iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Jim Henson movies in the 80's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jim Henson movies in the 80's
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim Henson was a huge part of my childhood, and i'm sure a big part of yours also.....

We are talking Sesame Street
 -

The Muppet Show
 -

Fraggle Rock
 -

The Dark Crystal
Labyrinth
The Muppet Movie
The Great Muppet Caper
Muppets Take Manhattan
Follow that Bird

What do you guys think of the new Muppet movie...have you heard much about it....Jason Segel is involved?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1204342/

-

Here's my questions:

Who's your favorite Muppet creation/character?

Do you have a favorite movie/tv moment from Jim Henson you remember fondly? is there a clip online?

Is there really any children's programs that come close nowadays? They were so filled with pop culture, creativity and uniqueness...How could you not love anything Jim Henson or Frank Oz created??'

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the two old guys were always funny
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who's your favorite Muppet/Henson Creation?
I don't know which my favorite would be. I try a Top 5 list though along with clips of favorite Moments for each...

1. Bert & Ernie (Sesame Street):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUusX1Js6R0

Bert & Ernie have got to me my all time favs. And you can't choose one or the other by themselves. They were nothing if they were?lt together. Burt & Ernie were quite simply the Abbott & Costello, or the Laurel & Hardy of the Muppet World. And I thought they were among one of the funniest pair on television.

2. Skeksis (The Dark Crystal):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57vaKllPg7k

Well, naturally these things used to scare the hell out of me as a kid. But now looking back on these characters as a grown up, one can really appreciate the time and effort it took Henson & Company to create each one of these creatures.

3. Doozers (Fraggle Rock):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1abGUL626yo

Doozers were the coolest things to me as a kid. I loved the hell out of these creepy little green things. Not only because they sang some great sing-a-long songs, (as seen in the clip), but they also loved to build..which most little boys my age loved to do anyway. So of course it was cool.

4. Purple Two-Headed Monster Thing (Sesame Street):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJipBd7VUMM

Another very amusing and crazy creation by Jim Henson..I don't know what the deal is with this character..but I've always found it to be quite funny.

5. The Honkers (Sesame Street):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0hKubYMaR0

These were just wacky monster puppets that never said a word..just moved around alot smacking themselves in the noses which happened to be horns....lol...Brilliant!

So anyway, I can't be 100% sure that these are my all time top 5 muppets characters...Because I liked alot of them. But these are certainly 5 that stood out to me as a kid, and still stand out to me now as a grown up.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome Pyro I loved the little Doozers didn't you always wanna know what the sticks tasted like?....your Honkers made me think of the yip yip aliens from Sesame Street I loved!!

-

"yip yip yip.....uh huh uh huh" a friend and I at work do this to each other and a few times people will know and join in [Smile]

SeasmeStreet.org has a awesome list of guest stars and I watched Herbie Hancock just now and bam I totally remember it!!

http://www.sesamestreet.org/celebrity_video_player/-/pgpv/celebrityvideoplayer/0/e3c0605f-1577-11dd-9bc7-777dea8a73e7?

I always loved the manana mannha guys.......I remember them from the Muppet Show when Kermit interrupts with a phone call....but I saw a clip on Youtube that's dated 1969? Does anyone know if it's originally from Sesame Street?

Hoggle!! I always loved him and when I was a kid and he pee'd that was the funniest thing ever!

-

Dr. Teeth.........
 -

Well I loved the whole band!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of the main gang: Gonzo, who mixes wild and crazy antics with a surprisingly soft and frequently inflective humanism successfully time and again; plus, I love his design and color scheme (and true fans don't hold Muppets from Space to be canon and still consider him a Whatever)

Of the Sesame gang: Oscar, who's a riot in his grumpiness. He especially plays wonderful with Telly, with the snakes in the can gag and the screamingly funny broken chair joke in Sneak Peak Previews

Of the Fraggles: Boober, who much like Oscar is hilarious in his unrelenting (except whenever he allows Sidebottom out) moroseness; his lacklaster finish to the title song makes the perfect counterpoint to its otherwise high energy

The most special moment: pretty much all of A Muppet Family Christmas, which in hindsight is the perfect exlamation point on Henson's long career (and it fits well that he shows up in person in this one). Seeing ALL the main characters together for the holidays was special then and even more so now, and the content is great as well, from the icy patch running gag to Rowlf and Sprocket engaging in dog talk to the crazy Christmas play with Grover as the mouse making it clear he's not stirring ("Note how the spoon never touches the bowl.")

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love love love the Muppets....I very big part of my childhood.

My Favs: Fozzie, Grover (close your eyes and hard to tell if it's Grover or Yoda!)

Favorite moments: Like Chris, I love A Muppet Family Christmas....when the Swedish Chef first sees Big bird and aims to cook him for supper....very funny. Also like Muppets Take Manhatten....still have the glasses from Burger King. I own most all of the Muppet movies. I really enjoy the amount of celebrities they always have....a testiment to just how much everyone loves the muppet gang. * for some reason, I didn't watch Fraggle rock....not sure why....but never too late I suppose.

* didn't know about a new Muppet movie...thanks for the heads up Muffy!

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gonzo was someone I related to. And the grouchy one in the garbage can.

From the movies... Chamberlain the Skeksi, and Sir Didymus.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love The Dark Crystal and also like Labyrinth quite a bit.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the band on the Muppet show too. If I were to keep listing my favs, Animal and the band would definitely be on there...Hoggle was great in the Labyrinth too.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i never watched the show Sesame Street but i loved the movie "Follow That Bird" where big bird runs away after he's forced to leave Sesame Street and be with an all bird family.

-

as for Muppets..
i always like Janice from the band! haha
 -

"like, heyyyyy maaaaan" [Big Grin]

i always loved Miss. Piggy too. i still have the Miss Piggy muppet baby put away somewhere! [Smile]

i love the part in Muppets Take Manhattan where they are singing, "I'm Gonna Aways Love you."

i have the dvds of Follow That Bird, Dark Crystal, Muppets Take Manhattan and Great Muppet Caper. i showed them to my kids and they love them.

i used to watch the Fraggle Rock show, loved the intro song. i think i bought a dvd with some episodes on it but never opened it.

i am all for the new Muppet movie! hope it's good. i remember liking Muppets in Space too.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Big Bird, I found you, I...this is not Big Bird! You are imposters!" "Grover...." "Super Grover, please." Yep, Follow That Bird can really be seen as the show's high water mark, a perfect confluence of a terrific script, terrific acting by the cast both real and puppet, terrific songs ("Easy Going Day" getting my vote as the best one), terrifically tender moments (there's something moving about Big Bird trying to imagine Snuffy and yet not being able to embrace him), terrifically screamingly hilarious humor (the entire Don't Drop Inn scene, Ernie putting Bert through "Upside-Down World," Cookie's gradual digestion of Susan's car (guess he was falling behind on his daily iron requirements), and Super Grover's manic attempt to bend the bars of Big Bird's cage being the obvious examples) and terrific guests cameos (loved Chevy's parody of himself) all add up to grade A family entertainment.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris the CandyFanMan:
Ernie putting Bert through "Upside-Down World,"

chris, the song, 'Upside Down World' is my favorite song in the movie.. love the words too!

Bert & Ernie - Upside Down World

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was never a "Sesame Street" kid.. more of a "The Electric Co." and "Zoom" kind of child it seemed. But Grover. Bert & Ernie, the Cookie Monster were entertaining. And of course Kermit.

I watched "The Muppet Show" on a regular basis and quite enjoyed it. Plus, I've seen all the movies that Ronnie mentioned.. but one stands out for me:

-

Kermit and Fozzie are newspaper reporters sent to London to interview Lady Holiday, a wealthy fashion designer whose priceless diamond necklace is stolen. Kermit meets and falls in love with her secretary, Miss Piggy. The jewel thieves strike again, and this time frame Miss Piggy. It's up to Kermit and Muppets to bring the real culprits to justice.

-

Kermit is my fav muppet from the tv series and Muppet movies.. but if we are talking movies overall.. it is all about "Labyrinth" for me!

-

If you get a chance, please check out these threads that will give you additional insight into why Jim Henson was influential to so many of us:

Veronica's Labyrinth thread

&

Ronnie's Fantasy Movie thread

Both are just awesome threads!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
I don't think i've seen the Great Muppet Caper in a long time from that description.......I must get on that!

Those Labyrinth figurines are cracking me up only for the fact they are so realistic and one part of Bowie is about as big as his head??? you know what part i'm talking about [Embarrassed]

I gotta add I did some of my own research on manha manha.........the original was on Sesame Street in 1969 but featured two girls and a hippy looking dude and it's on You Tube.

The version I remember is from the Muppet Show 1976....where Kermit offers up the phone at the end..........I still love it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ

[ 17. April 2011, 22:15: Message edited by: Muffy Tepperman ]

Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Does anyone remember The Monster at the End of the Book?

I actually looked for it a few years ago with no luck.......looks like they've released it again.

One of my FAVORITES as a kid!!

-

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Those Labyrinth figurines are cracking me up only for the fact they are so realistic and one part of Bowie is about as big as his head??? you know what part i'm talking about [Embarrassed]
His boots??? [Confused]

I forgot to say I loved ANIMAAAAAAAL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yvHWyvexZA

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Logan that was a great clip!! I love Animal and his flowing hair.

"my kinda woman"
 -

and yes Logan his boots....oh yes! his boots! [Wink]

I watched The Great Muppet Caper last night, I seriously haven't seen it since I was a kid......and I really enjoyed it....there is just something magical about the Muppets I tell you, that puts me right back to sitting on our orange velvet couch eating mac and cheese, drinking milk out of my Smurf glass....love it!

Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luuuuuudo fweinnnnnd [Smile] I am still a massive fan of the Labyrinth, I could watch and watch it, and in fact...have. I remember getting it out from the video shop and then taping it off the tv. I can still say the entire 'through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered' speech. Ooh you've made me all excited just thinking about it [Smile]

I did once cry at the muppet show when I was a kid as they all got in to a car and left the big blue monster muppet behind and he had to run after them....I thought it was so unkind. Haha...little wuss.

Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
Does anyone remember The Monster at the End of the Book?

I actually looked for it a few years ago with no luck.......looks like they've released it again.

One of my FAVORITES as a kid!!

I remember this book muff..i had it as a kid too. I loved it too. My favorite children's books as a kid though were The Bernstein Bear books. I must have had every single one.
 -

[ 25. April 2011, 18:02: Message edited by: The Pyromantic ]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
Berenstain Bears Christmas = childhood.
Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
In fact, all the Berenstain specials still hold up pretty well today, with the Easter special almost as classic as the Christmas one (Papa all but wrecking the tree trying his own hand as Easter Bunny is priceless).
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only remember having this one book of the Berenstain Bears:

"Inside, Outside, Upside Down."

I can't remember much about it now, but I know I liked it alot.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Monster At The End Of This Book was one of my favs as a kid, and one of my son's favs as well....I try to do my best Grover voice when reading it to him, and pretty animated and loud....he loves it. There was recently another one released with Grover AND Elmo....with Grover once again pleading not to turn the page, but Elmo's curiosity encouraging you to turn the page....cute, but not as good as the original.

Re The Berenstain Bears....my osn has tons of those books as well, and loves watching the Halloween special......good times!

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home