iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » 80s Television » Magnum P.I. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Magnum P.I.
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Magnum P.I. follows the exciting adventures of private investigator Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV (Tom Selleck) and his three close friends as they live their lives on the beautiful island of Oahu in Hawaii.

-

Magnum is an ex-U.S. Navy SEAL and ONI officer. His friends are T.C. (Roger E. Mosley), an ex-U.S. Marine helicopter pilot and small business owner, Rick (Larry Manetti), an ex-U.S. Marine door gunner and private beach club manager, and British socialite and majordomo Jonathan Quayle Higgins III (John Hillerman), an ex-British Army Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM) and MI6 intelligence officer. Okay, it was questionable for awhile if Higgins was really Magnum's friend, but over time you realized that he truly had Magnum's back.

The show aired on CBS for eight seasons, from December 1980 to May 1988.

I actually watched this show quite abit in the late 80's. Though, I probably caught most of the episodes on re-runs because I really missed a ton of tv shows because it was far more important to me to enjoy the 80's nightlife back then.

The "Magnum P.I." locations where incredible and they always had great guest stars!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched it off and on through the 80's. btw, Larry Manetti is on an episode of Celebrity Ghost Stories, on BIO channel. I haven't gotten to finish the episode yet, so I don't know what his ghost story was about. I also like Selleck's new series, Blue Bloods, which is on tonight. Still waiting for him to sport a Hawaiian shirt just once in an episode.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Manliest moustache EVER.........
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember watching some episodes back in the day.
I just bought the season one set last week.

It´s -30 celsius outside here right now,
i think that i´m going to take a trip to Hawaii next week with Tom Selleck and the gang...

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnum - The biggest free loader in televsion history.

I wonder what Robin Masters' would have thought when he checked the mileage on his Ferrari.

I read somewhere that Selleck turned down the role of Indiana Jones because he wanted to do this show instead. It's probably a good thing. I can't imagine those movies with Selleck in.

I used to love the show as a young kid, but have seen it recently and that was enough for me.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I read somewhere that Selleck turned down the role of Indiana Jones because he wanted to do this show instead. It's probably a good thing. I can't imagine those movies with Selleck in.
I think the story is that the producers wanted him, but he couldn't get out of doing Magnum.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always loved the intro music for Magnum.

Click here if you want to relive it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CquMO3vJvo

It looks so cool how the chopper starts to nose dive.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched the 2-part pilot and the China Doll episode earlier this week and i like it.
It´s pretty slow but entertaining.

In the early 80s it was enough if you had a fancy sportscar, a helicopter and nice location.
That was already a good basis for a tv-show.

But i like the cast too.
Easygoing guys with a sense of humor (well, maybe we should leave Higgins out [Smile] )

It was nice to see Robert Loggia and Judge Reinhold in the pilot.
Very early role for Reinhold.

-

In the China Doll episode there was a deadly wing chung killer on the loose with throwing stars.
Cool stuff!
And if every episode includes these lovely women in bikinis,
i´m going to like this even more [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Meanwhile in Hawaii...

It was about time to watch some Magnum episodes.

Episode 1.4 "Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too"

"Five little schoolgirls from New Hampshire ask Magnum to find their missing teacher." (IMDB)
This was a decent episode, not much action but some fun & silly situations.

Cute female guest star Katherine Cannon and the brats.
 -

Episode 1.5 "No Need To Know"

"Magnum is hired to protect a British Brigadier who is hunted by the IRA." (IMDb)

Political episode. Some action but the two very pretty guest stars save this one.

Mariko Van Kampen and Robin Dearden ( Stitches )
 -

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Episode 1.6. "Skin Deep"

This was a good one.
Nice little murder mystery, funny jokes, action and Vietnam flashbacks.
Guest stars: hot Cathie Shirriff, solid Ron Masak and always cool "Mr. Lovejoy" Ian McShane.

McShane having a bad day "i need another drink"
 -

Shirriff as former exploitation movie star Erin Wolfe
 -

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good reviews Atom.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks, man! Love watching these in the middle of the winter.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
A little taste of tropical paradise! And that's just Tom Sellecks shorts...
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Episode 1.7. "Never Again, Never Again."

Pretty enjoyable episode but no pretty ladies!
Nice nagging between the regulars, good plot twist, Magnum looking at the camera... i´m really starting to like this show.

Higgins in action
 -

"Nazis in Hawaii?" "You better believe it, Thomas"
 -

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Episode 1.8. "The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii"

Pretty good action packed episode.
Cute Shawn Hoskins guest stars with Michael Nader (Dex Dexter from Dynasty).
The score gets a facelift and this was the first episode which includes new Mike Post theme tune.

Higgins mentions that tennis stars Bjorn Borg and Jimmy Connors are going to stay on the estate
but sadly we can´t see them as guest stars.
Fun bloopers and outtakes during the end credits.

Shawn praying that Magnum won´t leave her alone with the dog
 -

thenodfather
Master Rewinder
Member # 8732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for thenodfather   Email thenodfather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved that television show. One set in a sunny location and the people looked allot more natural over the monstrosities you get today.
John Hillerman did an amazing job with the posh English accent. He is from Texas and the two are quite distinct so to be able to mask his own.
I found it always entertaining and a great watch.

Posts: 239 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Episode 1.9. "Missing in Action"

"Magnum is hired by a new singer at the King Kamehameha Club to find her fiancé
who is listed as MIA during the Vietnam War." (IMDb)

Another good one. We can see Magnum shooting and even threatening(!) the bad guys.
Higgings uses his hypnosis skills and there´s funny nagging between Magnum and T.C.
Rebecca Holden co-stars with Lance LeGault, Jeff MacKay and Francisco Lagueruela.

Superhot Rebecca Holden with Thomas
 -

Higgins hypnotizing
 -

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Episode 1.10. "Lest We Forget"

Nice little story set in 1941 and modern day 1981.
Interesting cast:
June Lockhart and Jose Ferrer play characters in the present day
and their real life children Anne Lockhart and Miguel Ferrer play the same characters in the 1941 scenes.
This was Miguel Ferrer´s first acting job.
We can also see very pretty Miss Hawaii 1978 Elizabeth Lindsey and always good Scatman Crothers in this one.

Selleck and Lindsey.
 -

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Episode 1.11. "The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club"

Evil kahuna places a curse on Rick and the King Kamehameha Club.
Who is behind this and why?

Decent mystery episode, not much action in this one.
The guest-stars are Gretchen Corbett and Lew Ayres.
Few good jokes, T.C. breaking the fourth wall and the King Kamehameha Club Surf Ski Race.

-

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Episode 1.12. "Thicker Than Blood"

"TC flies out to a freighter at sea during the night to smuggle a Marine deserter back to the U.S." (IMDb)

Well, T.C. gets arrested so Magnum and Rick try to prove that he´s innocent.
Pretty good stuff. We get to see Magnum/T.C. fist fight, some Magnum/Higgins nagging
and Magnum with a gorilla AND Groucho mask [Smile]

Don´t be afraid, it´s only Magnum
 -

Episode 1.13. "All Roads Lead to Floyd"

"Magnum is hired by a woman from Kansas to find her father who she has not seen for ten years." (IMDb)

This was a very funny episode with a great supporting cast:
Noah Beery Jr., Red West, Andy Romano and the cute girls Anne Bloom (The Dirt Bike Kid), Deborah Hedquist and Elissa Dulce Hoopai as Vicki.

Red West in action
 -

Vicki invites Magnum to a party
 -

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
The summer is gone so it´s time to head back to Hawaii [Smile]

Episode 1.14 "Adelaide"

"A woman hires Magnum to protect "Norman," a prized show horse" (IMDb)

Not among the best episodes but still pretty decent.
Co-starring Christine Belford (Christine, The Ladies Club) and b-action legend Cameron Mitchell.

Rick and T.C. take the first Hawaii international horse show seriously
 -

Episode 1.15. "Don't Say Goodbye"

"Agatha Kimball, a wealthy blind woman, is being blackmailed and she hires Magnum to pay the blackmailer." (IMDb)

This was much better. Cool little story and some very funny moments.
The co-stars are pre-Cheers Ted Danson, Andrea Marcovicci (The Hand, The Stuff) and Mercedes McCambridge.

Ted "i could have been the next Michael Myers" Danson
 -

ViennaRage
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 13710

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ViennaRage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good old 80s slightly cheesy, adventurous fun! [Smile] I love the show.
Posts: 20 | From: Beaverton, Oregon | Registered: Oct 2012 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
The last three first season episodes:

Episode 1.16 "The Black Orchid"

"A rich, bored woman, married to one of the richest men in Hawaii, hires Magnum to act out some of her "games,"
but then the "games" become reality." (IMDb)

Crazy idea here and i usually like crazy ideas but this one was only so-so.
The co-stars are Judith Chapman, John Ireland and Kathryn Leigh Scott.

Magnum "relaxing" with Louise.
 -

Episode 1.17. "J. 'Digger' Doyle"

"Thieves are attempting to steal tapes of Robin Masters' new book.
Magnum joins forces with security expert J. "Digger" Doyle to prevent the theft." (IMDb)

One of the best episodes of the season!
Orson Welles guest stars as the voice of Robin Masters, lots of action
and one of the most beautiful co-stars ever, Erin Gray (Six Pack).

They even tried to create a spin-off series starring Erin Gray as "Digger" Doyle but the series was not ordered.

Rick is drinking fruit juice, Magnum has a beer while they both are enjoying the view
 -

Episode 1.18. "Beauty Knows No Pain"

"A woman from Bayonne, New Jersey hires Magnum for one day to find her fiancé." (IMDb)

Nice, humorous season finale.
Co-star Marcia Wallace (The Simpsons, My Mom's a Werewolf) is both good and annoying at the same time.
T.C. gets Magnum to compete in the Ironman triathlon to give Island Hoppers (his helicopter company) some publicity
and we get lots of laughs out of that idea.

Magnum in a bus eating a day old sandwich
 -

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i base my wardrobe off of magnum and sonny crockett
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
So, i noticed from another thread that Bernie just watched season three and liked it.
I watched seasons 2 and 3 while the site was down and still love this show. Very good stuff.
Going to check out season four later.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home