iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » 80s Television » Hulk Hogan's Rock and Wrestling

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hulk Hogan's Rock and Wrestling
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does everyone think of this? While the writing may have been comparatively simplistic, the program does have a certain charm to it, and the inter-episode live action segments are amusing (the best being Heenan building up to telling we the viewers what made him so great, only to end up flying off the handle when informed he'd used up all his allotted time). One almost wishes they'd started the series at a later time so that more of the Golden Age's all-time greats could have thus been immortalized (although, nothing says they couldn't redo it as such today if the rights for the lucky wrestlers could be cleared and Vince could put aside any ill will he may have towards some persons in question; certainly a lot of fans would enjoy seeing an animated DiBiase, Macho, and Jake to name but several of the more obvious choices)
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the WWF as a kid but stopped watching after Wrestlemania 4....didn't even once catch this program Chris. But good point about the legends...add George the Animal Steele, Ricky The Dragon Steamboat, Big John Studd, Junk Yard Dog, Andre' Thr Giant, Hillbilly Jim, Brutus the Barber Beefcake....and so many more! Ahhhh...I just may have to go and watch Wrestlemania 3!
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amaranth
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8882

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for amaranth   Email amaranth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember this my brother and i were big fans of wrestling when it hit scotland, i remember the cartoon i think my bro still has them on video at my mums. My son watches WWE from time to time now its all so different
Posts: 456 | From: Scotland uk | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a huge fan of the classic WWF in the 80's! I agree with amaranth, it's not the same at all anymore.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kevdugp73:
I loved the WWF as a kid but stopped watching after Wrestlemania 4....didn't even once catch this program Chris. But good point about the legends...add George the Animal Steele, Ricky The Dragon Steamboat, Big John Studd, Junk Yard Dog, Andre' Thr Giant, Hillbilly Jim, Brutus the Barber Beefcake....and so many more! Ahhhh...I just may have to go and watch Wrestlemania 3!

Indeed, there's so many you could add to a revival that inevitably somebody worthy would get left out. My personal dream list would be:

GOOD GUYS: Hulk, Andre, Macho, Elizabeth, Bret Hart, Davey Boy Smith (with Mathilda), Ricky Steamboat, the Big Boss Man, Tito Santana, Hacksaw Duggan

BAD GUYS: Piper (although since he's said he preferred being the good guy, I'd at least offer him the chance to switch if he'd prefer), Ted DiBiase (with Virgil), Jake the Snake (he was at his best as the almost Satanic villain, most fans seem to concur), Sensational Sherri, Rick Rude, the Undertaker (original villainous Western mortician, with Paul Bearer), Mr. Perfect, the Sheik, Volkoff, Earthquake

I'd personally say it was good a little longer, with Wrestlemania 8 being the end point of the party for me (end of Hulk's primary run, Macho gets one last shot on top with the last storyline involving his soon to be ex-wife, the next generation starts to rise); true, though, it's gone largely downhill since then, with few persons today able to effectively keep anyone's attention. Although, as with anything else, there's always hope for the future...

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home