iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Can you argue with this list of Top 10 80s Teen Movies? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Can you argue with this list of Top 10 80s Teen Movies?
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is not in ranking order of 1-10, this is just a list of the top 10 teen 80s movies. If you think a different movie should be in there, tell us which one BUT you have to tell us which movie you're taking off of the list. Your opinions are wanted. What do you think?

Sixteen Candles
Valley Girl
Some Kind Of Wonderful
Weird Science
The Breakfast Club
Pretty In Pink
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Can't Buy Me Love
Say Anything
Fast Times At Ridgemont High

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I'll start. Better off dead is a billion times better than Weird Science. Don't get me wrong. I love Weird Science to but it is the weakest movie there.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Secret Admirer.. excellent list of movies and fun game..

I'll start with a couple of easy ones for me:

The Karate Kid on - Pretty In Pink off

Just One of the Guys on - Weird Science off

Now it gets tricky.. are these considered teen movies?

The Lost Boys

Night of the Comet

If so... they are in my top 5 and I'll need to rework the list again

Here's the ones on your list that stay on mine no matter what..

Valley Girl
Can't Buy Me Love
Sixteen Candles

Finally.. a couple for my own personal top ten that I wouldn't expect to make a group top ten:

The Heavenly Kid
RAD

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Secret Admirer:
This is not in ranking order of 1-10, this is just a list of the top 10 teen 80s movies. If you think a different movie should be in there, tell us which one BUT you have to tell us which movie you're taking off of the list. Your opinions are wanted. What do you think?

Sixteen Candles
Valley Girl
Some Kind Of Wonderful
Weird Science
The Breakfast Club
Pretty In Pink
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Can't Buy Me Love
Say Anything

Lose Fast Times. Add Risky Business.
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are bringing up some good ones! I had a hard time leaving off Footloose. Obviously, "teen movie" is subjective, but I just tried to come up with the best movies that were were mostly about teen life and didn't stray into other themes too heavily.

Thanks for your input so far! Keep it comin' [Smile]

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would switch Weird Science with Heathers.

Valley, I think Lost Boys and Night of the Comet are definitely teen movies!

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would replace Pretty in Pink or Sixteen Candles, or maybe even both. You only really need 1 Molly Ringwald movie on a list like this I think. And Breakfast Club would be it for me. And yea, I'd definitely add Footloose.

And though I do love Weird Science...I think I'd replace that with Porkys.

I'm also thinking Revenge of the Nerds should be included somewhere...true, it's a movie about college, Not Highschool...but it was one of my favs during my highschool years.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't think weird science should be in there. and as much as i don't care for fast times, i think THAT movie should be there.

i would definitely add heathers. [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with the girls I think Heathers needs to be on there....because it was dark....now I LOVE Say Anything.....but I think i'd drop it for Heathers......and maybe Weird Science dropped for The Lost Boys........A sweet romantic teen movie for a dark romantic teen movie.....and a fantasy teen movie...for a darker fantasy teen movie.........maybe i'm darker!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's your damage Near Dark Muffy?

Well, if "The Lost Boys" and "Night of the Comet" count as teen flicks .. Goodbye to you "Pretty In Pink" and "Weird Science".. sorry Chet!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Kreese
Master Rewinder
Member # 9369

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for John Kreese   Email John Kreese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to take out "Some kind of wonderful", "pretty in pink", and "say anything".

Replace with "The Karate Kid", "Lost Boys", and "Footloose".

Posts: 144 | Registered: Jan 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
warriorwoman73
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 9316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for warriorwoman73   Email warriorwoman73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stand By Me was excellent - although certainly not in the same vein as these other classics. [Smile] Good list - I'd take out "Pretty in Pink", "Some Kind of Wonderful", "Say Anything" and "Can't Buy Me Love" - although all were great flicks. I'd add "The Lost Boys", "Revenge of the Nerds", "Footloose", and "Caddyshack" for sure.
Posts: 22 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Dec 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Near Dark Muffy here,

I didn't see what Secret-A said about "not straying away too much from Teen life"

So I might need to chuck Lost Boys(not realistic enough).......I still think Heathers is great because even though it was extreme....the bullying could be realistic!

Warriorwoman.......Caddyshack???? hahaha is there a "teen" even in the movie?? [Big Grin]

We Are NEAR DARK MUFFY

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i completely skipped over footloose! you have to have footloose. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ok, you guys have almost convinced me to replace Weird Science with....well....anything! Poor Weird Science, it's taking a beating here [Big Grin]

You have all brought up some really good choices, but Tepperman did not make a case for Teen Witch?

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Near Dark Muffy. Good stuff. Caddyshack isn't even a thought.

I do agree with the Revenge of the Nerds and Just One of the Guys selections. Teen Witch is a great movie but top ten? No way. Heathers I might make a case for maybe Lucas also possibly on stars in the movie alone. I'll keep thinking about this.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Weird Science' is gone. Maybe 'Say Anything' too. I want one of the other Hughes movies gone, but I struggle with which one. But now... what to replace them with?

Just One of the Guys
Heathers
Lucas
Karate Kid

[ 09. January 2011, 07:03: Message edited by: logan5 ]

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Kreese
Master Rewinder
Member # 9369

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for John Kreese   Email John Kreese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, a lot of hate for the classic Weird Science.

Karate Kid absolutely has to be on there, no question about it. I didn't include Revenge of the Nerds, only because I am thinking just high school movies.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Jan 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
I love how everyone has made sure to say they don't "hate" Weird Science it's just the weaker on the list........weaker but still TOP TEN material! [Smile]

OMG OMG How did I forget Teen Witch hahaha

I'm actually feeling Lucas.....although a top ten??? maybe 12 or 13?

JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you people mental?? There's NO WAY you're cutting Fast Times from an 80's teen flick list! That's like cutting The Godfather from a mob movie list! Whether you like it or not, it more or less set the template for anything that followed! It stays!

Now, following that stern, but much needed, reprimande, I will give you my picks [Smile]

Sixteen Candles- Stays.

Valley Girl- Stays.

Some Kind Of Wonderful- This I would cut, and put in the awesomeness that is Tuff Turf!

Weird Science- I dig WS, but it has to go for The Karate Kid, as others pointed out!

The Breakfast Club- That's a given.

Pretty In Pink- Hmmm... i'd cut this for three reasons. No chemistry between leads, Duckie... I ****ing hate that guy, and the ugliest prom dress in history! True, im no expert on womens wear, but even I could tell that, that thing belonged in the damn dumpster! Spader is awesomely douchy in this movie though, but PP has to go. And i'd replace it with Lost Boys!

Ferris Bueller's Day Off- Im aware of the cult like status of this movie, but I just don't like it. i'd put the much superior Three O' Clock High in it's place!

Can't Buy Me Love- Duuuuh!

Say Anything- Bla bla boombox scene, bla bla, kickboxing, sport of the future, bla bla, Frasier's dad steals from old people.... we get it! No, seriously, this flick has its moments. But dare i substitute it with the admittedly lighter, but more enjoyable The Sure Thing? I think I dare.

Fast Times At Ridgemont High- Double duuuuuh! The original, the real McCoy, the cat's pajamas! How dare you cut this [Eek!]

Anyway, that's my two cents....

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Kreese
Master Rewinder
Member # 9369

Member Rated:
ok, I am declaring this to be the "correct" list. I left out ROTN because I am including only high school movies as that is what i define a "teen" movie.

Ferris Bueller
Karate Kid
Breakfast Club
16 Candles
Footloose
Fast Times
Valley Girl
Weird Science
Can't Buy Me Love
Back to the Future

- Honorable Mention:
Just One of the Guys
Better Off Dead
Say Anything
Pretty in Pink
Some Kind of Wonderful
Tuff Turf

[ 08. January 2011, 12:00: Message edited by: John Kreese ]

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if we're talking just Highschool 'Comedies' here??...Cuz if not..then I have a couple more suggestions...

Stand & Deliver
Fame
Lean on Me
The Outsiders

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would replace the bottom four on the Secret Admirer's original list...yes...that's right...I said it. Away goes anoying Ferris, Can't Buy Me Love (only cause my wife has made me watch it one million times), and "Say Anything" and "Fast Times" are off my list, only because I didn't see them when I was young in the 80's...I like em...but they missed my most imprsssionable years. So....add The Karate Kid, Back To The Future, Gremlins, and...wait for it.....FLASHDANCE! Ok...if these don't count as teen movies....I'm OK with the original list.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

for the record, i don't 'hate' weird science. [Big Grin]

i think it's a hilarious flick, but top ten TEEN movies... no.. they create a woman from a doll lol..

i said fast times should stay but i do not like that movie.
someone mentioned Lucas.. and yes! that is a great choice...it should probably knock heathers off the revised list [Smile]

Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
Whoa, the controversy is heating up!

I will say this, only because it has been brought up maybe the most in this thread, but I don't see The Lost Boys as a teen movie. It strays into vampire/horror/thriller territory way more than it spotlights teenage behavior and lifestyle. So that is why I would not include it on this list.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home