iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Best movies set in the '80s? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best movies set in the '80s?
Anthony33
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9820

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Anthony33   Email Anthony33   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, in your opinion is the best or are the best movies set in the '80s? I like Adam Sandler's staddp and music, but, for whatever reason, I'm not a big fan of his movies, so I just thought Wedding Singer was alright at best, mostly for Drew Barrymore, who I always liked, but even some of her later movies I can't sit through. Take Me Home Tonight I still have to see, it looks like it's right up my alley, because I love the '80s and teen movies. I heard Adventureland takes place in the '80s? After The Wedding Singer came out, I started wondering how many other movies set in the '80s there are out there or even shows, like Freaks and Geeks. That '80s Show I actually liked and thought the writing would've improved had the show been renewed, they probably wouldn't have used as many '80s references as the show went on. That '70s Show even used a lot of '70s pop culture early on, until the show hit its stride.

Any others I should look out for?

Posts: 60 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a fairly recent thread with several choices:

Best movies about the 80's

My list has changed though since that thread:

1.  - (click to read thread)

2.  - (click to read thread)

3.  -

"The Wedding Singer" has always been #1 on my list and remains there still, but after seeing "Take Me Home Tonight" at the theater it is #2 currently. And after Ronnie mentioned "Wet Hot American Summer" on the aforementioned thread .. I watched it again and decided it deserves my #3 spot!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthony33
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9820

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Anthony33   Email Anthony33   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Wet Hot American Summer is set in the '80s? Cool, I think I have that somewhere, I gotta watch that.
Posts: 60 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just added wet hot american summer to my rental list,never heard of this one before,looks like fun!
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthony33
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9820

Rate Member
I believe it's written by and maybe directed by and I know starring some cast members from the famous comedy group The State. They did sketches for the Jon Stewart hosted You Wrote It, You Watch It, where viewers told crazy stories about themselves, which the cast dramatized, which you can now see on the site Vimeo. They then went on to star in their own self-titled sketch comedy, also on MTV before moving on to many other projects since then, most notably Reno 911!, which aired on Comedy Central and led to a theatrical movie.
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awww Valdude, i completely forgot to post in the Take Me Home Tonight thread! that movie was a blast. i have to agree it is definitely one of the better newer movies, set in the 80s. i can't wait for the blu-ray. [Wink]

also, there's a few page article on Wet Hot American Summer in this week's issue of Entertainment Weekly, talking about all the actors in the movie and how they've blown up since then. [Smile]

give it a shot, everyone. i think it's a fun little movie. [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Christmas Tale (2005) is a cool little spanish horror set in '85. One of the kids is a big Karate Kid fan and winds up crane kicking a zombie woman who is dressed in a Father Christmas suit haha [Big Grin]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*I've never heard of Take Me Home Tonight...I'll track it down.

* I still stand by Napolean Dynamite....I freakin love that movie...

* And I'm with you re: That 80's Show Anthony...I was one of the few fans....I have the 14 episodes. The TV show Glory Daze was also pretty good, though did not last long either.

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthony33
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9820

Rate Member
Napolean Dynamite was set in the '80s? I thought it just looked that way because it took place in a rural area. Do they ever specify what year it takes place in?
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for saturnchick   Email saturnchick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Donnie Darko, Hot Tub Time Machine, Lords of Dogtown, and Monster House (animated)?

IMO, though, Freaks and Geeks is the best "nostalgic" look back at the 1980s. It's one of the greatest TV shows ever, and it's a shame it was cancelled after just one season

Posts: 339 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthony33
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9820

Rate Member
Amen saturnchick. I definitely need to check out Hot Tub Time Machine as well. Love Freaks and Geeks. I loved Judd Apatow's followup as well, Undeclared, but of course that had a modern setting. I'm glad he's done a lot better in movies at least.
Anthony33
Senior Rewinder
Member # 9820

Rate Member
What is Glory Daze about?
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anthony33:
What is Glory Daze about?

It is about a group of friends who make a promise to join a male students society at Hayes University in 1986.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some Kind Of Wonderful was set in the '80s. That's my favorite....
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Booo  -
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anthony33:
Napolean Dynamite was set in the '80s? I thought it just looked that way because it took place in a rural area. Do they ever specify what year it takes place in?

Nap Dynamite took place in the present time when it was released. In the beginning credits he pulls a school I.D. out of his wallet with the years 2004-2005. It certainly looks 80's. Just another reason to like it.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

i really enjoyed take me home tonight,it was way better than i had imagined it being,
it turned out to be a very entertaining and feel good flick with the big bonus of it being set in the 80s.

http://youtu.be/GyJq7ydc3Ug - edited dance off scene from take me home tonight

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will keep an eye out for that one but is it on vhs? Thanx
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Take Me Home Tonight couple of months ago and liked it very much. Especially the first half rocks with the Suncoast video store scenes and all.
Dan Fogler was funny and it was cool to see Michael Biehn.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about this one :

-

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got Totally Awesome(2006) over the holidays. Have yet to watch it. Looks like a spoof. One other one I wanted to mention is Hysterical Blindness (2002) with Uma Thurman as a rocker chick set in 1987. Also a Canadian film from 2009 called Victoria Day, which is set in 1988. Not as many references and pop culture I was hoping for, but could relate to the small town Canadian kid vibe. I know there are more, but names are escaping me.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it's not set in the 80's, but it's probably the best coming-of-age movie that came out in recent years.

The Way Way Back (2013)

-

There is definitely some nostalgia going on in this one, and it's reminiscent of the very best teen-movies.
(plus there's also a hilarious pop-culture reference joke concerning the Mr. Mister song Kyrie)
If you haven't seen this one yet, i urge you to check it out a.s.a.p. !

Trailer : www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qoaVUdbWMs

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I loved that movie johnny,how cool would that have been to hang out in a waterpark everyday during the summer as a kid.
Steve carell definitely played against type in this one he was such a jerk.

Really great movie and you can't go wrong with a bit of Mr mister on the soundtrack.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Absolutely, definitely one of those wish-i-was-there type of movies.. totally awesome ! [Smile]

This one kinda flew under the radar here in Holland, but i imported the UK disc about a year ago,
and i have seen it three or four times ever since.. it's really that good !

Anyone else seen The Way Way Back ?

TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
it's probably the best coming-of-age movie that came out in recent years.

Totally agree.

"Ok, listen up... I need a hero! I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night..."

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home