iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » American idol (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: American idol
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank god for Saturday Idol catchups. First, the girls -

Katie - I like her range, she has a nice lower register and had no trouble with the higher notes in the chorus. Not fantastic but not really memorable.

Siobhan - I like Siobhan but she's a slooow talker dude.... Very brave to start acapella. I liked this performance, it was unusual but not too much so it will put voters off. She has been one of the most consistant over the last 3 weeks.

Lacey - I don't know the song but it's lovely and a good choice for her voice. I hope she makes it through.

Catelyn, Caitlyn, Caitlin - I'm more used to the Martika version so this seemed a little underwhelming to me. Randy's right, she sang it well but there was no connection.

Didi - Wow, she made this sound like a brand new song, I could imagine Feist or Colby Caillat singing Rhiannon in this style.

Paige - my favorite girl this season, she's so unusually beautiful. Oh no Paige, what are you doing? I'm afraid you've just written your ticket home. It's nice to hear the more vulnerable side to her voice, but I think it also bought out her failings as a singer. Poor sweetie.

Crystal - Best of the night so far! I don't think she put a foot wrong with this performance, in fact, I don't think she's made a mis-step in any of the live shows so far! Guaranteed final 5 at least!

Lily - A risky, quirky song choice, but one that Lily can get away with.

Who's gonna go home? Katie and, I'm sorry to say, Paige. Maybe Caitlyn in an upset.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And for the boys -

Lee - is singing my current obsession in "Fireflies". I liked it, he performed strongly, but without all the bleeps and bloops it wasn't exactly Fireflies.

Alex - dull song, saved only by Alex's voice. I hope he makes it through.

Tim - I know it's a hard song, but anyone can make a mark with this song. But, he did it better than I would have expected and just might have saved his skin.

Andrew - this is OK, but it proves that he is a one trick pony, and that trick is performing simplified acoustic covers of light pop songs. In my opinion that doesn't make him a real artist - and it seems Cowell agrees with me.

Casey - oh jeez, Keith Urban. Excuse me while I go dry heave! I'm suprised to hear that Casey is the oldest of the guys this year. I'd have picked Andrew. Song's over? Sweet zombie jesus, at least I can wake up again now.

Aaron - Don't the judges rip through anyone who tries to sing this song? I remember at least twice in the last couple of years, Simon has lambasted singers for singing about being "already there" when they are in fact nowhere and about to go home. Aaron is so likable, I want him to do well but if he makes the Top 12, he'll be lucky to survive to Top 9 week. He definately commits everything and connects his emotions to the song, and his vocals improved in the second half.

Todrick - not so whacky this week, much more wonderful. This was an excellent gospel-esque version of a really tough song. This should see him through to the Top 12.

Big Mike - Wow

Who's gonna go home? It's tough one. Andrew Garcia and either Tim or Aaron.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Didi and Siobhan are safe.

Ryan has called Paige and Catelyn down together, I think this means Paige is going home.

OMG, Paige is safe, I'm so relieved! But Catelyn is going home which is a shame coz I really liked her too.

Casey is safe. Meh

Tim is safe. that sucks but he was much better last night.

Lee has been more consistant than Todrick, but Todrick was very good last night. It should be Lee in the Top 12 - and it is. Good.

Crystal is safe. Big Mike is safe.

Lacey is safe. Aaron is safe.

It's between Alex and Andrew, Alex is a better talent than Andrew, and in a perfect world should go through. But it's not a perfect world, and Alex misses out. I'm gonna miss his soulful voice.

And finally, it's Katie and Lily. It's been a night of suprises, so this is probably gonna end badly, with Lily going home. And so it is...

4 terrific singers go home tonight. But the Top 12 is mostly very very good, with the exception of Andrew and Katie, who are at talented, and Tim.

pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sooooo glad Lilly went home!
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
REally? I quite liked her. Maybe it was the weird faces she pulled while she sang last week that saw her get sent packing?
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lilly did make alot of faces when she sang but not a bad voice i am just glad lee is still there so far my fave !!
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, Lee is my fave too!
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was not too impressed with the way they sang the stones songs last night the rolling stones always have alot of energy when they sing these songs and they all slowed them down way too much kinda boring i would say. my faves are still lee, chivon, and tim
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Top 12! Live! woo!!!

Big Mike - not bad but not a patch on the last few weeks. He'll be safe for sure

Didi - I thought this was great, really intense and moody.

Casey - Not bad, I could hear something like this at the local pub. I don't think he's got a true rock voice but at least he's not as fake as Constantine.

Lacey - I like Lacey but I have a terrible feeling that she won't last long in the competition. Not a brilliant performance, she needs to start showing more range.

Andrew - This guy still has to prove himself to me in order to earn his spot here, IMO. It was OK, he was off key a few times, his voice cracked a number of times on the high notes.

Katie - this was OK, nothing amazing, but it really is such a beautiful song. And finally a song I know! I'm not much of a Strolling Bones fan.

Tim - terrible. This is what Jason Castro might have done if he was here this year but he would have sung it better.

Siobhan - I know this song too! This was a terrific performance and arrangement. Those high notes, wow! Best performance of the night so far. Will be interesting to hear what criticisms the judges have. Her smile reminds me of Demi Lovato.

Lee - I like Lee, he's cute. He gives of a Kris Allen "nice guy" vibe. I like this, this is the type of arrangement Tim should have gone for.

Paige - my favorite. She's looking and sounding great tonight. She looks really confident. Much improved over last week's disaster. I like how she's changed the gender of the song. She's quite unusual, I'm sure she's the first black (oops, African American) rocker the show has ever had!

Aaron - haha, his mum is named Kelly Kelly. This kid continues to impress. Not perfect by a long shot, but for a 16 year old it was a good song choice and I don't think he's shown the softer timbre in his voice before. And Randy agrees with me!

Crystal - this chick is such a natural. Is gonna be like Fantasia, where it's obvious from the start that she's gonna win? Best performance of the night, better than Siobhan.

Best of the night - Siobhan, Crystal, Didi,
Possible bottom 3 - Andrew, Tim, Lacey.

Going home - Tim.

Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by buffalo-girl:
i was not too impressed with the way they sang the stones songs last night the rolling stones always have alot of energy when they sing these songs and they all slowed them down way too much kinda boring i would say.

completely agree. and i think i stand alone, but i DID NOT like siobhan's version of paint it black. but i think she just might WOW me at some point. sammy reminded me of the kara comparing her to adam lambert. and i have to agree with that...in a good way.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

I don't like Siobhan's voice. I also don't like Lacey's. I was checking around on the Idol website this morning, and most predicted that Lacey would go home. Tim was a strong second prediction. I agree, Stitch, Jason Castro could've done the same thing but pulled it off.

Constantine...ha ha! He was so full of himself...

Lee's adorable and has a good voice...I voted for him a bunch of times.

Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Watching results show live (well, a few fast tracked hours behind the USA anyway).

I'm disappointed that Paige is in the B3, I really like her. I'm also disappointed that only Tim made the B3 and not Andrew. Only one spot left, my guess is it's Lacey (I haven't read any posts since last night so if someone has posted the results above, I haven't read it!)

Orianthi is awesome, a very cool Aussie chick. It's sad that she's gained fame on the back of Michael Jackson's death, but it's very likely that it all would have happened anyway. Question - as an Australian, why is that our accent sounds weird when we are on American shows? Orianthi spoke just the same way I do, but because Ryan was there with his Yank accent, she sounded really strange. It's quite odd...

It's between Casey and Lacey - and I'm not suprised that it's Lacey. I correctly predicted Tim and Lacey for the B3. I hope Paige is the first to be saved.

Crap, Tim's safe, dammit. Oooh, Ke$ha's coming up, she's awesome, her album is terrific especially the song "Stephen".

As much as I like her quirkiness, I'm hoping it's Lacey that's going, I think Paige has much more potential. And ..... it's Lacey. I very much doubt the judges will save her. Perhaps if it was Paige they may have used it, but they're more likely to wait until later in the season.

Goodbye Lacey, I like your voice, and I really love the song you sang tonight.

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lacey's voice is just too quirky. Not sure if she will make it professionally. She could be a one-hit wonder someday, who knows. THat Kesha chick is AWFUL! We turned the channel after listening to that crap for about 60 seconds. Orianthi was great.
Posts: 2292 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Siobhan the best. I did like Lacy as well...would rather have seen one of the boys go home....also like Didi and Crystal, maybe Andrew...all about the girls though....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
Lacey's voice is just too quirky. Not sure if she will make it professionally. She could be a one-hit wonder someday, who knows. THat Kesha chick is AWFUL! We turned the channel after listening to that crap for about 60 seconds. Orianthi was great.

Pitt, Kesha was beyond awful!!! I was like, what the hell is she celebrating? I'd never heard of Orianthi (they don't play her on Octane lol) but I liked the song.
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
I like Ke$ha, she's not the best singer but she has a lot of energy to give. Pop music should be fun, and Ke$ha brings a lot of fun to her music and videos.

Orianthi is an Australian, so is therefore amazingly beautiful and talented.... she is singer/songwriter/ guitarist, who began to gain fame last year when chosen as the lead guitarist for Michael Jacksons "This is it" concerts.

"According to you" was a Top Ten hit here late last year. It's a little more "pop" than her usual stuff.

Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"according to you" is so overplayed in my city. i liked it for a minute.

ke$ha reminds me of a younger courtney love, in some ways with the whole, "i do what i want..bad girl" type of image.

lacey's voice reminds me of cardigans, sixpence non the richer type of music. it's sweet but not powerful.

and my goodness...andrew is bugging the crap out of me. people are voting for him and why??

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

That's the same question I ask myself Ronnie, every time he's safe...why????
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Top 11 Live

Lee - pretty good, he's getting better each week but it was an old fashioned arrangement

Paige - I love Paige but this song never goes down well on Idol. And i remember the last time she sang a ballad, it was horrendous. Oh, honey no.... that was not good.

Tim - this wasn't terrible, that's really the nicest thing I can say about Tim's performance. But it was more of a performance than singing tho.

Aaron - this will most likely be a shocker. Actually, it wasn't too bad, better than Tim. He's not the best singer, but unlike Tim, he puts effort into it. I think he would do well in a boy band.

Crystal - another great performance. I'd like to hear her break away from the acoustic/folk sound and try something a little more pop, just to see how it suits her. But at the moment, she can do no wrong.

Mike - as always his voice is lovely. I didn't see the Ruben season, but from what I've read Mike is a lot like Ruben. He needs to diversify - after the massive success of his Maxwell song, he's been sticking to the same style every week.

Andrew - OMG, so bizarre. I can't stand this guy, and unlike Gokey (who I despised last year), he doesn't have the talent to back himself.

Katie - this was suprisingly good. Her voice sounded stronger than I remember it being in the last few weeks.

Casey - probably my favorite performance of his, it was fun. Having said that, I still don't think he's particularly amazing. And he still just stood there, he didn't move around like he claimed he was going to do.

Didi - I hope she does well, because the irony of being eliminated on a song called "You're no good"? Too funny! I like the arrangement, it's a little Winehouse/Duffy/Paloma Faith. Didi has a great voice, she's a bit of a dark horse in this year's contest.

Siobhan - I hope she kills in the pimp spot. I just watched a YouTube video of Stevie Wonder performing this on Sesame Street back in the early 70's, very cool. Siobhan is so comfortable on stage, she really rocks it! Best of the night by far.

Best - Siobhan, followed by Crystal and Katie
Bottom 3 - Paige (sniff), Tim, Andrew

Eliminated - probably Paige, I'm sad to say, but if it were up to me, it would be Tim.

pettyfan
Member # 2260

I say Paige is going. She was horrible last night. I still don't like Siobhan.
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
So long Paige.

She was one of my favorites, but I have to admit after that performance, America made the right choice.

Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Thank cheebus for Fox8 here in Australia, not only do they broadcast the show only 8 hours after the USA, you can watch it again straight away on the time shift +2 channel. And again the next day at 12 and 2pm! I'm watching the 2pm showing so it's my last chance until Saturday.

Top 10, here we go

Siobhan - I like her quirk. She looks so beautiful too. She puts a lot of feeling into her singing, you can see it in her face. But there were a few bum notes in the choruses. I like that she converted the scream to an actual note too, but the judges were all absolutely correct.

Casey - I really don't care about Casey. I might go to a pub to hear him sing but I wouldn't pay to get in. But having said that, I actually enjoyed the performance more than any other week.
For me, that's about the level of his singing. He relies on his guitar too much, yet I don't think anyone has called him on it.

Big Mike - I love Mike's voice, but this songs sounds like it's gonna be the same ol' same ol' that Mike has given for the last few weeks. There can be too much of a good thing. And after listening to it, it was lovely but basically the same performance as when he sang Maxwell except he's playing guitar.

Didi - I didn't get to hear Didi's song, but the judges were pretty harsh, even Ellen got booed!

Tim - I hope he sucks. I know that sounds terrible, but I want either him or Andrew to leave. At least Tim seems like a nice kid, so maybe I should be praying for Andrew to go. And maybe I should coz that was actually pretty good! But going by the judges, maybe I was thinking "well it's pretty good for Tim"? Simon's comments - best of the year so far!

Andrew = I really hope this stinks. Actually it was kinda nice. Dammit.

Katie - her voice has been improving each week, and I'm glad she did a good job on this. She's not the best singer in the group by far, but she's got nothing to be ashamed of. Randy was right, it actually was one of the best of the night. And I was shocked that she was in the bottom 3 last week coz I thought she terrific then too. And good for her when she whispered to Ryan that she was gonna listen to herself, rather than choose between Kara and Simon. I'm liking this girl more every week.

Lee - now that Paige is gone, Lee is probably my fave this season. He finally looks comfortable on stage, and this is by far his best vocal of the season! Casey could learn a lot by watching Lee. And wow at Simon's comments!

Crystal - I hope she can focus enough on both the vocal and the piano, but this is Crystal, so I'm sure she'll be fine. And she sure was, that was killa! Crystal is like the Melinda Doolittle of this season - way ahead of everyone else in performance ability, but will probably fall at the last hurdle.

Aaron - I'd feel sorry for anyone following that performance. I love this song. Someone did it last year, and killed it! Just like Katie, Aaron is really growing on me and getting better each week. This is his best performance so far and a good way to end the show today. I thought the judges were a bit harsh.

Top 3 - Crystal, Lee, Andrew
Bottom 3 - Didi, Siobhan, Tim
Eliminated - Didi.

pettyfan
Member # 2260

Buh-bye, DiDi, won't miss ya a bit!
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

lee is doing much better but something about him is lacking, and i don't know what it is. but my goodness his voice is amazing.
crystal blows every single one of them out of the water. she SHOULD win, but probably won't.
siobhan drives me nuts with her yelling. and kara was right, her lower register is awful. which is why she yells because that's only good note she can carry.

tim is so full of it. he's smiles because he's holding back the tears, his eyes water up and he turns red ...what a moron, anyone who stands there giggling like a little kid, and cannot take the judges seriously and the competition (for that matter) is a big joke! i cannot believe this twerp is still there. it's annoying.

i do not know what to make of aaron right now. he's there but not really with the top people.

and sorry but andrew may have done better this week but unless he kills it every week from here on out, i will stick to disliking him. there is no power in his voice and he cannot sing a song unless he takes a pop tune and sings it acoustic style with his guitar. but i will say that i love that chris brown song he sang. it's the only chris brown song i like.

don't know what to say about casey. he's good but again, something is missing. he plays it waayyyy too safe.

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a disgraceful result this week. Glad the judges did the right thing.
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home