iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 80'S HORROR ON DVD! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 80'S HORROR ON DVD!
pork pie mcfly

Member # 6802

54 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for pork pie mcfly   Email pork pie mcfly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wanting to add a few more movie's to my 80's horror collection, I've found a few movies but can't remember if they are any good or not...please let me know before I waste my money. Thanks

Dead and Buried
House
Deadly Friend aka P.I.N (The one with the dummy in the wheel chair)
Return of the Living Dead 2
Sweet Sixteen
Slumber Party Massacre
Terror Train
Hell Night
The Fun House
Twice Dead
Chopping Mall
The Burning
Happy Birthday to Me
House on Sorority Row

Posts: 235 | From: Hill Valley | Registered: Apr 2008 | Site Updates: 54  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From your list ..

Definitely get:

Happy Birthday To Me (though I know someone who forgot it yesterday)

The Burning

Terror Train

Also, favs for me, but not everyone:

Chopping Mall

The House on Sorority Row

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
return of the living dead 2

and dead and buried was not really good in my opinion

try renting them first before you buy

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just thought I would add that An American Werewolf in London looks great on Bluray. It also has an intersting documentary about the movie and has interviews with almost the entire cast, aswell as John Landis and pretty sure Rick Baker too.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pork pie mcfly

Member # 6802

54 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for pork pie mcfly   Email pork pie mcfly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot to put "The Midnight Hour" on the list, anyone else think any of the movies on the list are worth buying. Thanks
Posts: 235 | From: Hill Valley | Registered: Apr 2008 | Site Updates: 54  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie_Lomax:
Just thought I would add that An American Werewolf in London looks great on Bluray. It also has an intersting documentary about the movie and has interviews with almost the entire cast, aswell as John Landis and pretty sure Rick Baker too.

Bernie, as you know I love the film, and I love that documentary. It is exhaustive. In fact, I think that it's actually longer than the film itself! In addition to the cast, Landis, major crew members, and Baker, I even think they interviewed an extra and a gaffer, didn't they? LOL
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zach
Master Rewinder
Member # 9459

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Zach   Email Zach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heartily recommend House. It has good performances by William Katt and George Wendt, an equal mix of comedy and horror, imaginative monsters, and an all-around great story. It's definitely worth adding to your collection.
Posts: 122 | From: Beverly, MA | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely check out Slumber Party Massacre! Classic 80's slasher movie that doesn't take itself too seriously but still has some creepy moments.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 9144

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jack Gannon   Email Jack Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm intereted in seeing Chopping Mall
Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do you want horror films from the 80s for the sake of just having them, if so it doesnt matter what you get.

stick with the classics and thier sequels. There were a few good werewolf movies made - The Howling, AWWIL, xtro, or even get the hammer house of horror collection which was through the late 70s too i think.

Get in contact with Pyromantic - hes a huge horror buff and guide you to higher ground like he did me. If its sheer horror you want then you gotta go japan, thai, french, spanish really...I think between Pyro and i we could really get you some good titles.

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry Willy, but I can't have that kind of talk. The nerve of you calling The Howling good. It's avergae at best [Big Grin]
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Bernie, as you know I love the film, and I love that documentary. It is exhaustive. In fact, I think that it's actually longer than the film itself! In addition to the cast, Landis, major crew members, and Baker, I even think they interviewed an extra and a gaffer, didn't they? LOL [/QB]
I like the story behind it too Crash. That guy just went ahead and made it. Went to all the locations and summoned up all the cast. The asked John Landis for an interview and if he could ask Rick BAker to do it. John Landis replies, like, "Why are you making a doco on my film? You don't have the rights for it so you are not going to be able to sell it." John being a softy asks the guy if he can see what he has done with it and can see how good it is and how much trouble he has gone too, so he convinces the studio to put it on the blu ray. Just goes to show, that for all you inependent film makers out there, there is hope of getting your work recognised if you are committed and go the distance.

As far as horror movies/werewolf movies it doesn't get any better than this. If you haven't seen it, give yourself a swift uppercut and go get it.

pork pie mcfly

Member # 6802

54 Updates!

Member Rated:
Calm down guy's!!!

They are both good films in my opinion.
I own them both and watch them alot...good stuff.

oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie_Lomax:
sorry Willy, but I can't have that kind of talk. The nerve of you calling The Howling good. It's avergae at best [Big Grin]

Check out Martyrs 2008 - that movie will leave you quivering...there is a thread in 00 movies, check it out Bernie.

You see the thing about the Howling is this - i watched it and other werewolf movies at a very young age and messed me up for life about werewolfs, have you seen Dog Soldiers??

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I am just teasing Willy. Nothing intended [Smile]
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I started watching Martyrs but turned it off after about half an hour. It seemed a bit too obscure for me. Does it it get alot better after the first half an hour? If so I will revisit it.

I don't believe I have seen Dog Soldiers so will check it out.

pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked House, Funhouse and Happy Birthday to Me. I've always wanted to see Hell Night. The Burning is pretty good. I didn't care for Terror Train or Slumber Party Massacre. And I didn't like Chopping Mall AT ALL!!
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ind3h
Rewind Curious
Member # 9548

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ind3h   Email ind3h   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And where is The Thing on this list??!!
Posts: 7 | From: Eerie Indiana™ | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pork pie mcfly:
I'm wanting to add a few more movie's to my 80's horror collection, I've found a few movies but can't remember if they are any good or not...please let me know before I waste my money. Thanks

Dead and Buried
House
Deadly Friend aka P.I.N (The one with the dummy in the wheel chair)
Return of the Living Dead 2
Sweet Sixteen
Slumber Party Massacre
Terror Train
Hell Night
The Fun House
Twice Dead
Chopping Mall
The Burning
Happy Birthday to Me
House on Sorority Row

house
terror train
hell night
fun house
chopping mall
happy birthday to me

these are all ones i remember liking alot and would purchase.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pork pie mcfly

Member # 6802

54 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks everyone so far...I've found some more 80's horror movies that I've never seen as anyone else seen them and are they worth getting?...

My Bloody Valentine
Prom night
Maniac
Maniac cop (watched this before but can't remember it)
Two Evil Eyes
Night of the Demons
Demons

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen all but 'Two Evil Eyes' and I would say they are all worth watching (all different though).
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ind3h
Rewind Curious
Member # 9548

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ind3h   Email ind3h   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Logan 5:
I've seen all but 'Two Evil Eyes' and I would say they are all worth watching (all different though).

Two Evil Eyes is really good.
One story by Argento, the other by Romero.
Definitely worth a watch [Smile]

Posts: 7 | From: Eerie Indiana™ | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ind3h
Rewind Curious
Member # 9548

Rate Member
Whilst we're on the subject of 80's horror, I wonder if anyone can help me with a film title?
Definitely 80's horror.
I remember watching the start when I was younger, it started with a high school kid getting acid thrown on him, then he possibly then kills all the kids involved wearing some kind of mask (I've got a clown mask in the back of my head, but can't be sure)

Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ind3h:
Whilst we're on the subject of 80's horror, I wonder if anyone can help me with a film title?
Definitely 80's horror.
I remember watching the start when I was younger, it started with a high school kid getting acid thrown on him, then he possibly then kills all the kids involved wearing some kind of mask (I've got a clown mask in the back of my head, but can't be sure)

Hi.. the movie you seek is:

- (Slaughter High (1986) -click for thread-

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ind3h
Rewind Curious
Member # 9548

Rate Member
I've just tracked down a trailer, yep, this is the one, cheers [Big Grin]
The only thing that has threw me off the scent, was that the video cover from what I remember wasn't the above picture, it was a picture of this clown/jester mask (UK version).

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home