iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Australian Idol Final 2

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Australian Idol Final 2
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stan Walker (not the one from Will and Grace) and Hayley Warner have just been announced as our Final 2. I thought some of you might be interested in hearing their potential winner's singles - they're definately not the bland ballads that afflict American Idol!

Stan - Black Box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXSd_hwQSWg

Hayley - Good Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUbiuzRc6tE

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It makes a change to have a show where the finallists have a chance to shine in the single. In the UK and US ones, the song that gets released is the same for all of them, and in the past the style of song has signalled clearly that the judges have basically chosen the act that they want to win - certainly this was the case in the UK a couple of years ago when Leona Lewis won. The song suited her to the ground, but was a complete mismatch for the other finalists.
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The two songs definately suit each singers styles. A few weeks ago we had 80's night, Stan sang a stunning version of "Purple Rain", while Hayley did "Dancing in the dark". She also did a version of "Tainted Love" during Big Band week.
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tainted Love ain't Big Band...... Jeez - I sound like Louis Walsh now....

On X Factor (in the UK) one of the guys, Danyl Johnson, did a version of Purple Rain. It was superb. Have a look on YouTube, Stitch. I'd be interested in how the comparison works.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
That was a good performance Paul. I don't know if it's patriotism speaking, or the fact that I heard it first, but I still prefer the Stan Walker version.

If you think Tainted Love isn't big band, try Single Ladies - it was done on Big Band night too. It was.... interesting.

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

We had a couple of 'contentious' song choices on Big Band night as well. One of the judges (Louis Walsh) complained that one of the song choices wasn't Big Band and was therefore cheating (Simon Cowell's choice of "Angel Of Harlem") but then for his act (the appalling John And Edward) he gave them "She Bangs" by Ricky Martin.

And by what possible definition is THAT Big Band?

Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
She Bangs? At least it has brass in it, that's the only similarity it has with Big Band.

I usually love Big Band night, but there have been a few weird song choices over the years. Back in 2004, Courtney Murphy sang Stevie Wonder's "For once in my life" (I know Buble has done it too but it doesn't ring true to me). We've had

The Beatles "I saw her standing there"
The Veronica's "Revolution"
ACDC's "You shook me all night long"
Radiohead's "High and Dry"
Beyonce's "Crazy in love"
and
Dave Mathews Band's "American Baby"

Across all the various nations and season's I've seen, my favorite big band performance is Kelly Clarkson singing "Stuff like that there"

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home