iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Will the 80's ever make a comeback?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Will the 80's ever make a comeback?
Jack Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 9144

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jack Gannon   Email Jack Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm only twenty five, watched movies all my life. Don't care for the movies being made nowadays. Aside from the style, look, and attitude of films from the 80's compared to films nowadays. I really dig the 80's fashion, culture, attitude, and just about everything else you can imagine.

At times I often find myself wandering why i hadn't been born twenty years before i actually was.

My question to all of you posters is do you feel the 80's that is all or any of it's elements will ever become main stream again?

I mean if I never really being old enough to have enjoyed the 80's could be so impacted by it, whose to say others couldn't.

Let's say someone made a movie nowadays, and used new music which sounded like music from the past, not like today mind you. And the film in style, look and attitude recaptured the 80's. That if it had a big enough following, it might just regenerate some interest?

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Logan should try to answer this one.

As much as I chase the 80's and keep it alive on here and through the 80's movies/music that I enjoy.. thus the 80's is forever gone. We would all cherish the chance to recapture some if that decade's magic, but while folks will continue to try.. you just can't bring it back.

I enjoy when movies attempt to have an 80's feel to them, but no matter the circumstances .. it will still be a newer movie attempting to be 80's.

Hopefully, that makes some sense.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm cheered by the fact that a lot of stuff at the moment, including fashion, music and movies have clear 80s roots...

As Valley says, the naiivety and magic is gone but all it needs is a breakthrough independent project to revive it and we might see a bit of a swing back towards the 80s "feeling"... But, in reality, its probably gone forever... [Frown]

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that the 80's cannot be mimiced in its true form, is the very reason we continue to love the 80's so much...it becomes solely about great memories of that time, knowing you'll not experience that feeling ever again...and that yearning of just wanting to go back there for a day or two is never going to come, so we try to at least capture elements of those feelings in our movies, music, and a few collectables.

* I'm not even sure I could handle the 80's right now if we could magically make it re-appear...too much responsibility with work and family...if I can't sit on my butt all day to watch movies from the 80's and listen to tunes, and just hang out at the mall...I don't want anyone else to be able to do that....I'd be bitter! * I think the people who hang on to their youth too long, they're, well...they're living in their parents' basement drinking beers. Best to live a full life, embrace change and new experiences, but...always find the time to re-visit those fond memories....by chatting with friends on the Rewind, for example!

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think Logan should try to answer this one.
I can feel finger cramps coming on...

quote:
As much as I chase the 80's and keep it alive on here and through the 80's movies/music that I enjoy.. thus the 80's is forever gone. We would all cherish the chance to recapture some if that decade's magic, but while folks will continue to try.. you just can't bring it back.
^This^

quote:
I enjoy when movies attempt to have an 80's feel to them, but no matter the circumstances .. it will still be a newer movie attempting to be 80's.

I'm ambivalent when they do it, but apart from that - ^this^.

quote:
At times I often find myself wandering why i hadn't been born twenty years before i actually was.
Worth pointing out that with hindsight, you can pick and choose the best of a decade. If you were around in the 80's you would also have had to put up with the junk TV and movies (of which there was a fair bit).

quote:
My question to all of you posters is do you feel the 80's that is all or any of it's elements will ever become main stream again?
They already have; the 80's are retro cool and have been for several years. That's the best you're ever going to get. You'll hear bands 'imitate' sounds from the 80's that were once completely new

quote:
Let's say someone made a movie nowadays, and used new music which sounded like music from the past, not like today mind you. And the film in style, look and attitude recaptured the 80's. That if it had a big enough following, it might just regenerate some interest?
You can't recapture the feel of a decade by making a movie which apes the feel of other movies. Any decade in which a person lived is a combination of; society and it's fears / prejudices; music, movies and the rest of popular culture; politics and current events; technology and the 'new' as well as the 'old'. The problem with looking back on an era and longing to be there - if you weren't (or were too young to remember), is that you're only really selectively viewing pieces of content, without any real context in which to put it.

I'll use the example of clothing; not everyone in the 80's looked like the musicians or the magazine models. The 'real' look of the 80's is only to be glimpsed in bits of old TV footage or home movies. If someone said, "I'm going to dress like an original 70's Punk and then it'll almost feel like I'm an original 70's Punk" - I would say, "No it wouldn't. There would need to be a massive amount of urban decay (in which the property market was meaningless). Far more casual sexism / racism / homophobia. No internet / multi-channel TV, no VCR's, computers or DVD's. A total clearing out of *all* the things that followed. And a social reaction that would make you feel like you'd stepped off the moon." If you could do that you *might* recapture the vibe. It's gone. It's never coming back.

The 80's feeling was a mix of the new confidence in America (reflected in movies) after the hangover of the 70's, and the rise of 'pop' music from Britain via MTV (new), and all the new technologies that suddenly entered the home like the VCR and home computers. All of those things are passe now, and they exist in a highly contradictory cynical society.

However, everything is new to the young.

quote:
The fact that the 80's cannot be mimiced in its true form, is the very reason we continue to love the 80's so much...it becomes solely about great memories of that time, knowing you'll not experience that feeling ever again...and that yearning of just wanting to go back there for a day or two is never going to come, so we try to at least capture elements of those feelings in our movies, music, and a few collectables.
^Double this^

quote:
I think the people who hang on to their youth too long, they're, well...they're living in their parents' basement drinking beers.
Not sure about that. Some people who live in the past do fine, and some who don't will fail. Speaking as someone from the UK; if you don't have a really high paying job or a stable two-income relationship - you won't be able to afford a house. A *lot* of people wind up at the family home because of it. Yet another thing that's changed since the 80's.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting thread. Back in the 200X's, I was really getting into '80's nostalgia & going back and re-watching (or watching for the first time) a lot of '80's films. Also, obviously a lot of '80's culture was making a come-back somewhat, i.e. the brief return of "Tab" soda, the return of Garbage Pail Kid stickers, etc.

And, this '80's nostalgia has somewhat bled into the 20XX's as well. I.e., there are still '80's era films coming out in this decade like "Take me Home Tonight" (2011), and last year's "Ping Pong Summer" (2015).

And, thankfully sites like this are still around - even though they probably are not as active as they were in the 200X's.

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm tempted to say that, as it's 2016, the 80s will return in sixty four years time... [Smile]
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw a lady on the news , a news contributor, that had an 80s hairdo. It wad awesome
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home