iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » North Shore (1987)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: North Shore (1987)
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Just wached this entertaining teen surf movie and found out that there was no thread for it
so i had to make one.

The plot:

"Before entering art school next autumn, Rick (Adler) sets out to spend the summer surfing at Hawaii.
He knows nothing about the local habits, what causes him some starting problems,
but by chance he gets a room in the house of guru Chandler (Gregory Harrison).
He teaches him the difference between 'soul surfers' and those who surf for fame and money.
Also he manages to get the attention of a beautiful young native." (IMDb)

I´ve always liked Matt Adler and he´s once again very sympathetic in the leading role.
John Philbin is also a cool dude and Nia Peeples was good and pretty as the female lead.

I love the locations and the surf scenes look great.
Matt Adler, Gregory Harrison, and John Philbin actually did their own surfing
while the pro surfers were used as stunt doubles when the tricks got too tough.

The soundtrack is fantastic!
I especially like the Gary Wright tune "Am I The One".
And they used the classic Journey song "Happy To Give" as a love theme, perfect!

Gary Wright: Am I The One

Journey - Happy To Give

So, if you still haven´t seen this one, check it out!
I know that i was way late with this one but better late than never.

Rewind North Shore pages

The movie makers thank John Milius (Conan the Barbarian, Red Dawn) in the end credits,
he directed the classic surf flick Big Wednesday (1978)

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent and needed thread aTomiK!

I am definitely a fan of "North Shore" and while the premise of a dude winning a wavepool surf contest then going to Hawaii to surf pipe is far fetched.. you have to give the movie props for effort.

John Philbin was no Barney with his cool surf lingo. Loved the camera work and music as well. Then the added touch of real surfers headed by the great Laird Hamilton gave the movie surf creed. Apparently, North Shore has an alternate ending which is supposedly on the DVD. I'd like to know what that ending was if anyone owns it. Also, I've read in a couple of places that Nia Peeples had to replace the first actress that played Kiani.

Stay loose, haole [Cool]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
favorite surf flick ever.

i'm currently working on my 80's top 20 list, and this movie is still in the running.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
xchazx.. I'm excited that you are working on your Top 20 list!

Also, an excellent reminder for anyone that is working on her/his list to send it in before you miss the cut-off.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love North Shore and own it on dvd!
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work, aTomiK! Good film, deserving of the cult following you've started. Nia Peeples, an 80s fave, is very cool here. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright Valley, I just found this link so you can watch instead of getting the DVD just to find out how bad the alternate ending is:

It also features the terrible actress that Peeples replaced. Thank God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsebGUTWcog

I own the DVD and this is as much of the ending as they show.

aTomiK, glad you got around to watching it and very glad that you enjoyed it.

I saw this on TV when I was younger, and then a number of years back a video store was geting rid of all there VHS videos to replace with DVDS. I got North Shore for 3 dollars. I have since got it on DVD. I bought it off Amazon with Thrashin' at the same time.

"Surf looks pretty good, huh Vince?"

"Not bad."

"Plenty of haole surfers, but we'll blow them aways brau."

"Whateva's, we go."

John 'Turtle' Philbin actually has his own surf school now and teaches many people including celebrities. He also plays a surfer/dead president in Point Break. Plus he is in several other Hollywood movies including Tombstone.

I love North Shore. Classic stuff.

Alright Kooks, I gonna go watch yeah, no.

[ 11. March 2011, 20:19: Message edited by: Bernie_Lomax ]

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Kreese
Master Rewinder
Member # 9369

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for John Kreese   Email John Kreese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Top 5 for me, no doubt. I never get tired of watching North Shore.
Posts: 144 | Registered: Jan 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Know what you mean, when I first got it on VHS I watched it four times in one day.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Wow.. that alternate ending with the other actress was really bad. Great to finally see it, but now I know why it was not used.
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I think they also had finished all of the movie pretty much too, and then decided she wasn't going to fit the bill. So all the Rick and Kiani scenes needed to be shot again with Nia.
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Found this cool pic ..

I also heard that the ending was changed to set-up a sequel that was never made because the movie performed so poorly at the box office. Similar to "Making The Grade" huh?

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, I am pretty sure I heard the same thing. Very unfortunate because it is a great movie. It must have inspired so many surfers over the years.

I was looking at Jonh Philbin's website a couple of months ago and he said that he was currently working on a sequel with one of the original writers. I think he said Randall Kleiser but perhaps it was William Phelps. He said that he basically wanted to do it quite similaraly also. I hope very much that it comes to fruition. If it happened and was not a direct to DVD movie I would definitrly see it at the cinema.

Valley, Nice pic. Some great surfers there, that's for sure. Occy is a legend, and Laird Hamilton is arguably the best surfer ever. The rest of them are also good surfers especially my man Turtle.

It would be good to see Gerry 'Mr Pipeline' Lopez in that pic too.

"Twinnies, no one rides twinnies in Hawaii!"

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home