iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » How did Uncle Buck get a PG rating

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How did Uncle Buck get a PG rating
Mavs
Rewind Curious
Member # 350

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Mavs   Email Mavs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am home with my 10 year old daughter and she has one of her little over for the afternoon. This friend brings over Uncle Buck and the two of them ask me if they can watch it and I see no problem with it since it is a PG rating.

My wife got home and went to check on the girls and walked in during the party scene and was going to watch the end of the movie with them. She nearly lost it when she sees two teenagers on a bed obviously close to having sex. She did lose it when she sees a guy pulling the pants down of a young lady and then sees these two people obviously in a sexual position.

My wife and I were shocked when we watched these scenes again and you see some type of black patch near this girls private parts that to my wife and I looked like it could be this girls pubic hair.

She nearly killed me when she found out that I gave our daughter permission to watch this movie.

How in the world did they get this into a PG rating or how did this movie not get like a PG-13 or even R?

Posts: 1 | From: Nebraska USA | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The PG rating stands for Parental Guidance. That means you should have viewed the film first and decided weather or not the content was suitable for your children(thats what the PG rating is intended for). I agree that if teens were in a sexual situation, it should have gotten at least a PG-13. This system is not perfect but it's all we have.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please read this response remembering that I am a father of two young girls:

I remember the first scene you mention - it's actually pretty pivotal to the plot, so taking it out would damage the movie, and the ratings guys probably viewed this as not warranting in itself a rating higher than PG.

As far as the second scene goes, I really can't recall it. I'll need to view the movie again to see what it is you mean, but it sounds possible that having been surprised by one scene, you were expecting more, and therefore were not dissapointed. You say that it 'looked like it could be' something you object to. To get a PG rating (especially back in the 80s) I'd say it certainly would not have been pubic hair, otherwise it'd be all over the web. Maybe you are seeing stuff that isn't there, just because you are lokking for more evidence to back up your previous concern over the movie's content.

Still, if you view all of the movies and tv shows that your daughter watches before she does, it'll never happen again.

- Paul

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette
Master Rewinder
Member # 252

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Janette   Email Janette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen Uncle Buck quite a few times and I remember that scene. I understand your disgust, but I think you are trying to see things that weren't there. She had underwear on. They were like a black lace and it could probably could be taken as something other than what it was.
Posts: 156 | From: Midwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*I think I can see pubic hair*

I think you're looking too hard (sorry, couldn't resist).

Ali brings up a good point. Parents are being warned that there may be content unsuitable for kids. It wasn't heavy on the sex tones so it got a PG.

But like PG-13, parents are "strongly cautioned" meaning "Look out! This has some heavy stuff in it".

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something I've noticed between the PG films of the 80s and the PG films of the last 5 years or so is that they managed to "get away" with more adult content in 80s PG films.

Things are getting too politically correct in some areas, and films is one area - a lot of UK DVDs are cut for certain content (headbutts, flick/butterfly knives & num-chukas, however you spell that) and some are cut by studios to get a lower rating so what you get on DVD isn't what was shown in the cinema.

The tv broadcasters also cut films sometimes, for years I had Explorers taped off tv and only when I got the VHS last year I noticed they cut the "elephantitis is when something gets ugly and bloated like your ass" and another line or two, yet the film has a U (Universal for all) rating...

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home