iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Can't Buy Me Love - Star Sapphire Edition (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Can't Buy Me Love - Star Sapphire Edition
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Quinton is in! Let the fun begin!"

-

I'm not going to dig too deep into my usual film observations since you can read most of my thoughts along with the real legends of this film .. our own Cindy Mancini and Nick (the name's Ronald).. who contributed so monumentally to the incredible "Star Sapphire Edition" thread from the past linked below..

- (read)

Let's face it.. I did my best to watch "Can't Buy Me Love" last night, but in the end .. it turned into 30% typing, 30% reading, and 40% listening to the movie. And guess what? It was a blast!

-

The picture above is about all I truly remember from last night.. so basically a blur ! And unlike Ronnie Miller.. I was not a punch-a-holic (strickly Cherry Coke).. wait.. She's an ACTRESS! Sorry, I briefly remembered something before I was left Dancing With Myself later in the night.

"Can't Buy Me Love" is easily one of my all-time fav 80's movies, so having it as a Rewind movie night ranks high on my list.

-

Most people don't know this, but I attempted to get Gerardo Mejía aka Ricky to stop by and add to the experience last night, but though he sounded interested .. it just didn't materialize. I did my best to make up for it by wearing a Tucson High 'cut-off' t-shirt while listening to the movie, but it just didn't have the same effect on the girls as if Rico Suave had shown. [Eek!]

I mean 'WHY BE' .. right NowhereGirl ?

-

Part of what makes "Can't Buy Me Love" so OUTRAGEOUS as Veronica might put it... is the supporting cast .. don't get me wrong Patrick Dempsey and Amanda Peterson are brilliant, but the supporting cast and the memorable characters they portray lifts this movie above so many others in my opinion. Oh and let's not leave out Courtney Gaines, Seth Green, Ami Dolenz, and Tina Caspary (right Logan ?) who are not pictured above.

Oh and Cindy Mancini's favorite hunk, Rock, is a scene stealer:

"Beauty runs in this family .. and it runs fast!"

Well, if anything was learned from last night it was before the movie started when Kev realized what a real 80's party is all about!

-

The pic above reiterates why Pyro seemed so interested in wanting to watch CBML last night as well. Which leads us back to Darcy DeMoss who was brilliant in the movie, but the question has raged for years about the breast unveiling in the infamous car scene that is now missing or never happened.

In reality, the real hidden gem of the day was before the movie when Muffy showed me this awesome find:

CBML Cast Reunion - Feb. 11th 2011

This is a must listen for all fans of CBML! So much stuff is on it, but I'll let Muffy reveal some of the amazing tidbits from this reunion.. since it was her discovery.

I had a total blast last night watching "Can't Buy Me Love", but in the end this is how I enjoy watching it most..

-

"Someday my wish is for him to hold me in his arms.. in a sea of deep blue... together at last, together as two."

[ 14. October 2011, 09:50: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a blast watching last night too...thanks again Valley for getting things set up. Quite a miraculous feat for me, for as I noted last night, I absolutely hate any type of chat on a computer....when I'm on the computer and someone bleeps in to chat...I could stick a needle in my eye. So...me chatting on line....had to be someone special...a sign of my love for the Rewind! I was poorly set up in my computer room, as I don't have wireless technology yet...dragged my big TV into the computer room and almost got whiplash looking back and forth from screen to screen...keeping up with the chat while trying to watch is quite a feat in itself!

Thanks Muffy for posting the reunion segment...watched it this morning...my nephew was down and entertained my son for a while. As Valley said, we'll let you reveal the details, yet, I'll comment on one part....Ami Dolenz movedto CANADA!!!???....must find...must kiss..... [Eek!] I also liked the scoop on the possible casting choices...a glimpse of what could have been....

In sum....I too love this movie. It happens to be one of my wife's favorites, so it sometimes decides our inability to agree on what movie to watch....if we can't agree...we go to the classics we both love. This is the kind of movie I'd love to watch at the drive-in with my sweetie...

Teen Wolf was mentioned a few times last night during chat....Rewind Movie Night # 5???

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was great to watch this classic again.
I also want to mention that the supporting cast rules!
So many fantastic actors, perfect stuff!

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really suggest everyone watch the Reunion link....although it's dark you can still hear everything great! it's really awesome that someone filmed that for people who couldn't be there.......... [Smile]

I love reading your write-ups the next day Valley! haha

Things that stick out to me.......Logan has this weird obsession with thinking every character in the movie is bi or longing for another character of the same sex. Kenneth is straight!! and an awesome friend to Ronnie.

We all love alot of the same parts (of course)and lines and many stick out still.........
"I said No!"
"Haaaaaaaaaaarvard"
"rrrrreality"

We ALL love Chuckie...and Cindy's outfits....except the disaster outfit that is the "Dancing with Myself throw the glass on the record player shirt half tuck." "youuuuuuuuuuuuu!"

Lace tights rock!!!

We are all Nerds and will watch a double feature of Revenge of Nerds....just because [Smile]

I had alot of fun with everybody that wanted to participate.........

am I really the only one that notices how awesome the cinematography is in this movie??.....how visually beautiful alot of the scenes are?....airplane "junk"yard for example? haha For being young newcomers....Dempsey and Peterson really were outstanding [Smile]

-

Did anyone else watch last night?

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
after watching last night, i realized that the entire cast did an amazing acting job in this movie...i never paid attention to that before. [Smile]

haha, i love the small cheer scene.. "one lovahhh, one lover at a time.." [Big Grin]

we all commented on the fashion in almost every scene..tina caspary's (barb) cut off muscle shirt, and no bra, haha.. and hey muffy, how about that headband?..lol [Wink] [Big Grin]
 -

valley, there's more to that WHY Be shirt, that seth green is wearing. i just can't read the bottom of it though!

valley and veronica love the "outrageous" wall decoration in cindy's bedroom but i always thought this decoration was better haha!

-

"bobbyyyyy" [Wink] [Big Grin]

after the big "be yourself" speech that ronald gives at the end, the cafeteria responds with a synchronized slow-clap...*cue the violins* haha. we all loved that!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great movie, great company and great snacks!.. but the least you guys could have done was drop off the chips and dip!!.

-

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are the highlights for me...

-Every scene QUINT was in ("Just rub some salt on it, it will come out!"). Valley is pouring himself a glass of Ripple as we speak [Smile]

-Haaaarvard

-Gerardo's awesome fashion sense! (Apron with no shirt on + gold necklace + perfectly coiffed mullet = soooo hot [Wink] )

-And even more mullets! Especially Bobby's, which you could tell probably took longer to style than any of the girls hair in this movie

-"Friends share their stuff with friends." Really??

-The fabulousness of ROCK, who I think might actually be Quint's Dad or maybe just life mentor!

-Logan's introduction to the Kenneth and Ronnie gay subtext (he wants him BAD!)

And so much more that I can't think of right now!

Thanks to those who stuck around to watch Revenge of the Nerds afterwards!! I know Logan is out shopping right now for all of Booger's awesome T-Shirts [Smile]

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes..quite a night last night. What a lineup too.

-Cant buy me love
-Revenge of the Nerds
-Ren & Stimpy
-From Hell

ok..most of the room was already long fast asleep before the latter half into the wee hours of the morning. But it was still very cool to stay up watching such an ecclectic and random list of programming. (I can't feel my eyelids or my toes.)

Highlights:

-Realizing I still pretty much know this movie word for word by heart. Because I only actually watched about 20 mins of it total. The rest of the time was spent chatting and reading.

-Yeah, the great Kenneth/Ronald suppressed gay love topic was.....interesting.:/

-The great collaborated slow clap...i know we all did it=)

-The great nipple debate...And yes, just to clarify, I saw no nipple on the VHS version I was watching, (And I looked very closely.)

-The pillowfights...or did that happen after I fell asleep?..i can't really remember.

ok..all joking aside..i really had fun last night. I've never spent that long in a single chatroom in this lifetime. Actually, this might be around only the third or fourth time I've ever even been in a chatroom. Keep this up I might have a new unhealthy addiction.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol Ronnie!! "no bra" sure sparked discussion haha and the headband mauahaha

and love your promised pic of treats next time I'M DOING THAT!

Veronica I forgot about how much you guys were discussing Bobby's hair.......was he ever in any other movies.....and I meant to ask doesn't his voice seem weird? or he's just a bad actor?

We were all thinking of what the next movie should be.........Summer School came up!! any thoughts??? I think it's a great idea since spring needs to get here and daylight savings is coming up.......i'm in.........anyone got an idea for the date and time? We tried to get Saturday afternoon going so other people could join in.....but no one seemed as interested in Saturday? I laughed so much last night..thanks guys....it was awesome!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Pyro! pillow fighting never happens in real life!! [Smile] haha

the nipple debate i'm still laughing!!

I remembered what Logan said about the thread on IMDB, it's been on there for 6 years going now I think there's like 15 pages haha yet no one can prove it.......So Valley...Logan's right.....Darcy never shows her boobs.....I read the first and last page and it's definitely worth a laugh [Smile]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092718/board/nest/15039999

Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

did you all watch revenge of the nerds on dvd?
after i left the chat, i cleaned up and went to bed, i put the tv on, and revenge of the nerds was on cable?! i fell asleep to it.

Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
That's what happened!! someone clicked on the tv and it was at the begining so a bunch of us just watched it too.....you were with us in spirit! [Smile] isn't that crazy?
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say we either watch Summer School or Just One of the Guys next! I'm thinking March 18th, same time as yesterday...what do you guys think?
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was all like a strange and beautiful dream. Closet gayness... imagined breast shots (or were they real?!)... then the movie morphed into some kind of frat comedy... there were t-shirts with great slogans and party's... then dawn broke across the land.

Was it a dream? I don't know. But what I do know is this...

"He went from totally geek... to totally chic"

and...

"You MU's sure can party!"

PS: Val - love the title of the thread! I also found that 'watching' was the lesser act to typing!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I say we either watch Summer School or Just One of the Guys next! I'm thinking March 18th, same time as yesterday...what do you guys think?
Sounds good. Both movies would be perfect!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veronica Sawyer:

maybe we could try for another Double Feature, cuz both those movies sound great to me. And I would stay up to watch both.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
sounds like a good plan to me!!
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

veronica, in the words of Quinton..."i'm there"... [Wink] [Big Grin]

[ 06. March 2011, 16:41: Message edited by: Ronnie ]

80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What time do you all start watching together?
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
11:00 pm EST time
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veronica Sawyer:
11:00 pm EST time

Thanks Veronica.... abit past my bedtime though. [Razz]
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

What a great pic!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
 -

What a great pic!

Never saw this before!! Where did you find it Valley?
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Big John *slow clap* [Big Grin]

SHOGUN
Master Rewinder
Member # 477

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for SHOGUN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i adored this movie so much! After reading this thread i will have to throw on my vhs copy!
Oh yeahh i need to upgrade quite pronto!

Posts: 199 | From: LONDON | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home