iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Night of the Comet - Spoiler alert DEVO wasn't impressed!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Night of the Comet - Spoiler alert DEVO wasn't impressed!
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

So I decided to take the opportunity that Netflix has afforded me to watch Night of the Comet for the first time in forever. Needless to say I don't think that anyone should waste their time. While the girl from Weekend at Bernie's looks great and the Cheerleader from Fast Times is decent as the sister, this movie is not memorable at all. I mean come on, it's the end of the world and your sister is still alive? Nonsense! The bad guy from Revenge of the Nerds 2 is killed in three seconds (how he got her is beyond explanation) and the new hero on the male role is the deputy from Long Wolf McQuade! Now that's a movie!

Anyway, the plot isn't great, the bad guys are forgettable, and the mall when the world ends, while this might be the first time that it is done, (or second or third), is done better in other movies.

To sum up: save time see anything else!

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...you're like the first person I've seen on here who doesn't love it. I've never seen it, but added it to my Netflix instant que awhile back. Still haven't watched it though. Doesn't really seem like my type of movie.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I don't feel that strongly about it being a bad movie, I don't particularly care for it either, D.

The movie takes an odd turn for me, and becomes hard to stick with. I used to like it more a long time ago, I even paid big bucks for the vhs tape (before 80s movies were being released on dvd). I bought the dvd when it came out and that is when I realized I wasn't as into it.

petty, you've never seen it? You should watch it soon and so you can let us know.. now that we know Mr. D isn't a fan! [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears that I'm on the total opposite end from Devo and Ronnie on "Night of the Comet" ..

I love this movie!   [Cool]

It feels a bit sad because Ronnie and I agree on a ton of films.. but not this one it seems.

For me, "Night of the Comet" has so many cool 80's elements that I enjoy .. arcade games, Valley Girl poster and soundtrack LP, neon lighting, dream sequences, mall shopping spree, zombies, and a killer soundtrack with a few hard to obtain tunes.  

Okay, I figured it out Ronnie.. It's Michael Bowen? Isn't it? ha.. he's still a total creepoid, but at least you finally get to crush that fly for real in this movie!

This NOTC thread goes more indepth from my point of view:

- (click to read)

Pettyfan.. definitely give it a chance, but I agree it is not a movie style that you seem to enjoy most.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Valley,
while the aspects of the movie can certainly be understood as likeable, the very naturally 80's settings clothing and music, I remember as a kid being drawn in basically from that cop dream sequence, and the girls. I just felt the amount of relevant characters were too few. Maybe it's one of those cases of needing to love it when I was 10 to love it now, or may I just really went in wanting to remember it fondly and it fell short. I did enjoy your post and lord knows there is nothing that quite as cool as a girl that wants to be awesome at video games, in my opinion the movie fell short and needed more.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry you didn't feel it DEVO. It's one of my all time favorites! Saw it in the theater, bought the VHS and then the DVD! =)
Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a fan as well. My first viewing of the movie was about a year ago, and I liked it even without the influence of seeing it as a teen. Cathern Mary Stewart in acid wash jeans was enough for me....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenkobra
Master Rewinder
Member # 892

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kenkobra   Email kenkobra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Great Great movie! I must have seen it 20+ times over the years and never get tired of it.
Posts: 224 | From: AZ | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember seeing this when it first came out at the theatre a block from Harry Trumans home in Independence. Saw many great 80's flicks there. Night of the Comet was one of them I thought was very cool. Watched it a year or two ago with my 5 year old son who also loved it. I will keep a copy lying around the house.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kevdugp73:
Catherine Mary Stewart in acid wash jeans was enough for me....

Amen, brother! [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blake
Ace Rewinder
Member # 75

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree although its not the worst film in the world I didnt enjoy it
Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am utterly shocked that you didn't like it Devo. Has a great soundtrack, which I own and listen to quite frequently. No one can think of the 1980s and not think of this gem!
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home