iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Why we love Weird Science (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why we love Weird Science
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Weird Science is not in my Top 10, but here are 10 reasons that it probably should be:

1.  Just finding out that the mascot of Shermer High School is a mule is rather cool.  Go Mules!!  Wait.. wasn't it Bulldogs in other Hughes movies?

2.  The quotes:  

"Why are you messing with the fantasy?  We know about the reality!" 

"Yo check us out!"

"Chips, Dips, Chains, Whips"

"Can we keep this between us? I'd hate to lose my teaching job."

But the best line ever from a dream girl .. "You made me.. you control me!"

3.  Wyatt's bedroom and bathroom.. Human League poster, Talking Heads poster, General Public album, fancy desktop computer, Cubs hat, Chicago pics.. but especially the board game "Life" on the table being symbolic similar to the game "Operation" being on Skip's wall in "Valley Girl".

4.  The unbelievable coincidence that Gary and I both dated girls from Canada in high school.  Oh and that Wyatt's sister Chloe is marrying a guy studying to be a vet in Cincinnati Ohio where I currently reside.

-

5.  All the 80's fashion throughout the movie.. Lisa, Wyatt, Gary, Hilly, Deb, Ian, and Max each had a unique style and I appreciate them all.  Especially.. Wyatt's sportcoat and tie that just appeared on him are totally my style. Thought the use of all the concert buttons and pins was so 80's.

6.  Dino, Rudy, Carl your choice.. but our buddy John Kapelos was definitely a fav of John Hughes and always delivered!

7.  The fact that Chet steals the movie in my opinion.  Also, he appears to just be honing his character for Ronnie's fav flick "Aliens" (is it still #1 on her list?   [Wink] .. I've been working hard to convince her that her #2 choice should be instead). Poor Chet .. he was basically turned to a pile of smelly goo in both flicks!

8. Sue the perfume girl..  Jill Whitlow was just adorable in "Night of the Creeps", so it is just a treat to find her in a small, but delightful role in "Weird Science".

-

9.  Meeting the girl of your dreams in the bathroom at a party.. I mean nothing compares to the bathroom scene in "Valley Girl", but the scene with Gary, Deb, Wyatt, and Hilly was funny and romantic.  Next time you watch the movie, pay close attention to how Wyatt holds Hilly's hand throughout the scene after he introduces himself in the bathroom.  Great moment.

btw.. anyone else kinda of consider the Rewind a party with a pretty wicked bathroom after Muffy's public bathrooms thread? 

Public bathrooms in a movie  

10.  Finally .. "Weird Science" brings the tunes.  Cindy Mancini shared the gem "Turn It On" by Kim Wilde recently and that track alone is a masterpiece.  But add in "Private Joy" by Cheyne though I wish it had been Prince, "Weird Science" by Oingo Boingo, "Tesla Girls" by OMD,   and "The Circle" by Max Carl.. 

However, the tune and the scene that makes "Weird Science" so memorable for me is when Wyatt drops Hilly off at her house and she says:

"I'll probably be grounded for a month or so" and Wyatt responds "I'll wait for you." awww!

Then the tune "Tenderness" by General Public from our Neon Dance thread  chimes in!

Tenderness - General Public 

So anyone that doubts my love .. there it is!  [Cool]

[ 28. December 2011, 10:38: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
miss lebrock has some mighty fine hips, quite fetching indeed!
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is one of my favorite movies. saw it in the movies with some friends of mine on a saturday afternoon. that was a great day.

this is one of anthony michael hall's finest.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Weird Science but I'm about to rain on the Lisa parade here with a somewhat "recent" photo of Kelly LeBrock....make of this what you will.

I'm not dissin' her as I certainly don't look now like I did in 1986! I definitely have put on pounds that I don't need! LOL

-

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SHOGUN
Master Rewinder
Member # 477

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for SHOGUN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow..Lisa..Kelly..beautiful!

the soundtrack and the film itself! My childhood memories!

Posts: 199 | From: LONDON | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey i like this current photo of kelly lebrock as well
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, nice bbbb.. pearls [Wink]
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zach
Master Rewinder
Member # 9459

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Zach   Email Zach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That recent photo of Kelly LeBrock is traumatizing to look at. It's almost like seeing a beloved family relative slowly slip away. [Frown]

Anyway, enough mourning on my part. I loved Weird Science the first time I saw it. For the longest time, I always thought that the mall scene was filmed at the Sherman Oaks Galleria, location for many memorable '80s classics (i.e., Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Commando, etc.). The interiors certainly looked the same, but I took some time to check the locations on the Weird Science page here. According to WS's Rewind page, the mall scene was filmed at the Northbrook Court Mall in Northbrook, IL.

As for my favorite things about Weird Science, let's see....

1. Lisa: Yeah, this one pretty much speaks for itself.

2. The soundtrack: One of the main reasons I love '80s teen/college movies is for their soundtracks. You can always count on them to have a mix of popular and obscure '80s songs. General Public, Van Halen, OMD, Oingo Boingo, Wall of Voodoo, Los Lobos, Kim Wilde, and Ratt is perhaps one of the best soundtracks in terms of the diversity of artists and genres represented. Private School is another one that has a really eclectic soundtrack.

3. Michael Berryman as the leader of the mutant bikers. Berryman is one of my favorite character actors so it was a nice treat to see him turn up here.

4. Sue the perfume saleswoman. I have to second Valley's love for Jill Whitlow. She is one of those actresses who could have and should have gotten bigger than she did. She seemed so natural and down-to-earth in just about every role she had, no matter how small or large it was.

There's lots of other things I love about Weird Science, but I don't want to recycle what others have already said.

Posts: 122 | From: Beverly, MA | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rymo
Rewind Curious
Member # 9684

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for rymo   Email rymo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why I LOVE Weird Science!
 -

Posts: 3 | From: TX | Registered: May 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched it, again!
Every time i rewatch this movie, i love it more and more.

Girls, why don´t you just agree with me. 80s fashion rules supreme!
Please bring it back, pretty please...

Valley mentioned the posters.
You can also see Y&T´s In Rock We Trust (1984) album cover poster in Wyatt´s bedroom.

-

And this original movie poster just rocks!

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just re-read this thread, thanks for the bump, aTomik!

I am so in the mood for this one now. Everyone's posts were great on this topic. [Smile]

The lines are awesome and it's always good to see Robert Rusler.. even though he's a jerk-wad in this one.

As for the tunes I loooove the Van Halen cover of '(Oh) Pretty Woman', used in the scene when Max and Ian spot Lisa on the escalator, HAHA!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Ronnie, I say "Jerk-wad" all the time!

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home