iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Top 5 John Landis Movies (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Top 5 John Landis Movies
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he´s not one of my favorites either.

Back to Landis,
Anyone seen his two Masters of Horror episodes?

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have, aTomiK. They were both pretty good horror-comedys, sort of like Landis-lite. ("Deer Woman," pretty much tells you what that one is about. LOL) That series, as much as I enjoyed it, was incredibly uneven. Some episodes were mini-masterpieces, like John Carpenter's first season one, Don Coscarelli's, and Dario Argento's. A bunch were solid--those by Joe Dante, Peter Medak, Stuart Gordon and Landis. And then you have Tobe Hooper, whose two episodes were absolutely dreadful. Oh yeah, and they wound up pulling and never running Takashi Miike's one because it was way too controversial.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always loved:

1. An American Werewold In London
2. Trading Places
3. Comin To America
4. Three Amigos (I know I've seen this as a kid, but don't remember much about it...time to re-visit I guess)

Shamefully...I've never even seen Animal House...or Into The Night. I have both, so...someday....

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a good thread so let´s bump...

Just watched Three Amigos (1986). Last time i watched it was back in the 80s and i was afraid if i´d like it at all. Well, it was better than i thought but let´s face it, it´s Landis´ worst 80s film.
The Amigos Martin, Chase & Short plus the villains Arau and Plana are all good and have few great moments but i just didn´t laugh enough.
I also liked all three Randy Newman musical numbers but the movie is just too "nice". For once i can say that Ebert said it best "The ideas to make Three Amigos into a good comedy are here, but the madness is missing".
I know that Landis had the final cut but the studio still removed few scenes. Also, they had the idea already in the early 80s and originally Martin, Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi were going to play the Three Amigos.
Now that would have been madness [Cool]

25th anniversay Empire reunion in Los Angeles.
 -

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I have mixed feelings about the three amigos atomik,it's fun but compared to john Landis's earlier efforts - animal house,trading places,an American werewolf in London etc. It definitely does (well in my opinion) fall well short of those efforts.

I think if people are looking for a comedy western you could do no better than blazing saddles - now that's a classic!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Blazing Saddles is awesome!
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.. but did it have a singing bush in it ?

I think not ! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or the invisible swordsman?
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Three Amigos is a great film - I don't think that it is anywhere near the worst film of Landis. I remember seeing this at the cinema when I was 6 and my old man was literally frothing at the mouth from laughing so hard. There are a lot of clever/subtle jokes in it too.

I love Belushi and Aykroyd but I think the casting for this movie was perfect.

Two thumbs up for me [Smile]

I wish these three guys had done more movies together.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home