iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Favorite 80's Fantasy Films & Music (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite 80's Fantasy Films & Music
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Click to Play and then read! [Smile]

-

we tend to talk a lot about 80s comedies, romance, horror, and dance movies..but there were some great fantasy movies from the 80s as well!

adventure/fantasy
 -

light and darkness/good v.s evil..
 -

battle to save the world..
 -

musical fantasy
 -

what are your favorites? i compiled a list taken from other sites and various blogs:

Willow
Legend
The Neverending Story
Dragonslayer
Conan The Barbarian
Conan The Destroyer
Red Sonja
The Last Starfighter
Masters Of The Universe
The Dark Crystal
Time Bandits
Krull
Beastmaster
Labyrinth
Krull
The Princess Bride
Clash Of The Titans
The Secret Of Nimh
Xanadu

and i know there are many more.. probably way more than i am familiar with?

i have been wanting to hear more fantasy movie music...please help recommend some!

i was listening to some Tangerine Dream tracks from the Legend soundtrack, including the song i posted above (Loved By The Sun)..great song! [Smile]
it was through the rewind, that i learned about TD and the various movies they did music for...
and we all are familiar with the main song to The Neverending Story by Limahl..still a great tune.

what about Olivia Newton John's Xanadu?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m1UWSD-FaA
i love these scenes from the movie, she looks amazing!

also, i have always loved the cute song, "Dream Away" by George Harrison, used in the movie Time Bandits. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2wrte1ijlY

please share the ones you like. [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is magical.. I soooo love the the pics! I'll post more later..
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a list Ronnie! I love these types of movies. My faves are Legend, The Neverending story, Conan the Barbarian, Willow, and The Dark Crystal. I will add "The Barbarians" to that list as well. Great B movie! The scores and soundtracks to these fantasy flicks are magical in itself.... I so wanted to enter one of these worlds as a kid watching.... still kinda do now!
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the pictures Ronnie!

My mom was always the one that rented these movies back then, along with the VCR...she loved Willow and Legend.....she helped expose them to me [Smile] it's funny cause now as a 50 something she's really into Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.....would you guys qualify those as the same type of film for nowadays?

I really don't think they are as magical as the 80s favs..........but close?

Good call on the soundtracks Ronnie....I haven't really looked into that much........it's going to be cool if anyone has any "lesser known" fantasy movies to suggest?

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks you guys [Smile]

..just trying to be a little creative haha.

these types of movies tend to have a lot of score music. and i love that...

for me, willow is one of my favorite fantasy movies.
i heart warwick davis! my brother is a big fan of his, and recently read his bio, "size matters not." and the book revealed so much about his career...from when he was cast as Wicket, the ewok in Return of the Jedi, then Willow, The Leprechaun..all the way to the Harry Potter films.

i found this great interview online, with warwick, discussing the movies and his current projects. [Smile]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDpdPCnm-hc

part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU4Rba9iZ8Y

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have loved Legend since I saw it opening week in London's West End in the original cut with the Tangerine Dream soundtrack, not the butchered version that played theatrically in the U.S. I met Ridley Scott once. He's a world-class filmmaker...so many masterpieces.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie.. you know I'm a Tom Cruise fan and have become a "Legend" fan after watching the director's cut..

But the real question is: Did you ever score The Lord of Darkness?

-

If not, you might want to put it on your Amazon wishlist..

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

"Willow" is an awesome flick, but my fav fantasy film is "Labyrinth"..

David Bowie is wicked in it.. and of course, he brings the tunes. I've never told anyone this before, but I actually went to a Rocky Horror type of experience for the movie "Labyrinth" with a group of girls years ago. I was embarrassed at first, but looking around I was one of like fives guys in the theater and suddenly I realized that being a "Labyrinth" fan was a good thing. We made total fools of ourselves singing along to the tunes in the movie, but I have to admit it was blast! Great memory.

"Dance the magic dance!"

In honor of this thread, I'm watching "Labyrinth" on Blu-ray on my newly installed Samsung tv. The world is popping off the screen.. so awesome!!

I won't totally give away the ending for anyone that might not have seen "Labyrinth" yet, but I connect with it. Meaning that even though I've been forced to grow up.. I still live that ending in my 80's imagination that I will never let die!

Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

valley how dare you tease me with that lord of darkness picture! it's been like 5 years, since i cried how badly i wanted it,..but i don't have it. [Frown] it's just too much darn money. i've accepted that *sniff*

that is a great pic of bowie and connelly.

i don't own Labyrinth and i can't recall when i last saw it. enjoy the movie on your new tv!

i am interested in watching some that i have never seen.. like Krull? never saw that one.

what about Masters of The Universe?
frank langella was great as evil Skeletor.
 -

i saw the pics of the new captain america movie's Red Skull.. reminds me of Skeletor in a way?
 -

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mates give me stick about liking The Princess Bride, but I stand by it. It is a great film. It's inconceivable.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great thread Ronnie!

Here´s some suggestions with an edge:

Excalibur (1981) is one of the best without a doubt.

-

Of course i love all the movies which takes place in Hyborian Age:

Conan the Barbarian (1982).............. Conan the Destroyer (1984)............ Red Sonja (1985)

-  -  -

The Sword and the Sorcerer (1982) is a bit sleazier but highly entertaining epic.

-

And finally there´s The Warrior and the Sorceress (1984) which is for true b- movie fanatics only [Big Grin]

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aTomiK, I am just about to watch Conan The Barbarian.

This is another classic:

-

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Ladyhawke is a good one. Watched it last november myself.

Rewind Ladyhawke thread

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My list of favorites would look a little something like this...

1. Highlander
2. The Neverending Story
3. Heavy Metal
4. Excalibur
5. Conan The Barbarian
6. Flight of the Navigator
7. Clash of the Titans
8. Flash Gordon
9. Conan The Destroyer
10. The Sword & The Sorcerer

Honorable Mentions (11-20)

11. Red Sonja
12. Masters of the Universe
13. Sheena
14. Ladyhawke
15. Return to Oz
16. Labyrinth
17. Dragonslayer
18. Willow
19. The Black Cauldron
20. The Secret of NIMH

[ 11. March 2011, 14:40: Message edited by: The Pyromantic ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beastmaster was a fav of mine as a kid. One of those movies that was always on the older movie station (First Choice)...I've literally seen it at least 20 times. Obviously low budget and some bad acting....but I loves it so. Never did watch the TV series...nor do I plan to!

I'm actually surprised looking at the list re how many popular ones I've never seen....The Neverending Story, Willow, Legend....

Great thread Ronnie!

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Wait a second.. some of you have mentioned a few wicked flicks I didn't know they fell into the 'life is just a fantasy' realm.. so of all the movies suggested to this point..

Here's my top 5:

1. Heavy Metal
2. Flash Gordon
3. Labyrinth
4. Willow
5. Legend

Muffy.. do you think "Vicious Lips" qualifies? If so, The Lord of Darkness might be disappointed that I just drop him due to Ronnie's lack of purchase.

[ 10. March 2011, 08:54: Message edited by: Valley ]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE SPARKLES AND THE SNOWFLAKES! MY EYEEEEEEEES!

Many of the films listed are different types, so I'd have trouble comparing them directly with each other. 'Labyrinth' for instance, has no resemblance to 'Dragonslayer' or 'The Last Starfighter' beyond an adventure.

Actually, since you had things like 'Starfighter' and 'Xanadu' on the list, there's a whole bunch of 'fantasy' movies that could go on, even things like the Star Wars trilogy and E.T. Both have sc-fi aspects, but they're essentially fantasies.

quote:
i have been wanting to hear more fantasy movie music...please help recommend some!
You have your list... you have Youtube for some samples... go fetch! Two of my favourites from the list are 'Conan the Barbarian' and 'Neverending Story' (but most have good instrumental soundtracks).

Cliches, but John Williams and Jerry Goldmith did tons of great scores in the 80's (and before).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLLvvF3j7Fk

quote:
I actually went to a Rocky Horror type of experience for the movie "Labyrinth" with a group of girls years ago. I was embarrassed at first, but looking around I was one of like fives guys in the theater and suddenly I realized that being a "Labyrinth" fan was a good thing.
As opposed to a 'bad' thing? You looked around and saw the male to female ratio and said "Score!" and high-fived your friends! You animal...

Serious question though; when did Labyrinth become a 'girls' film? My memory of its release and life on video from the 80's right through the 90's, was that it was considered a good family movie (for boys and girls) something akin to 'Dark Crystal' or 'The Neverending Story'. But since the internet it's increasingly become more... eh... 'sparkly'. Just wondering aloud.

quote:
i am interested in watching some that i have never seen.. like Krull? never saw that one.
'Krull' is a bit formulaic, but it has some nice moments and characters: "I am Urgo - short in stature, tall in power, narrow of purpose and wide of vision."

quote:
Excalibur (1981) is one of the best without a doubt.
I watched it again recently and was sorely disappointed. I found Arthur to be almost 'dumb', and Merlin to be well-acted - but a fool. It grated.

quote:
i saw the pics of the new captain america movie's Red Skull.. reminds me of Skeletor in a way?
They both have skull faces. Mind you, the Red Skull well predates He-Man. I always loved Frank Langella's performance as Skeletor. It was the strongest thing about the MotU movie (Evil-Lynn was good, too).
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicious Lips could qualify Valley.....in a bad "b" movie kind of way for sure........remember those funky creatures lol
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Kreese
Master Rewinder
Member # 9369

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for John Kreese   Email John Kreese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some good movies here. I'll add this one.

-

Posts: 144 | Registered: Jan 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by kevdugp73:
Beastmaster was a fav of mine as a kid. One of those movies that was always on the older movie station (First Choice)...I've literally seen it at least 20 times. Obviously low budget and some bad acting....but I loves it so. Never did watch the TV series...nor do I plan to!

I'm actually surprised looking at the list re how many popular ones I've never seen....The Neverending Story, Willow, Legend....

Great thread Ronnie!

I have not seen legend but I think it is definitely worth checking out The Neverending Story and Willow.
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Ronnie.. after watching "Streets Of Fire" tonight.. I think it might just qualify and move to #1 on my fantasy movie list!

"Tonight is what it means to be young"

[ 10. March 2011, 23:58: Message edited by: Valley ]

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Diane Lane was smoking back then.
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

i love streets of fire [Smile]
 -

it says, "a rock fantasy"... i'll take it.

btw, i love Pyro's list!

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Labyrinth is my no 1 for sure. I really like Legend and The Company of Wolves too.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

walmart has clash of the titans in the $5 bin!..with a horrible cover...it totally didn't look like hamlin, to me. :-\

labyrinth blu-ray is only going for $15.00 and $10.00 for regular dvd, also at walmart.

i recently acquired the last starfighter on blu-ray for $10.00 as well!

those are some great steals for our favorite 80's fantasy movies. [Smile]

and i also wanted to add, that the willow commentary is awesome...warwick davis, all by himself, does a terrific job. if you haven't heard it, i think you would enjoy it! check it out. [Smile]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home