iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » The say ALMOST anything thread ! (Page 25)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 49 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  47  48  49   
Author Topic: The say ALMOST anything thread !
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good point! I bet that social networking sites have really slowed down message boards. This used to be the type of place where you would get things off your chest, or share what you are up to. Now I feel like most people do that on FB and Twitter. I love Twitter, so much less personal and it limits how long your message is! FB is really wearing me out as of late. I think I'm going to get rid of it soon.
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to add to my twitter praise [Smile]

I think Twitter is great for a couple reasons, but you can't look at it like Facebook. It's not like that at all. I guess it could be but really it's a great way to get information as it happens. I follow many news and sports outlets, reporters, and just a few personalities and friends. I think only like 5-10 personal friends. You don't ever have to write anything or post any pictures. If you want you could just make up a name and nobody would ever find out who you are. So if you like news, or gossip, or sports, or any hobbies, there are people out there dropping knoweledge for you to drink up.

Like I said in the previous post, it's so much less personal and so not like facebook. I find it very enjoyable. First thing I do when I wake up is read twitter to see what's going on in the world.

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like my life without all that social media is a lot easier then. [Smile]
Posts: 2178 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering this is the say anything thread. What do you think about that weed pass thing happening Johnny. I think it sucks personally. What are your thoughts?
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of may 1st it is forbidden for coffeeshops to sell any kind of soft-drug to foreigners, and
people from Holland need to be registered buyers / users.
The first coffeeshops who violated these new regulations were closed instantly the past 3 days.

Well, it isn't something new really. Over the past couple of years, new regulations already made
it more difficult for coffeeshops to keep selling soft-drugs. Coffeeshops weren't allowed
anymore near schoolbuildings was one of those, i believe. Basically it's something that's only
happening in the city.
It is true though that there is a lot of drug traffic going on, especially near the Belgian border.
(which is only 25km away from where i live)
There were thousands of people from Belgium and especially France coming to Holland every day.
But practically all coffeeshops near the border were already shut down years ago.
The one thing from these new rules that gets a lot of criticism is that people are afraid that
the whole drug-thing will go underground again and cause lots of trouble on the streets without
any way of controlling it.

The past couple of days there were also some protests going on in several places.
Here's a picture that was on the front-page of my local newspaper the day before yesterday.

-

The leaflet on the left says 19357 deaths caused by cigarettes every year, but 0,0 caused by cannabis.
The one on the right says the same about alcohol compared to cannabis.

Well.. i personally don't really care much about what's happening. I live in a small town where
there are no coffeeshops at all, and the last time i've been to one was when i was still in school
over 20 years ago.

[ 04. May 2012, 08:38: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Posts: 2178 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Apparently that picture wasn't really co-operative [Frown]

Oh, well.. [Big Grin]

[ 04. May 2012, 08:53: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am glad I went to Amsterdam when I did a couple years back. What is the go with all the bikes? I couldn't believe it. I reckon your chances over there of being hit by a push bike are 20 times higher than being hit by a car. And they are all like 70's style bikes too. I guess maybe they ride dodgy bikes so if they get stolen they haven't lost out on much, either that or they really like the 70's bicycle nostalgia. I have always heard that the Dutch are heaps arrogant. But going by my experience almost every Dutch person I met was extremely nice and extremely helpful and most of the people their speak perfect English and don't have a problem with accommodating you unlike some other countries. I liked The Netherlands a lot. I was conceived there so perhaps that explains something... [Big Grin]
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was there years ago, I thought that it was an absolutely beautiful country with friendly folk. (It's such a sad commentary on American education when I'm in countries like the Netherlands, Germany, or Austria and everyone speaks better English than most Americans--and it's a second or third language.)
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Dats not how it is aight!! [Big Grin]
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The really strange thing about the coffeeshops for me, was that people could smoke dope inside whilst eating cake and drinking coffee, but if they wanted to smoke a regular tobacco cigarette, then needed to go outside because of EU anti-tobacco laws.

Johnny, I'd take the stats on deaths from all of these sources with a load of skepticism. Statistics can always be manipulated. I'm not a smoker and have never done any kind of drug, but it's probably fair to say that if a person smokes dope, they also would almost certainly smoke tobacco as well. Who is to say that a large proportion of the 'tobacco' deaths were not brought about, either directly or simply brought forward, by the additional effects of smoking cannabis? To claim that cannabis has no negative mental or health effects on the user is simply not true, and smacks of what the non-pc side of me would term 'hippy propoganda'.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Thanks for all the nice things you said about Holland, guys. [Smile]

As for the text from the leaflets.. well, it wasn't me who came up with those statistics.
I don't really know if there's any fact-based info in that.

Here's some more pics from the papers of the last few days, which are kinda funny.

-

-
(no softdrugs for sale)

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Crash and Bernie said that most people here in Holland speak reasonably well English.
I thought about it for a moment, and maybe that's because non-Dutch tv-shows, series and movies
don't get dubbed here, unlike most other European countries. So when kids grow up here and
watch tv, they hear the English language on a daily basis, i guess.
In countries like Germany, France and Spain everything gets dubbed into their own language,
and that's probably all they hear for years. They never heard an actor or actress speak with
their own voice, and classic quotes from movies (,I love the smell of napalm in the morning') are
completely unfamiliar to many, unfortunately.
(untill the dvd format gave them the opportunity to finally watch movies in their original language,
but even then, most people got so used to watching dubbed movies, that they don't really care
much about the original audio tracks).

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Hey Johnny. When I was there I went into a cafe called The Doors, named after the band and the guy in there was probably in his mid 20's and chilled as. He looked like he was stoned to the bejesus belt. We smoked out the front of the cafe and then he brought our coffees out and when he came out I asked him if he smoked a fair bit of product and he goes "Oh Forget about it" exactly the way Johnny Depp says it in Donnie Brasco. It made me laugh as I certainly wasn't expecting it. I reckon you are right about the movies too because I actually thought to myself that when the Dutch people spoke English they sounded like they had American accents. I never could figure out why but I guess this explains it [Smile]
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting discussion guys!

If you don´t know (probably not [Smile] ) The 2012 Ice Hockey World Championships started here in Finland yesterday.
We take ice hockey pretty seriously here and have this 24/7 hockey channel.
I´ve been watching it.. a lot. Canada vs. USA next!

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Definitely not big into Ice Hockey here in OZ however I do think its a cool game.

Like I have said in a couple other threads though I used to love the bubble top Ice Hockey game featuring USA and Russia which appeared in Karate Kid. I would kill my first born for that game [Big Grin]

Are you perhaps staying up for the FA Cup final?

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 hours on the phone with my Mum  - My hand aches  -
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Those emoticons capture how I feel about talking with my mum too.

Chelsea 1 nil at present - Oh yeah

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can´t watch the Chelsea - Pool game but i made some bet and Chelsea better win the match! [Cool]
Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
1 nil Chelsea at half time so hopefully they can hold off for another 45 minutes. Yes, they better win!
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C'mon Liverpool.
Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
They're coming. Nice goal by Carroll. I kinda want them to equalise. I am always up for an interesting game [Smile]
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Downing you plonker..lol
Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I´m usually a Liverpool fan but a bet is a bet [Smile]
Drogba is the man.

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Drogba is God!

It's nice to have Martin Tyler commentating too. He didn't seem to be doing much commentary work in the EPL this year. I thought he retired or something. Nice to have him for this match. Best football commentator ever.

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Drogba is immense...when he stays on his feet.
  This topic comprises 49 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  47  48  49   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home