iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » 80s Television » "Perfect Strangers" - hilarious sitcom (1986 - 1993)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Perfect Strangers" - hilarious sitcom (1986 - 1993)
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As'80's kids (or at least fans of the '80's), I'm sure there are some folks on here who, like me, have fond memories of the hilarious TV series Perfect Strangers, which starred Bronson Pinchet & Mark Linn Baker.

PS is one of those rare '80's sitcoms that was genuinely funny & not just stupid. I remember laughing out load at numerous scenes in the show, and that didn't happen often (to me, at least) when watching a sitcom.

I remember seeing a handful of episodes when the show was originally on, but then getting more into the series when I started watching re-runs around the mid-'90's.

The show actually ran for a total of 8 seasons! From March 1986 to August 1993. Very impressive run for any series, but especially a sitcom.

Back in 2008, the first two seasons came out on DVD. But, that's it - no further seasons have been released since then, and that was almost 10 years ago.

That being said, here's some hopefully good news:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Perfect-Strangers-DVDs-Planned/23431

According to the above link, the rest of the series is scheduled to be released at some point....soon?! I hope that if & when this does come out, that they remaster the episodes. I remember seeing the previous DVD release (of Seasons 1-2) and the picture quality wasn't that great - so, hopefully this will be improved in this future release.

Going along with this, hopefully they won't just be releasing Seasons 3-8; I hope Seasons 1-2 are also re-released. If this set comes out in 2018, it will have been ten years since Seasons 1-2 were released on DVD - so that set is long OOP, and, as I mentioned, had crappy PQ to begin with.

I also hope all of the original music from the show is retained; sometimes there are music copyright issues when it comes to releasing TV shows/movies on DVD, and they have to change the music.

I don't mind streaming, but I prefer watching TV shows/movies on physical media. So, I think I'll wait to see whether this does actually come out - and they buy the set & watch it that way.

[ 16. September 2017, 14:03: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 401 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was easily the best TGIF show, as Pinchot and Baker had terrific chemistry, and the writing was above average for other Friday night programs. My own favorite has to be the episode where Larry falls down the stairs and suffers recurring amnesia; while other shows would simply use this as a reason to have a clip show, they build a very funny story around it ("Jennifer's told me all about you, Mrs....Mrs...." "King of the jungle (Lyons)..." "Mrs. Tarzan."
Posts: 2523 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't actually remember that episode, but it sounds great. Unfortunately, I never saw all of the episodes, or even most of them. Only really caught PS in re-runs in the '90's, and the DVD set of the first two seasons years ago (from the local library).

I do agree this show was definitely head and shoulders above almost all - if not all - other '80's sitcoms. Though I like some of the dramas from that time period, I never thought the sitcoms that were big during that era were funny - many of them were actually crap.

Conversely, PS was genuinely hilarious! The Balki character's stupidity & ignorance of American culture was where a lot of the laughs in the show came from. And, of course, MLB's Larry (and his reaction to Balki's ignorance/foolishness) was hilarious as well. It also helped that I found both BP & MLB's facial features/expressions humorous - i.e., similar to why I find Jay Leno funny - LOL.

What's interesting is that when I first watched the show I didn't believe that Bronson Pinchot was American - his foreign accent & the character he played on the show were so convincing that I really thought he had been born & raised in a non-English speaking country! So, when I saw the drama "True Romance" on VHS tape circa 1994-ish, I was surprised that Pinchot spoke English with an American accent here (he played a drug addicted Hollywood movie agent) - LOL. As it turns out, BP was born in NYC - go figure [Wink]

Going along with this, it's worth noting that the recent third & final season of HBO's great drama The Leftovers (2014-2017) features MLB playing himself - IIRC, Perfect Strangers was even referenced in a couple of his scenes - LOL.

ALso, I did see that Amazon is selling the first 2 seasons of PS on DVD for a good price. I will hold off on getting this, however, and will wait to see if the supposedly forthcoming PS "series" set will include these first two seasons, as well as Seasons 3-8.

We'll see.

[ 17. September 2017, 17:59: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 401 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought the 1 & 2 season DVDs on Amazon a few years ago. Have watched them numerous times since so it was far from a waste of money. And I'm not even bothered by the grainy picture quality as mentioned above because it gives it that nostalgic vhs/analog TV feel that I still fondly enjoy. But yes, I agree with everything said here about the show. Baker & Pinchot did indeed have a fantastic and rare chemistry on the show that could almost be put on par with other such classic pairings like Abbott & Costello or Laurel & Hardy. This fact was further proven when I heard in interviews from the cast & crew that much of the comedy on the show was improvised by the two on the spot, which I totally believe. Many funny scenes are way to good to be scripted.

[ 08. October 2017, 07:39: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1723 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyro:
I bought the 1 & 2 season DVDs on Amazon a few years ago. Have watched them numerous times since so it was far from a waste of money. And I'm not even bothered by the grainy picture quality as mentioned above because it gives it that nostalgic vhs/analog TV feel that I still fondly enjoy.

Good points about the picture quality (PQ) of the PS DVD's. I'm unsure as to whether the PQ of the DVD's is at least somewhat superior to the PQ of the show when it originally aired on the old CRT TV's back in the day - it may be. That being said, it's possible that there's not much room for improvement here, given that a lot of 1980's TV sitcoms were filmed on tape (or at least edited on tape). Though, PS did go into the '90's....

In any case, we'll see if the hopefully forthcoming DVD set(s) have better PQ that what we've seen so far.

[ 18. September 2017, 16:16: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home