iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Your Favorite 80s dvd Commentaries

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your Favorite 80s dvd Commentaries
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to know what are some good ones...do you guys even listen to them?

I saw a topic Muffy started about Pretty In Pink special features and everyone started chiming in about which dvds have great special features.

I haven't listened to many commentaries on the dvds, but I recall watching Say Anything's commentary with Crowe, Cusack and Skye and it made me start to really like the movie..which i didn't care too much for, for the longest time.

I've mentioned commentaries for Footloose and Willow, which both had 1 person commentaries. Those were awesome!

Name some good ones? I've listened to Valley Girl, of course.

What about, Back To The Future? Some Kind Of Wonderful? Muffy mentioned the special features for SKOW, which I haven't even watched. [Eek!]

Also, i don't have my cases for my dvd's anymore, so I'm not able to look at the boxes and check which ones have it, but I thought if I asked, you guys could list the good ones. [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've don't watch many comentaries personally...and the few tomes I have I found them to be pretty pointless and drab. One day i'll have to check out more of them and get back to you on this. I like the commentary on the 2-disc special of THE LOST BOYS. Probably the best one I've seen thus far.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Ronster! I try to listen to the commentaries when I get a chance.. one that comes to mind as could've been good, but Corey Feldman was too annoying was "The Goonies".

But here's a few that I totally enjoy just thinking quick.. these have great commentaries.. but it is all the extras that make them special:

-

-

-

-

And non-80's .. two of my favs are the original "Scream" and "Can't Hardly Wait"!

[ 14. May 2011, 12:58: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best one by far (for me) is the Ferris Bueller's Day Off commentary by John Hughes!
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great one Veronica! I just wish I was a bigger Ferris fan than I am.

And Ronnie .. I know you don't cherish "The Karate Kid" as much as I seem to, but you should Netflix the new Blu-ray to experience Blu-pop! Especially with Ralph Macchio needing your DWTS support!

-
(rl - play)

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veronica Sawyer:
Best one by far (for me) is the Ferris Bueller's Day Off commentary by John Hughes!

Yep, I'll second this one. John Hughes makes great movies and so why not great commentaries. This one is fantastic and the best one I've heard.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

There is oddly great commentary on the movie Thrashin'. Also the Evil Dead special edition just the Bruce Campbell stuff is amazing.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for bringing this up Ronnie!!!

I have tried bringing it up a few times....cause I LOVE watching commentaries!!!

A movie you have seen a million times and love can totally take on a fresh newness with a commentary......insight into scenes, stories from filming.......things about the sdtk and why they chose what they did.

My first ever was Goonies which was cooler then ever.....a cast reunion!

I love the Say Anything one Ronnie i'm glad you watched it and actually appreciate the movie now because of it....that makes me happy.

I still am needing to watch FTARH.......and because of this thread I had no idea!!!!! Hughes did commentary on Ferris....I just recently updated to dvd on that one.....I found it at a used store and the commentary blurb is so tiny on the back I wouldn't have noticed it....this is why we need posts like this.....thanks Vern.

SKOW is funny......Thompson and Deutch as husband and wife talking about the film and as actor and director meeting then is funny and cool.

anymore people? I need to go through all my dvds now.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to listen to them all the time, but not so much now.

The 'Ghostbusters' commentary was excellent: After praising his comedic genius, they all insinuate how difficult Bill Murray can be to work with!

-

Best of the rest...

'Spawn'(1997)-- Hilarious commentary track, the director and producers explain how they came up with the name 'Banned From The Ranch' for their company.

But the best by far, has to be Bruce Campbell as Elvis Presley on 'Bubba Ho-Tep'. He stays in character for the whole movie and its a laugh from start to finish.

-

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The only one he ever did... carted over from the Laserdisc (I believe)... there will never be another.

I liked Schumacher's 'St. Elmo's' commentary. 'Fast Times', 'The Outsiders', 'Superman' - all good. I really liked the 'Goonies' commentary, which could easily have been too crowded.

I re-buy any movie I like if it has a commentary on it. Have done since day one. It adds an extra dimension to the movie.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I listen to every single commentary I come across, even the bad ones... *cough* Paul Heller's Enter The Dragon *cough*

Here are some of my 80's faves off the top of my dome...

Wargames
Last Starfighter
Monster Squad
Ghostbusters
The Fog
Escape From New York
The Thing
Big Trouble In Little China
License To Drive
Goonies
Lost Boys
First Blood
Die Hard
Predator
The Hunt For Red October
Aliens
Thrashin'
Fast Times
Summer School
Karate Kid
Cruising
Maniac
Vigilante
Batman
Blade Runner
Night Of The Creeps
Platoon
Empire Strikes Back
Return Of The Jedi
Friday The 13th 6
Friday The 13th 8

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's really quite a list. Will have to check out many of these commentaries.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie, since you like the movie "Dolls" you should check out the commentary on that one. It has the little girl from the movie speaking on it and she brings up a lot of cool memories from making the movie.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
JAY LEE.. great list!

Similar to the amazing commentary and extras on "Night of the Creeps" .. same thing with the Fred Dekker classic "The Monster Squad"!!

I seriously spent two nights watching each Blu-ray and was just totally impressed. Actually enjoyed the extras almost as much as the movie.

If you're listening executives.. please hire Fred Dekker's team to do your 80's movie re-releases or upgrades to Blu-ray!

[ 16. May 2011, 10:38: Message edited by: Valley ]

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Veronica.. I watched "Dolls" on demand recently .. rented the VHS years ago too.. what a freaking creepy film.

Never owned it.. but your posting is making me interested in it.

Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veronica Sawyer:
Ronnie, since you like the movie "Dolls" you should check out the commentary on that one. It has the little girl from the movie speaking on it and she brings up a lot of cool memories from making the movie.

V, i loved the commentary for Dolls. [Smile] last year, on my trip to Arkansas, i brought just a couple of dvds with me to watch and we ended up watching Dolls several times, and once with the commentary.

was it Muffy, who didn't care for Dolls too much?

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is me!! I just didn't care for it much the second time....well at least not to keep the dvd haha
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot to add Valley Girl, of course [Smile]

I really wish some of the Cannon films had ACs, and it still ****es me off that Spielberg categorically refuse to do comms [Mad]

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay A. Is Fast Times getting a blu-ray release? Is that the new cover art?

And secondly, the commentary on Fast Times is great! Amy Heckerling is fun to listen to with her accent & she provided lots of interesting little tidbits. I liked the part about Forest Whitaker skipping to his car after he found out that he got the part and also the prank Judge Reinhold pulled on Phoebe Cates during one of the takes for the infamous bathroom scene!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Veronica.. I watched "Dolls" on demand recently .. rented the VHS years ago too.. what a freaking creepy film.

Never owned it.. but your posting is making me interested in it.

Dolls is one of my all time favs! It's so under the radar for most people but I like the vibe of the movie. Perfect for a rainy day on the couch. I love the creepy house it takes place in!

I never listened to the commentary but after reading some of the posts here, I'll definitely check it out!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
I have tried bringing it up a few times....cause I LOVE watching commentaries!!!

Whoa, a girl who loves commentaries......

Hey, Muffster, are you married yet [Wink]

Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ha! Jay Lee......i'm not.....and free for the asking......we could spend all day watching commentaries think about it?? ( I hope he asks!!) silly haha [Big Grin]

Now I feel like an outsider since I didn't looooooooooove Dolls, there was another one I watched about the same time....Dolly Dearest 1992 now that one is bad in a bad way ;p

JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Well, if im ever in Tacoma... [Smile]

Or wherever it was....

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home