iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Survival Quest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Survival Quest
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"Survival Quest" revolves around a group of teenagers on the verge of growing up who decide to take on an incredible challenge before moving forward with their lives.

-

The idea behind the Survival Quest retreat is the brainchild of Hank played by Lance Henrikson. Hank wants to teach young adults how to fend for themselves not only in the wilds of nature but in life itself. An even deeper training of the program is to have each of the individuals learn to work as a team and community to survive. One of the tests of true leadership and the ability to work together is that Hank changes who will lead the group each day during the retreat. The members of Survival Quest are run afoul when a competing militaristic group decides to make camp in the same area. There is a conflict between the two group's philosophy which comes to a boiling point when one of the military groups accidentally kills someone and will do anything to bury the truth of his actions at the costs of innocent lives. Now the members of Survival Quest must truly take what they have learned and survive not only the wilderness of nature but man as well.

-

"Survival Quest" is a hidden gem of flick.. so many great things for fans of the 80's. First off, Lance Henriksen is so good in it as the leader of Survival Quest. Great performances from both Dermot Mulroney and Catherine Keener as well. But the my fav character is Olivia played by Traci Lind who has become a new fav of mine since seeing her in "Fright Night Part II". Finally, most of us loathed Steve Antin in "The Last American Virgin".. well he only cements his reputation as a despicable character in this flick.

I don't think I ever shared this before.. but my company actually sent us to a survival quest called Otter Creek. I went into it with a very skeptical attitude and came back with what I can only say now was an amazing experience. Most of the stuff in the movie is right out of the training course that I was involved in. I highly recommend both the course and this movie.

Ronnie.. I know you are a fan of Lance Henriksen and this movie is currently on Netflix. You should definitely check it out!

Something that might interest others is the fact that this movie was written and directed by Don Coscarelli from "Phantasm" and "BubbaHo-Tep" fame.

I remember aTomiK mentioning "Survival Quest" once, but can't remember if he enjoyed it or not.

[ 10. January 2011, 16:42: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After I watched that movie with Dermot Mulroney the other day I looked him up on Netflix and saved this in my que! I will let you know what I think.........there are way too many stars I love in it to not watch it! [Smile]
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I've seen this one before. I'll keep my eyes open for it. Thanks, Valley.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:

Ronnie.. I know you are a fan of Lance Henriksen and this movie is currently on Netflix. You should definitely check it out!

valley, i didn't even see this topic before lol..

thanks for suggesting it..i have never heard of this movie! i am so watching this one. [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy, SA, and Ronnie.. time to watch this flick for a little weekend in-house adventure!

Muffs.. Dermot Mulroney is great in it. You'll barely be able to recognized Catherine Keener at first.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will check this out for sure. It's amazing ya think your an 80's buff and boom all these other movies. It's good though cos it gives me more 80's to watch. Hooray.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley, I kinda got excited that I saw Fred Ward in your second pic, front left corner, but after checking the cast it seems he's not in the film. So who is that guy in the pic?
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
SA.. Fred Ward would have been terrific in "Survival Quest", but that is actually Paul Provenza. You'll recognize him from several different tv shows from the 80's and 90's.
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley, i need help with this please...im not sure if survival quest is the movie im thinking of or not but it sounds familiar. The movie in my mind is about a group of teens combating for real some other group - exactly like this one...but is this the movie im thinking of or is there another like this?
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Oneyed.. it turns into that after the movie gets going.. but not at the start.. the combat was not intended. Does that make sense without giving the movie away to others that are yet to watch it?
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, nobody remembers our little rant
Useless stuff...

survival quest the original nonsense

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Oneyed.. it turns into that after the movie gets going.. but not at the start.. the combat was not intended. Does that make sense without giving the movie away to others that are yet to watch it?

yeah valley kind off...im sure the movie i might be thinking of is exactly like this but not this. What im thinking of is about a bunch of teens on their own in the wilderness, forest type of stuff defending themselves...maybe this is it. Ill have a look.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
ok got it valley...its red dawn im thinking of...i think it might have been called wolverines in australia.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home