iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The ISLAND w/Michael Caine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The ISLAND w/Michael Caine
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ISLAND starring Michael Caine....Anyone else seen this flick.
The year was 1980 & it was based off of the novel"The Island" by Peter Benchley.
M. Caine is an investigative writer for a news magazine who tracks down 1 of the most baffling mysteries of modern times...the disappearance of pleasure craft & passengers from one area of the Caribbean. 600 boats have dissappeared in 3 years. It is in this area that descendants from 17th century buccaneers still live the way of their ancestors. Caine and his sons plane crashes and are stranded on an island and are captured by them and Caine is used to rejuvinate the pirates degenerated gene pool. Caines son is converted to the pirates ways and turns against his father.
I will not give away the ending of course but will say that I enjoyed every second of it.
If you dont mind a little blood check it out. [Smile]

Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will be interesting to see what other here end up having to say about it. I have never seen it, but have always wanted to. Has just never been on a pay cable channel (I won't watch the sacrilege that are edited for network movies) or at the video store. I don't think I want to buy it, but have always been interested. I love the poster and cover of the book with the fist holding a knife coming out of the sea...
Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Island" ran about a gazillion times on pay cable, but that was back in the 80's. It seems to be pretty much forgotten today. Michael Caine once said that he picks movies based on shooting location. This looked like a vacation in Aruba for him. [Smile] I will give you that it's a nasty and entertaining in spots, but not because it's a good movie. Peter Benchley adapted his own novel for the screenplay, but it's just terrible. It's so implausible that I couldn't help but laugh. I like a lot of director Michael Ritchie's movie, but here it looks like the script was so bad that he just gave up. I mean, c'mon: Pirates from the 17th Century beating 20th Century technology?

I distinctly remember seeing this on opening day back when I was in school. There was an elderly couple across the aisle from me. The woman was doing a play-by-play describing the action on the screen ("He's got a hatchet!") loudly to the man, who was apparently hard of hearing. I had to "shush" them numerous times. They were easily the worst moviegoers I've ever seen. I think the usher (remember when theatres had ushers) finally came over and told them to shut up. The action in the theatre was more fun than the action on screen. [Smile]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember that I preferred the Ewan McGregor movie to the Michael Caine movie...
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Different types of islands... [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Earl Keese,
If you like, i would be willing to send you a VHS copy. All I need is your address. Wouldn't cost you anything unless you send it back.
Let me know.

Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good movie, i own the dvd.
It´s available here in scandinavia.

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Gotta Go Back! Can you believe I don't even own a VCR anymore?! I too am willing to part with a bunch of vhs tapes taking up room and not doing anyone any good here...pretty much some of the standards from back then (Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Beverly Hills Cop, Top Gun!)...

Thanks for the offer though. [Big Grin]

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home