iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » John Candy - What's his best? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: John Candy - What's his best?
kenkobra
Master Rewinder
Member # 892

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kenkobra   Email kenkobra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It never gets old watching Uncle Buck!
Posts: 228 | From: AZ | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris the CandyFanMan:
I saw the tribute as well. It's good to know people still care that much for him today.

As for me, I've taken it upon myself to unofficially continue his legacy in a way: given how much he contributed to John Hughes's film universe over the years, every time I'm written a full length fan fiction story set there, I've inserted into each story an original character clearly meant to be played by Candy; after having him pop up so often in the "Hughesiverse" that you half expect to see him in every film even if there'd be no obvious place to put him, it would only be right to give him roles in stories set in a world he'd be so comfortable with (in the most recent one I completed, he'd've ended up pulling triple duty had it actually ever been filmed). That way, although it officially counts for nothing, I feel like I'm giving him a new lease on life and continuing his career in a way. And that I'm rewarding him for everything he's done for me over the years.

That's really awesome. Seriously, that's so cool that you've done that. I can't remember off hand, but have you posted some of your stuff here?
Posts: 690 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure, but for the benefit here of anyone who might be interested:

-First Prize (a.k.a., Brian's Wonderful Life):
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5789367/1/First-Prize

(the Candy character first appears in Chapter 4)

-Viva la Holidays la Las Vegas (a.k.a., Kevin's Stranded Yet Again):
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11008709/1/Viva-la-Holidays-la-Las-Vegas

(the Candy character first appears in Chapter 4)

-Mr. Bueller Goes to Washington (a.k.a., Ferris Makes the Most of His Senior Class Trip):
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12621079/1/Mr-Bueller-Goes-to-Washington

(the Candy character first appears in Chapter 6)

-One Last Hurrah (a.k.a., Our Favorite Shermer High Alumni in the Great Outdoors Before Leaving for College):
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12927779/1/One-Last-Hurrah

(Gus Polinski cameos a few times, the Candy character first introduced in First Prize returns starting in Chapter 2; another original character first appears in Chapter 16)

Posts: 2555 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Candy was awesome and someone I'd imagine was down to earth and had a big heart,off the top of my head I can't think of one film that I have seen him in where I didn't enjoy his performance!

Loved Plane Trains And Automobiles,Summer Rental,Armed And Dangerous,Splash,Uncle Buck,The Great Outdoors, Going Berserk,Brewster's Millions,Volunteers etc never seen Wagons East, Nothing But Trouble plus a few others but hopefully one day I will!

Posts: 3564 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pghgirl
Rewinder
Member # 37571

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pghgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gordongecko:
I thought I'd bump this up because it was the 25th anniversary of his death on Sunday. Not sure if any of you saw it, but Ryan Reynolds posted a tribute video of John Candy on twitter. Showing a bunch of his movie clips. It was really cool to see.

I miss him and his brilliance. He had an ability to carry a scene but also to assist others and lift them up. He had a big presence without needing to dominate the attention.

Hard to believe it's been 25 years! Thanks for bumping this thread. And I will search for the Ryan Reynolds Twitter post. Thanks!
Posts: 50 | Registered: Aug 2018 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris - thanks for posting! I will check those out soon.

Pghgirl - you bet. Yes, check it out. It's pretty good.

One of the John Candy movies I haven't seen is Delirious. I actually have it on my DVR. I was curious what people here thought of that movie.

Posts: 690 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a chance to watch some more Candy films since my last post and though I still think Uncle Buck was one of his best, there's certainly others worth checking out too. One that I caught again recently that I almost forgot about was Who's Harry Crumb? He's great in that one too and it's definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen.
Posts: 1782 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lokin4AReason
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37702

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Lokin4AReason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they were all pretty good esp with the acting in uncle buck ....
Posts: 13 | From: in a soup bowl .... | Registered: Mar 2019 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gordongecko:
Chris - thanks for posting! I will check those out soon.

Pghgirl - you bet. Yes, check it out. It's pretty good.

One of the John Candy movies I haven't seen is Delirious. I actually have it on my DVR. I was curious what people here thought of that movie.

By all means see it; I myself rated it his 6th best film when I put together those that I thought were the top 15 for one of my autobiography's inter-chapter "commercial breaks" At it's best, it's screamingly hilarious ("I'M...A MEDICAL...DOCTOR!!!!"), nicely sending up soap operas as a whole ("What's that, the third brain tumor this season!?"), and it also has some nice heart to it as well.
Posts: 2555 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home