iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Devo's Take on... Just One Of The Guys

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Devo's Take on... Just One Of The Guys
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

An all time classic. A movie that still holds up because well, later on in the 2000's it becomes I movie that I like alot "She's the Man"

1) The teenagers should get top billing in the credits.

There are only teens as characters in the movie. I mean you never get to see Terri and Buddy's parents.

2) The main characters and main enemies should both be teens.

Again, It's all there, it's in place, a lot of teen on teen angst, with the minimal teacher subplot. It works.

3) There should be a high school scene in the movie (no?)

The class room, the gym (The best speech ever... You go after that seven pin and let'm rip!!!), the lunch room, the bathroom, I mean in my opinion this movie has more high school in it than any other movie? Could this be true?

4) Strength of other plots... Does the movie focus around one character or is it a combination of ideas?

The Buddy subplot might be the best subplot in 80's teen movies, a kid that wants nothing but to get a girl while his parents are away. He's my favorite brother character ever. Not to mention the whole subplot of making Rick cool too.

5) Strength of soundtrack. Are there songs that you got just because of that movie? Is the 90% of it amazing? Without looking now can you name 5 songs? Does it even have 5 good songs?

The soundtrack is Vanilla- Props to Cindy for hooking me up with the song "Had to Learn the Hard Way" from the Prom, but overall it's just ok. I like Secret Admirer's soundtrack better.

6) Does it make people cooler if they have seen it? Or are they not cool because they haven't? Is it truly a crime if they haven't?

Oddly in recent years this movie is getting a lot more street credit, so while I think they are cooler if they have seen it, Netflix might bring this movie back.

7) Finally is there a moral to the end or good vs evil battle of sorts? I would argue a tongue in cheek battle doesn't count. But what is worth more: realization of greatness or victory?

Terri's love of Rick and Terri's ultimate self destruction leaves no questions in the conclusion of this movie.

8) Is it just a movie or are you attached to it because it makes you remember things you or Someone you know did?

It's just fun, I mean you might have cross dressed, but I didn't.

9)Is it a genre piece and is the genre the foundation of the movie?
It's 80's at 80's best, this is the movie that I show to kids when they talk about what kids wore in the 80's, the background characters make you understand not everything was hot pink and neon green. My least favorite falsehood about the 80's is the assumption that everything was neon.

All in all this movie is at the top of my most quotable and the top of the most fun. Someone on this site mentioned something about it also having the most necessary nude scene in movie history.

Is it top ten? To me it barely makes it but I lean more towards yes.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Just One of the Guys" definitely makes my top 10 from a teen movie angle.

You mentioned 80's fashion.. this pic is perfect example:

-

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love it. Should've won a frickin Oscar.

quote:
Someone on this site mentioned something about it also having the most necessary nude scene in movie history.
Me! Most justified breast shot of any teen movie.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go on terry, show us hairy chest.

makes me laugh everytime

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually wacthed it recently for the first time expecting it to be pathetic but was quite surprised.

I started it as a strong skeptic but could not help but laugh in certain places. Then I noticed Billy Zabka is in it, which strengthens the movie straight away.

Buddy Played by Billy Jayne/Jacoby was a very strong and great character. 80's movies always needs sex starved teens and this takes it to the extreme. Classic stuff. He stole the show for me.

I did find Ricks character funny cos he does look like he is about 30 and getting questioned if he is a virgin. But then again what movie doesn't have older people playing teens.

Great movie. Will watch again.

Oh yeah. Great breasts. Thumbs up for me.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It had it all! Fashion, romance, music, and heart!! It is in my top ten "Teen" flicks.

Why don't they make some movies nowadays that take place back in the 80s at a high school, something with the same flavor, and Hot Tub Time Machine doesn't count as one...

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home