not the lightest material at times...gets a little heavy here & there but has all the elements. It would be nice to see this get a decent dvd or blu ray release with some cast interviews but that's a mere fantasy!

Thanks for bringing this one up Devo.

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will add my two Euro cents here--wonderful little movie that used to play cable all the time but has fallen through the cracks. As you said, CM, it's not all funny. It's a real slice of life with some especially realistic performances.

Poodle skirt! The mind reels... [Smile]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a good movie which we have talked about before.
Here´s my post from Oct. 2009:

"I just watched Catholic Boys aka Heaven Help Us (1985)

I´ve seen it once before in the 80s and hardly remembered anything.
It´s a great flick with a great cast.

mamamia already mentioned some of the actors
but i have to add that Malcolm Danare (Flashdance, Christine) is great as "Caesar".
The brothers Donald Sutherland, John Heard and Jay Patterson are also good.

In these days it´s available almost everywhere on dvd, so go get it!
Me? I have this good old VHS tape"

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home