iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » 80s Television » Highway to Heaven (1984-1989)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Highway to Heaven (1984-1989)
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Synopsis (Wiki):

The series stars Michael Landon as Jonathan Smith, an angel sent down to earth "on probation", and his human companion Mark Gordon, played by Victor French. Jonathan and Mark are given "assignments" by "The Boss" (God) where they are required to use their humanity (and sometimes a little bit of "The Stuff") in order to help various troubled souls to overcome their problems. Examples of these problems include families dealing with sick loved ones; wealthy and greedy businessmen being encouraged to use their wealth for good; and discouraging prejudice in regards to people of different ethnicities, appearances, or socioeconomic backgrounds or who have disabilities. While dealing with these situations with sensitivity, Highway to Heaven also used humor – particularly between Jonathan and Mark. Their personalities often clashed (Jonathan being more sensible and compassionate but naive, and Mark being more pragmatic and cynical), but they always supported each other. Jonathan's mission on Earth was to do enough good so that he could 'earn his wings' and presumably, ascend to heaven. Due to the close relationship that builds between Jonathan and Mark, this becomes a contentious issue as Mark doesn't want to lose his friend to "The Boss", and sometimes tries to prevent it from happening.

My Review:

I remember growing up seeing this show on our TV alot. My family loved this show, and my mother and sister even had a bit of a crush on Michael Landon if memory serves correctly. Back then I didn't really care for it. Hey, I was a hyper-active kid who had much better things to do. I didn't need to be wasting my time watching some preachy show about angels and God and all that.
Now here it is, 20 some odd years later, and now I'm watching the show regularly. Damn my family and their influential ways..lol.
Naw, all kidding aside I think this is a pretty good show. Yes, it can get a bit preachy at times. But no more than alot of other popular family TV shows did at the times. Michael Landon produces, co-directs, and plays the part of Jonathan Smith (The Angel) in this drama series. So he was pretty much the head honcho of this show. Though Landon does a fine job in the lead role, my favorite character has to be his co-star and human companion Mark Gordon played greatly by Victor French. What little humor this show does have more often than not comes from French himself due to his character's cynical and "human" nature. Though the squables between both he and Landon are pretty laughable too.

-

So overall, this is a genuinely heart-warming TV series. Yes, it does tend to get pretty preachy at times. But I suppose that's part of this show's appeal. So if you don't mind a show of heavy drama mixed with a good dose of religion, then I say it's safe to give this one a watch. The series DVDs are available for purchase online, and I'm sure there are stores that sell it as well. And it's also being shown again regularly on the Gospel Music Channel (GMC).

-

[ 13. June 2011, 13:12: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember watching Higway to Heaven when i was a kid.
Nice sunday afternoon entertainment.

Yes, it´s preachy but you can preach a little on sundays [Wink]

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cmon, I know there are more people here who watched this show too.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCU
Master Rewinder
Member # 2851

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JCU   Email JCU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Landon and French complimented each other perfectly in this wonderful program and I find it even better watching it today then it's original airing.

Viewers were given a well thought out commentary on the issues of the day unlike today where things seem to get far too personal.

Johnathan, going against the wishes of God, ripping the trunk off the vehicle of a goon who just stole a chicken dinner from a bf/gf is classic and was just one of many times showing that an Angel has emotions.

Posts: 115 | From: Northeastern PA | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched it off and on as a teenager. It was well written show and Landon and French had perfect chemistry.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched it a couple times...I remember in one ep, the guy who played Issac in Children of the Corn was in it, and he was homeless or something and could barely afford to feed his cat...well being a cat lover that ep just tore me up LOL.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megaforce
Senior Rewinder
Member # 7183

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Megaforce   Email Megaforce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not know this series existed until a few years ago, when I stumbled across it on youtube. And since I loved Little House on the Prairie, I had to buy the first season of Highway to heaven just to see how it was, and it only cost me 5 dollar... After that I was stuck in this amazing series ...
Posts: 70 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Watching it again now myself and I must say I'm definitely enjoying it more now than I did when it was originally on when I was a kid.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home