iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » 80s Television » Square Pegs (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Square Pegs
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm up to episode 7 now. I think my favorite episode so far was the Halloween one! I liked that little game they played with the notes, so 80's.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veronica.. the Devo episode will change all that! ha

Actually the Halloween episode is my fav too! [Cool]

Hey Ronster.. did you finish all of the episodes?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so glad you guys are discovering it that didn't know it!!

It's such a great example of 80s goodness........fashion ,tunes, sitcomness.......but really most of all it was so well written I can't say it enough!!

Watch the extras it's worth it!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only watched the few that were on YouTube... but I liked them! I'm not too keen on the characters that are written to be extra-dumb (the blonde guy, the Italiano guy and his GF) but apart from that it's lots of fun. Some of the interviews with the cast are on YouTube too.

Random thoughts:

SJP is really likeable in this.

I think Tracy Nelson is a FOX! (There's a 'Celebrity Hauntings' thing on YouTube with her that will freak you out - don't watch it!)

"We've created a monster!"
"We didn't create a monster - Mr and Mrs Tepperman did!"

That's it.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok i am done with all episodes and the extras! [Smile]

i'm glad i got through it and took my time with it. the interviews were all great and interesting.

and i had no idea about Johnny Slash [Frown] . what a cute guy and when the cast talked about him, they had a lot of nice things to say.

i did notice all the comments on Bill Murray and everyone sort of hinting how 'odd' he was on set. ha

best episode...halloween one, same as you guys! it's truly a cute show, glad i checked it out!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Square Pegs" was a great series. I never saw it when it was originally out, but about 6-7 years ago I finally caught the whole series on DVD.

I didn't realize until watching the show on DVD that it starred Sarah Jessica Parker, who went on to achieve much greater fame in the 200X hit comedy, "Sex and the City".

It was also cool that the iconic '80's rock group "The Waitresses" wrote/sung the theme song to the series; note that TW are best known for their iconic Christmas song, "Christmas Wrapping" - that you still sometimes hear on the radio around the holidays.

Trivia: The actor who played Johnny Slash also played Captain Kirk's son in "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" - not a huge fan of the Trek films, but I will say this is one of the best in the series.

[ 23. February 2017, 19:50: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember watching this when I was in middle school. I didn't watch a lot of episodes, because we normally had to watch whatever my parents wanted to watch, and they hated this show. I'll have to look on YouTube to see if there are any episodes. The thing that sticks out for me was Muffy's campaign to feed the starving children of Guatemala!
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember seeing bits & pieces of Square Pegs when it was originally on TV back in the '80's, but not only did I think it was a "girl's" show (LOL), but I was in middle school at the time, and the show was about high school kids - so, I didn't think I could relate to the series too well - LOL.

However, when I finally caught this years later my '80's nostalgia was in full swing, so I appreciated it all the more.

In general, I've noticed that many TV shows/movies & even music that I didn't care for as a kid, I'll end up liking as an adult. Our tastes sometimes really do change as we get older.

It looks like Amazon is selling the entire series on DVD for a truly incredible price. I'm actually surprised the DVD set is still available - it first came out in 2008, so I would have thought it would be Out-of-print (OOP) by now:

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Pegs-Sarah-Jessica-Parker/dp/B00151QYT4

[ 23. February 2017, 19:49: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home