iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Weird Science - The Genius of John Hughes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weird Science - The Genius of John Hughes
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I'm quite sure Ronnie saw this in Entertainment Weekly Mag, but the University of Southern California Film School is offering a course this semester called:

The Genius of John Hughes

Here's the details directly from the USC website:

-------------------------

CTWR 431 Screenwriters and Their Work (2 units)
Description: Lectures and readings on creative problems in screenwriting: current scripts; interviews with visiting screenwriters.

The Genius of John Hughes

An exploration of the career and influence of screenwriter John Hughes, from "National Lampoon's Vacation" to "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and "The Breakfast Club." Hughes' work and the work of writers he inspired will be analyzed from a screenwriter's perspective.

--------------------------

I totally thought the name of the dean of the film school was interesting: Elizabeth Daley! .. [Big Grin] .. spelled differently.. but hilarious.

The coolest part is that they bring in a special guest speaker each class to help them dig deep into the John Hughes film of choice.

Molly Ringwald was the guest when EW was there..

1. Jake Ryan was almost Viggo Mortensen instead of Michael Schoeffling?

2. Judd Nelson was almost fired from "The Breakfast Club" for his method acting style and replaced by John Cusack.

3. Ringwald wanted Robert Downey Jr. to play Duckie and even begged John Hughes to cast him. What would have happened to Jon Cryer?

4. John Hughes really struggled with Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall growing up and wanted to work with other filmakers. It eventually created a major rift between them.

Why didn't they offer this class when I was in college?

[ 01. May 2011, 11:30: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
val, i actually did not read this article.. which issue was it in?... was it the one with Nathan Fillion on the cover? haha [Big Grin]

i actually think this is quite awesome. there's just some things, that college should offer..be it music appreciation and/or film appreciation! and the career of John Hughes should definitely be explored.

haha i think i would have dug downey jr., as duckie..who knows.. but he got to chase her around in The Pick-up Artist.

i love the guest speaker thing.. what if Michael Schoeffling came out of hiding to help out? ya right...ha

great find, val! and too funny on the "Daley." [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna be a little more negative about it...

quote:
Why didn't they offer this class when I was in college?
Because college used to be about a practical education with practical career applications, but now it's about numbers and filling out courses? 'Populist' is the order of the day.

I love the idea as a fun course to take, but as with anything else - you want to see the genius of John Hughes - watch his movies.

Someone smarter than me once said; the problem with taking something apart to see how it works, is that you have to destroy it to do so.

I wonder what John Hughes would make of a course about his movies?

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Logan.. my only problem with taking things apart .. is the extra pieces I have leftover when I put it back together. ha .. I figured you'd be a fan of a course similar to this because you've always enjoyed analyzing things.

Ronnie.. the John Hughes article is actually in the new issue with Twilight on the cover. Not sure what was in the issue with Nathan Fillion on the cover, because I burned that issue on my patio grill 'Pump Up The Volume' style upon arrival. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If John Hughes actually taught the course I would take it for sure. He truly was a genius.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it would be way cooler to teach the class than be a student in it. I mean, seriously, if that were my job every day to talk about John Hughes movies, how awesome would that be??

On another note, I hope that they also discuss his non-teen movies like Planes, Trains, and Automobiles and Uncle Buck because there was so much more to Hughes than just Breakfast Club and 16 Candles.

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Logan.. my only problem with taking things apart .. is the extra pieces I have leftover when I put it back together.
[Big Grin]

quote:
ha .. I figured you'd be a fan of a course similar to this because you've always enjoyed analyzing things.
I like the idea of the course (who wouldn't?) I'm just not sure it has any practical applications. Plus, I've met one too many 'film students' who think that because they sat through a class on something they know the 'true' meaning of it (in other words; someone elses opinion):

"Did you know that each John Hughes movie is actually a metaphor for coming to terms with latent homosexuality and the decline of American manufacturing since the ratification of the Taft-Walker agreement in 1965?"
"No I didn't. Mainly because it isn't true. Did you know you're a d!ck?"

I always think about the Woody Allen 'Annie Hall' scene:

"You know nothing about my work."

quote:
I think it would be way cooler to teach the class than be a student in it. I mean, seriously, if that were my job every day to talk about John Hughes movies, how awesome would that be??
I agree - much better to teach it. Ah, Veronnie... I think you'd do a great job! Technically, it is a part of your contribution to society (unpaid), to discuss John Hughes right here, with us [Wink]

quote:
On another note, I hope that they also discuss his non-teen movies like Planes, Trains, and Automobiles and Uncle Buck because there was so much more to Hughes than just Breakfast Club and 16 Candles.
So true. Heck... I even like National Lampoons Class Reunion!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Not sure what was in the issue with Nathan Fillion on the cover, because I burned that issue on my patio grill 'Pump Up The Volume' style upon arrival. [Big Grin]

This made me laugh sooooooooo hard!! My boss watches Castle too and we both talk about what a hunk he is....some weirdo brings those magazines into the breakroom so i'm reading People and it's an article about Nathan....I tear it out and leave it for my boss to read she draws a big heart around his head and left it for me.....totally made me laugh [Smile] he's a HUNK!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rymo
Rewind Curious
Member # 9684

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for rymo   Email rymo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 3 | From: TX | Registered: May 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SHOGUN
Master Rewinder
Member # 477

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for SHOGUN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^it's funny watching him in Big Love..i still attach him as the jug head bigger bro!
Posts: 199 | From: LONDON | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home