iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » 80s Television » best 80s game show (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: best 80s game show
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The decade was a golden age for them, and I'm glad to say I caught pretty much all of them either in their initial runs or on USA when they ran their much lamented afternoon game show block. Which, then, would you say most encapsiliated the decade and all that was great about it while being a great game itself? For extra emphasis, I'll subdivide this into those game shows that aired entirely in their intial run in the 80s, and those that began earlier and lasted into the decade and in some cases beyond. As such:

ENTIRELY 80s: a dead tie with Wheel of Fortune and Press Your Luck. While the former has slipped a bit in recent years (perhaps in a way it lost a bit of its luster once the glmaorous 80s moved behind it, and certainly updating the theme so much it's lost its base didn't help), it's no wonder Pat and Vanna have been there close to 30 years now, as they've always been on top of their craft. A nice simple game, lots of cash and prizes, and of course the big colorful wheel helped as well. For the latter, you may say in hindsight PYL WAS the 80s, perhaps even a definitive program thereof. There was genuine suspense every time the board was spin (unless you followed in Michael Larsen's footsteps and memorized it), the promise of unlimited loot if you were good enough on the plunger, and of course the highly amusing Whammy animations (my favorite probably being the Boy George one ("Who would ever hurt a Whammy? Who would ever want...(he gets hammered) OOOOOOWWW!!!!")) and Lee Ringuette's terrific theme hold up everything great about the decade and what it stood for

PRIOR: No real debate here, as it has to be TPIR for me. Every show was like a party--still is to a large degree even without Bob these days--with no 2 alike, a terrific group of pricing games (Plinko, Master Key, One Away, Pathfinder, and the much missed Super Ball (!!) all debuted during the 80s), the classic group of models (even knowing they were largely at each others' throats and Bob's and vice versa the whole time these days, it doesn't detract), 2 grade A announcers in both Johnny and Rod, and so much else I can't remember off hand right now; it was clear the show was at its absolute zenith in the 80s, and I owe it for making me even competent with math. Honorable mention would go to Tic-Tac-Dough; while of course it dropped off after Wink left, and the ill-advised remake with Patrick Wayne might have killed the franchise, it was still one terrific show while it lasted, with easy enough game play (different enough from Hollywood Squares to allow both shows to be appreciated on their own), and oh yeah, need I forget the Dragon, scariest and most intimidating game show villain this side of a Bankruptcy space?

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to love watching "Let's Make A Deal". For me, it reeks 80's...the set, the audience in their costumes, ol' Monty runnin the show...lots of good memories from this one....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kevdugp73:
I used to love watching "Let's Make A Deal". For me, it reeks 80's...the set, the audience in their costumes, ol' Monty runnin the show...lots of good memories from this one....

One of my faves too! The costumes reminded me of Halloween which made it awesome. Family Feud and Price is Right rocked as well.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of "Wheel of Fortune" .. wasn't Chuck Woolery the original host?

And we all know Chuck Woolery from the infamous "Love Connection" that started in the 80's.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about "American Gladiators," a show that spawned all the current physical challenge shows?
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Speaking of "Wheel of Fortune" .. wasn't Chuck Woolery the original host?

And we all know Chuck Woolery from the infamous "Love Connection" that started in the 80's.

Yep, Chuck hosted Wheel from its inception in 1975 thru 1981, when he left due to a contract dispute with Merv Griffin, who then picked up Pat, and the rest is history. Let's also remember, too, Chuck terrific run on Scrabble, which is pretty high on the decade's best shows as well.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved wheel of fortune after school, i remember sayin to my self 'i can spin that thing much better than you'...i just wanted to hurl that thing round and round so hard that it took up too much time and had to cut to a commercial.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Top 10 of my favorites to watch in the 80's:

(in no particular order):

1. The Price is Right
2. Press Your Luck
3. MTV's Remote Control
4. Double Dare
5. Classic Concentration
6. Fun House
7. American Gladiators
8. Finders Keepers
9. The Gong Show
10. Wheel of Fortune

The only 2 on my list I know for sure was pre-80's is the Price is Right, and The Gong Show. The Rest i'm pretty sure started in the 80's. Not 100% sure though. But anywho, these were all shows I used to watch alot as a kid in the 80's.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
double dare sounds familiar...is that a kids show where they had to undergo questions and if they couldnt answer it they could say 'physical challenge' instead and then complete a ridiculous dare??
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yup..that's the one Willy. It was such a great show and one of the essential shows, in my book, that helped catapult Nickelodean into mainstream greatness.

[ 18. January 2011, 14:38: Message edited by: Pyromantic ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pyro.. MTV's Remote Control was an awesome show. Sad News about the host Ken Ober dying at such a young age.

This show helped bring attention to Adam Sandler, Denis Leary, and Colin Quinn among others.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Pyro.. MTV's Remote Control was an awesome show. Sad News about the host Ken Ober dying at such a young age.

This show helped bring attention to Adam Sandler, Denis Leary, and Colin Quinn among others.

Although, there was a second Remote Control that I remember that aired on ABC Saturday mornings, one that involved the winner being spun on a giant wheel for the bonus round.

And on that note, all but forgotten today is an earlier Double Dare, of no connection to Marc Summers's terrific edition, that aired very briefly in the mid 70s, created by Mark Goodson with Alex Trebek as host and marking the first use of what would later be used more successfully as the theme to Jim Perry's version of Card Sharks.

oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah Pyro, loved that game and yes it did kick start nickelodeon into mainstream
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked Card Sharks.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a Knockout.

I loved the physical contests.

Here is an unofficial website.

http://itsaknockout.tv/

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Press Your Luck and Joker's Wild were some of my favorites. Of course you can't leave out powerhouse Price is Right. "Come on down"!!
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainbowbrite22
Given the choice, Duckie would have been Luckie...
Member # 2288

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rainbowbrite22   Author's Homepage   Email Rainbowbrite22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my pics family fued mtv remote control supermarket sweep
Posts: 1270 | From: GA the peachie state :) | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmer Ted
Senior Rewinder
Member # 2663

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Farmer Ted   Email Farmer Ted   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Press Your Luck, Remote Control and Price is Right.
Posts: 59 | From: Southwest Missouri | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
was classic connection with alex trebek in the late 80's?
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Good Package, the name of that game show is Classic Concentration.

But you're not wrong, it was hosted by Alex Trebek.

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
And yes, it aired 1987-1991, with reruns continuing through the end of 1993; Mark Goodson's daughter Marjorie was the model and Alex's sidekick.
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Rainbowbrite22:
my pics family fued mtv remote control supermarket sweep

all good game shows...but Supermarket Sweep wasn't an 80's show. It was originally created and broadcast on ABC from 1965-1967. Then the game was revived on the Lifetime Channel from 1990-1995. I don't remember seeing reruns of the original 60's show in the 80's. But with all the other gameshows around, it could have been easily missed. I really don't think it was broadcast here in the 80's though. It might have been in other countries, I'm not sure on that.
spleus
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 9533

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for spleus   Author's Homepage   Email spleus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this show is is such a old one,love to watch its episodes
Posts: 16 | From: london | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No whammies no whammies stop!
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
There is another that has crossed my mind. Now You See It.

This pitted individual children against one another and was hosted by Mike Meade and a robot named Melvin from 1985 to 1990, after which Sofie Formica took over until its ending in 1993.

I did not see the later revival.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home