iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...What a Farce

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...What a Farce
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today the RRHOF announced their new inductees http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=447204>1=28102

Genesis is OK, ABBA I like but they're not rock.

Where's KISS, DEEP Purple, Rush, Alice Cooper, Chicago, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Neil diamond???? None of these performers have been inducted as of yet but people like Madonna and ABBA both make a Hall of Fame for rock music before the people I just listed.

Who is on the board and what are their credentials?????

This sucks

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know much about it, but heres what I think:

They probably WERE a little (a lot?) more choosy with their picks when the whole thing started and now theyve fallen by the wayside.

Of course I dont know, but I will (and I recommed you do it too) look somewhere like WIKIPEDIA that can tell you who theyve chosen in the past and how they go about who they chose then and who they choose now.

I think people get most upset that the people ARENT Rock. Yes, MADONNA has been "making music" (I guess) for three decades. But is it "Rock"? No. So how to celebrate an 'artist" who is popular and made a lot of contributions but ISNT Rock? Do they also make a POP HALL OF FAME? COUNTRY HALL OF FAME? RAP HALL OF FAME?

I love ABBA myself, but again - not Rock.

I wonder if -like the Hollywood Walk of Fame - you can even nominate yourself? Hahaha.

I will have to look into it one of these days.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But is it strictly 'Rock 'n' Roll', or is that a shorthand title for an award that recognises an indelible imprint on the popular music scene regardless of style?

Abba are being inducted because of the success of 'Mamma Mia' (and I'm not talking about your recent achievements Mammamia! I mean the movie!)

They were actually ten times bigger everywhere else in the world than they were in the US. Since the musical/movie their importance seems to have been recognised more retrospectively (at least in the US).

Also, I think that the HoF tries to offer some kind of balance of bands each time, rather than just throw all the 'right' bands in together.

There's an awful lot of bands that should have gone in there first, though.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I briefly peaked on WIKIPEDIA and sped read and just as I suspected: there was an instance where a Rock band was up to be nominated and so was a Rap act. Technically the Rock band got more votes, but they didnt want to discriminate by NOT having a Rap act so they inducted the Rap people over the Rock people and a lot of people got ****ed about it.

I was thinking about it this morning: Is LED ZEPPELIN in there? BLACK SABBATH? AC-DC? I really want to look up the full listings because there are bands that are GOOD and then there are bands we just cant imagine Music without. I love ABBA (by the way, yes, thats where the MAMAMIA part in my name comes from) but if you tell me they shelved THE BEATLES or THE RAMONES so ABBA would have a place I'd have to riot in the streets!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanna see you riot!

Wow, I've learned something today; you took your Mammamia from the Abba song. I feel like I'm seeing you in a new light!

It doesn't surprise me that they wanted to be politically correct by keeping in a Rap group, there is a huge fear of offending people now.

Ramones, Beatles, Zeppelin - are all in the HoF.

Here's a list:

http://www.rockhall.com/inductees/inductee-list

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's like that Inside The Actor's Studio show, with James Lipton! First they had like Anthony Hopkins, DeNiro, Chris Walken etc. on.... and now it's like the kid from Harry Potter, Conan O'Brien and Bon Jovi...... excuse me!!!! Do I wanna hear great tales from the glorious acting career of Bon Jovi??? WTF!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
LOL! I think Jessica Simpson was on that show! (okay ...maybe it WASNT Jessica Simpson! But it was someone of that "ilk")

I went on the Hollywood Tour and was pretty shocked to find out that stars can nominate themselves for a star if they're willing to fork over the fee. So , yes, dont be surprised if you see Pauley Shores star in between Pacino and DeNiro! hahaha

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
They should commission the show on an episode by episode basis, and whenever they have enough episodes together put on the series. There's no excuse for Bon Jovi!

I recall seeing an interview with Duran a few years ago, and Nick Rhodes was saying he didn't know how they got a star. He said, "How do they decide who gets one? Do people vote? I still don't know how we got one!"

mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
people vote - but yes you can vote for yourself. and someone has to raise the fee for you, wether fans or even yourself. there IS a comittee that has to decide if youre worthy or not.
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's disgraceful those groups aren't in it. Deep Purple? C'mon. I was happy the Stooges are in, but they never sold nearly as much records as Rush, Kiss and Alice Cooper. I don't know how they do their selection, but there should be an inquiry.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad Genesis are being inducted this year. They join Pink Floyd as the only Progressive Rock bands inducted, so far.

Although, I'm sure it's more for selling out stadiums around the world in the 80s, rather than the innovative/influential music they produced in the 70s.

Yes, King Crimson, ELP, Rush, Kansas etc are still no closer to getting in.

As far as I know, Deep Purple have never been nominated. [Confused] [Mad]

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for saturnchick   Email saturnchick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a note - if ABBA is disqualified for not being a rock n' roll artist, how does the same disqualification not apply to Neil Diamond? Just sayin'.
Posts: 339 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
I think there's some room for rock/pop to be marginally interchangeable depending on the music made. Neil Diamond is definitely a crossover artist. How restrictive is the 'Rock 'n' Roll' in the HoF meant to be?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home