iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Movies that should not be remade! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Movies that should not be remade!
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gordongecko:
The types of movies I don't think should be redone are movies that were made by the actors or a performance. I think those are the tough ones tinker with.

Heath Ledger's Joker > Jack Nicholson's anyday!

Why so Nomsious [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
The remake of Conan is out this summer. The remake of Escape is in the works. [Frown]

They're remaking Escape from New York ??
The horror.. the horror..

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just announced last night ..

Ken Ortega to direct "Dirty Dancing" remake

At least they got Ken Ortega to direct it.. I've been hearing that this remake is creating a backlash of sorts because it is so beloved and we are still rather close to the death of Patrick Swayze which was revisited when Jennifer Grey recently won "Dancing With the Stars".

The remake that will rip my heart out is of course..

80's cult classic "Valley Girl" being remade into a musical

I've come to the conclusion to just accept remakes and hope for the best. Most are underwhelming anyway and after a few years are pretty much forgotten.

[ 09. August 2011, 05:40: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can live with a remake of Dirty Dancing..

but remaking Escape from New York is even worse than what they did to Fresno Bob ! [Mad]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howard the Duck.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta Go Back .. bringing up a film like "Howard The Duck" is a good point. Hollywood seems so desperate for ideas .. they are even remaking movies that weren't successful on their first attempt at the box office. Though Howard should be safe.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hollywood seems so desperate for ideas". You are right on the money Valley with that statement IMO. Perhaps in the future the rediculousness will come to an end after the release of A nightmare on Elm Street 4. But on the otherhand, a movie like Megaforce would be better if it was remade.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
80s movies that could be remade:

The Final Countdown. Cheesy at best and poorly executed at worst, this movie had so much promise and seriously under-delivered.

The Philadelphia Experiment. It's got a very good, very strong storyline, and was not very well received by the critics at the time. Ripe for an overhaul?

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

PAUL, that is so weird you mention those 2 movies together. A friend has been searching for them along with myself. Very hard to find them. Is your real name Randy? haha
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
The Final Countdown has been released on dvd and blu-ray by Blue-Underground in a truly amazing-looking special edition including a holographic cover.
The Philadelphia Experiment is available from Anchor Bay on both region 1 and 2 dvd.

John Kreese
Master Rewinder
Member # 9369

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for John Kreese   Email John Kreese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The remakes that I want to see are from movies that may have had a cool premise or story, but for whatever reason were not executed well.
That being said, I don't exactly have a whole lot of confidence in Hollywood these days, so I remain pretty skeptical about any remake that comes out.

It is the classics like Karate Kid that I have a problem with.

The absolute worst one I have heard of lately that is scheduled for a remake is Straw Dogs. Talk about an all-time American classic that will most likely be completely butchered.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Jan 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hollywood is full of lawyers and accountants in the studios. That's why all they can do is remake old movies. Zero creativity or want for new ideas. They suck.

That being said I would love to see a remake of Logan's Run. (I know that movie came out in 1976!)

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pork pie mcfly

Member # 6802

54 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for pork pie mcfly   Email pork pie mcfly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you think about the Fright Night remake?
Posts: 235 | From: Hill Valley | Registered: Apr 2008 | Site Updates: 54  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Karate Kid being one of my all time favs, I of course was always dead set against a re-make, and wouldn't watch it unless held down with my eyes propped open. Well, that didn't happen, but as I work with teenagers, I ultimately got stuck watching it at work on a movie night. Gotta say....it wasn't that bad. I even think Wil Smith's kid is quite annoying, but it was still watcheable. To clarify, I just think it was a good take on the concept for today's generation....cause although we'll find a few kids that may appreciate the original Karate Kid....they just ain't gonna get what we got out of it!
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Kreese
Master Rewinder
Member # 9369

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for John Kreese   Email John Kreese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the karate kid remake was nothing more than a lazy ripoff of the original with nothing new to offer. the screenwriter probably wrote the script while watching the original, because it was almost written scene for scene.

casting jayden smith was a bad move. plus it clearly should have been called the kung fu kid, as it was originally intended.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Jan 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home