iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Out of Control (1985) - Prom Nightmare (thread reboot)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Out of Control (1985) - Prom Nightmare (thread reboot)
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Eight teenagers heading for a fun-filled weekend on a private isle, find their plans destroyed when a wicked storm causes their plane to crash instead on an isolated island frequented by a dangerous gang of drug smugglers.

-

"Out of Control" is a rather uneven thriller, but what I enjoy most about it is the opportunity to see several actors/actresses that we all appreciate from other 80's movies but in quite different roles...  such as Betsy Russell (Private School), Sherilyn Fenn (Just One of the Guys), Martin Hewitt (Endless Love), and Jim Youngs (Footloose) for example.

Here's the trailer:

-  (click for trailer)  

Now I know ya wanna watch it! ha.. that wasn't very good.

But the theme tunes in totally 80's:

- (click to play)

I remember catching "Out of Control" on late night HBO in the 80's.. then I picked up the VHS on a bargain rack somewhere.  It has been awhile since I've watched it.. but I always thought the premise of flying off to a private island after prom with your friends sounded like a blast.  Too bad the movie did a crash & burn instead.. because I wanna see that other movie that this could have been now. 

btw.. I haven't watched this movie in awhile.. it was after prom right? Because looking for pics .. the description is saying after graduation.

[ 20. May 2011, 08:27: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blast from the past, Valley. Despite having Betsy Russell, Sherilyn Fenn, and Claudia Udy in it, this is a pretty crappy, raggedy looking movie from the director of "Forbidden World." It used to run all the time--usually at about 1:15 a.m.--on HBO in the 80s.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crash.. that was me watching it at 1:15am in the 80's. I still stay up all night watching movies on occasion! [Cool]

No awards will ever be passed out for "Out of Control".. but the cast makes it worth mentioning. Actually, the poster is kinda cool.

I know aTomiK has seen it.. but anyone else remember it?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You and me both, brother. [Smile] I used to live for the junk on "Cinemax After Dark." Still do, even though they don't call it that anymore. And I am generally channel surfing at that time on any given Friday or Saturday looking for something. At that hour, my taste in movies is more "specialized": It's gotta be junk. There is no way I'm watching something like "Raging Bull" at that hour. ROFL
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
I still stay up all night watching movies on occasion! [Cool]

Count me in on this too!! In fact, staying up watching movies all night is one of my favorite things to do!

I didn't know about Out of Control until a few years ago. I have no doubt it was on HBO after hours in the 80's but I probably skipped it cause it wasn't the typical romantic teen comedy I was into at the time.

I believe Isis or Muffy told me about it & I tracked down a crappy VHS copy that I transferred to dvd-r. Yes, it's a bit tedious at times but the cast makes it tolerable! I mean you get to see Sandy & Jordan Leigh Jenson hanging out together! Right there, it's worth at least one viewing [Smile] !

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
You are duly counted in. [Smile]
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just on the topic of staying up all night and watching movies. When my brother and I were younger we would get like a deal at the video store. 7 weekly movies for 10 bucks or something similar and we would stay up until we had finished watching all 7. It would often happen that when we had finished watching the 7th one we would start back up with the first one. I don't think we ever fully completed 2 cycles though.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i quite enjoyed out of control, it's actually the only american ntsc vhs tape that i own ,reason for this is here in the uk it was cut by 19 seconds when it was released back in the mid 80s. i never hear much love for this one but i've always found it to be very watchable with a great cast! if it ever gets a dvd release i would not think twice of snapping it up!
i can hear you guys laughing in the background!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No laughing at all, i would buy one also.
Let´s hope that companies like the re-activated CodeRedDVD will release it in the future.

It´s a surprise that it was cut in the UK.
The Finnish VHS tape seems to be untouched.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cool! atomik,someone else who likes it! most of the new world picture releases were released by anchorbay at some point but this one for some reason got left on the shelf,yeh code red would be great,i have a couple of there releases -sweet sixteen and soul survivor and they done a great job on both. the bbbfc (british censors) used to be right muppets and cut almost anything.for example 2 seconds from demolition man-an ear clap and 3 seconds from malone- not sure what for,probably where burt's wig slips off!
Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cover art time! [Cool]

Finnish VHS cover art:

-

And even cooler UK VHS cover art:

-

[ 22. September 2015, 22:56: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Great VHS covers aTomiK!

I need to watch this movie again soon

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Watched the fun 1985 action drama Out Of Control again and though I'll admit it has many faults it's certainly a blast to watch!

It's sleazy fast paced nonsense with no shortage of nudity or gun toting action with 80s beauties Betsy Russell and Sherilyn Fenn amongst a group of teens stranded on an island after there plane crashes being pursued by a bunch of violent drug smugglers.

Shot in the US as well as what was then Yugoslavia and featuring a pretty cool soundtrack this is (as long as you switch your brain off) a very enjoyable action pic and the good news is for any fans out there is that it is getting the Blu Ray treatment later in the year from Code Red films.

Great Fun!

https://youtu.be/D8WWGHGOUuc - Out Of Control trailer (1985).

[ 11. August 2016, 14:34: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Painful to see this profiled. Had a chance once to pick this up the VHS at a long closed store, but forgot about it and doesn't seem that they will get it on DVD. Looking for a used VHS in today's landscape akin to to looking for 8 tracks!
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home