iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » 80s Television » Red Dwarf (1988-20??)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Red Dwarf (1988-20??)
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three million years ago, a radiation leak killed the crew of the mining ship, Red Dwarf. The only survivor was Dave Lister, the chicken soup machine repairman. He spends his time on the ship with a holographic projection of Arnold Rimmer (his dead bunkmate), Cat (a life-form that evolved from Dave's cat), Holly (the ship's senile computer), and Kryten (a service mechanoid) -- IMDb

-  -

Sci-Fi Comedy

To many people this is more of a 90s show, but I actually remember watching this from the beginning. I can remember chatting with friends at school about Red Dwarf constantly.

The sets improved greatly from season 3 onwards, but the low budget look of the first two seasons didn't stop it from gaining a considerable following.

Yes, at times, it could be incredibly silly, but that was part of its charm. Some of my favourite episodes were: Backwards(S3), Better Than Life(S2), Demons and Angels(S5)

Opening theme

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was a show that ran too long, but thoroughly deserved it's status. This was Star Trek meets Alien played for laughs.

"It's cold outside / there's no kind of atmosphere / I'm all alone / more or less..."

[ 02. October 2010, 14:00: Message edited by: logan5 ]

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cryton . . . unpack Rachel and get out the puncture repair kit!
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amaranth
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8882

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for amaranth   Email amaranth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and i were watching red dwarf III last nite and we were debating are listers dreads real?lol
Posts: 456 | From: Scotland uk | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with you, Logan. The first 6 seasons are classics. In fact the episode, 'Gunmen of the Apocalypse' won an International Emmy in 1994.

Red Dwarf unfortunately overstayed its welcome, much like that other classic British sitcom, 'Only Fools & Horses'.

The recent episodes (Back to Earth) were embarassing to watch.

Oh, and amaranth -- I think they are..lol!!

[ 19. January 2011, 06:20: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Audio clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwHewFBZ9Ww

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Nice. Quarantine was one of my favourite episodes.

It's a Banana

Smee heee

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like all of the shows - I don't hold with those who consider that seasons seven and eight were poor. They were different, being more sit-com and less sci-com, but they had their own style, and some of the episodes were very funny indeed, such as the bit where the crew are drinking tea in Jane Austen World (via the holosuite) and Kryten, having slaved all day cooking their dinner, 'called them to the table' by emerging from the lake in an M1 tank and blasting the table to pieces.

Chloe Annet was always going to have a challenge as the alt-universe Kochanski, because for such a seldom-seen character, she was very well known indeed. I think she did pretty well.

However, I've still not built up the enthusiasm to see the 'Back To Earth' trilogy...

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you know something Listy, i look at the two of us here now and ask my self just one question. Who is the richer man? Is it you with all your fast expensive cars, your gorgous woman at your beck and call, your multi-million pound empire, and your, your mansion...or is it me, with, well, with what i have? ....its you isnt it! Yes its all clear now, its you, richer and better! Should have thought more about that speech shouldnt i?
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
PS. has anyone read the book Omnibus? I did back in 1993 and laughed my head off...it really is easy to read and NO there arnt any pictures in it for all the 'i dont really read' people...and yes thats me too.
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Red Dwarf Returns!!

[Smile]

Despite hating the recent special, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing whether this is a return to form.

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Click me!

-

-

-

-

This was more like it.  -

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm rewatching early Red Dwarf at the moment, and the progress through the series is very interesting. The changes to the sets are cool and the comedy interactions between the characters gets slowly more intelligent as you go along.

Really didn't like Back To Earth, but Series 10 grew on me the more I watched it - I can only hope for more to come.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 -

-

[ 05. April 2013, 14:17: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home