iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » 80s Television » Cagney and Lacey

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cagney and Lacey
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've caught a few episodes on late night THISTV channel. I forgot that Martin Kove (Kreese from Karate Kid) and Carl Lumbly co starred in this. I always liked Sharon Gless, but I thought Tyne Daly was a flake. The show is still pretty good, kind of dated, but not in a bad way.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched it but not a lot. What other shows does THISTV play?
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mostly older movies( 80's and earlier). Adams Family, The Odd Couple are a couple of tv shows. I was never a fan of the Adams Family.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't a big fan of Addams Family either. Loved the Munsters though which have been getting some airtime here.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

Mostly older movies( 80's and earlier). Adams Family, The Odd Couple are a couple of tv shows. I was never a fan of the Adams Family.
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

Sorry, don't know why that posted twice! We love the Munsters too!
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

It is on tonight, Sunday, and tomorrow early morning, three episodes, starting at 11:00 pm, the last episode airs at 1:00 am. I am going to have to record the last two.😊
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

It is on tonight, Sunday, and tomorrow early morning, three episodes, starting at 11:00 pm, the last episode airs at 1:00 am. I am going to have to record the last two.😊
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

C&L hasn't been on for awhile, but it is supposed be on THISTv again tomorrow night starting at 11 pm eastern time. I hope to watch an episode or two, if I don't fall asleep.
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for reminding me about this show - I caught bits & pieces of C & L back in the '80's. I liked the different take on the detective/police drama.

My local library has some of the C&L DVD's - I may get some of those out to watch soon. It will be a nice trip down memory lane.

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen most of "Cagney & Lacey" Season 1 on DVD. This is the first time I've seen most of these episodes; I didn't watch much of the show when it was originally on.

In any case, this is a great series! It actually lasted six years on it's original run, from 1982 - 1988. Here's my brief review of just this first season:

- This series is definitely more interesting & well-done than most standard police dramas from the '80's. Homelessness, kidnapping, corruption, assaults, scams, etc. are all explored here. Also, the excellent & convincing acting (especially by the two leads) really makes this "a cut above" many other series from this era.

-Nice time-capsule of early '80's NYC, which may as well be another character in the series.

-Sharon Gless really shines as Cagney. She successfully combines sexiness/femininity with a take charge, tough attitude/persona. Also impressed by her fashion style - though I've never paid much attention to women's clothes, she does a nice job of looking great at almost all times (except when she's undercover) [Wink]

-Lacey amused me, because she would always smile with her "teeth" - I was never sure if this was just something the actress did, or if it was something the character did to convey nervousness, etc. - anyway, it always struck me as funny.

-This first season specifically reminds me more of a late '70's police drama than an early '80's series (I'm guessing it was probably filmed primarily in '82). Makes perfect sense, since a lot of early '80's TV series/films have more of a '70's sensibility to them - due to coming out so close to the end of that previous decade.

-I like the contrast between the two leads; Cagney has a liberal attitude about at least some topics. Conversely, Lacey is more family oriented and, as such, much more conservative. However, despite their differences they work well together & are obviously good friends even outside of work.

-Though the show is first & foremost a drama, there are some comedic elements here as well. In a Christmas episode, the Isbecki character bragged that he was going to spend Christmas on vacation with two "twins" that he knew; Lacey got offended and said that what he was doing was "vile and disgusting" and that she didn't want to hear about this - LOL. As it turned out, however, Isbecki's mother came to the station & it turned out that he was actually spending Christmas with her, and had made the whole thing up about the fictitious "twins" - LOL.

[ 21. March 2017, 09:31: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
80's staple over here. Interesting to note; in the TV pilot Cagney was played by someone else (the actress who played 'Hot Lips' in MASH). Also, Tyne Daly (Lacey) played a rookie detective opposite Clint Eastwood in the Dirty Harry movie 'The Enforcer' in 1976.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Logan 5:
80's staple over here. Interesting to note; in the TV pilot Cagney was played by someone else (the actress who played 'Hot Lips' in MASH). Also, Tyne Daly (Lacey) played a rookie detective opposite Clint Eastwood in the Dirty Harry movie 'The Enforcer' in 1976.

I was aware of the TV pilot with Loretta Swit, but have unfortunately never seen this. For some reason it's not on the S1 DVD set - however, you can get this on a separate, stand-alone DVD. It will be interesting to see Swit's portrayal of Cagney - after having seen the show with just Sharon Gless.

I saw "The Enforcer" years ago, and it's one of my favorite Dirty Harry movies. IIRC, there was a final confrontation on the abandoned Alcatraz prison island. You can't go wrong with any of Eastwood's '70's films!

[ 22. March 2017, 06:12: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home