iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Those "VCR"s that dub VHS movies onto DVDs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Those "VCR"s that dub VHS movies onto DVDs
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband gave me one for my birthday.
At first i dubbed all my old School stuff and for the most pasrt it went well.
When I started trying newer stuff a warning would pop up that I couldnt make copies with thiss format.
Has anyone else had a smiliar thing happen?
Is there anyway around it or are there just some VHS tapes I flat out CANT make copies of???

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mama...the newer VHS tapes typically have a copyright protection, which does unfortunately mean that you cannot dub them...unless some of our high tech friends on here know a way around it. The older VHS movies didn't have this, so they are easily copied. I'm not sure of the year that they started the copywrite protection...but i'd guess somewhere around 85'.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnny76
Master Rewinder
Member # 8174

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for johnny76   Email johnny76   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh how familiar those "Protected by Macrovision" warnings are to me. I have not found a way around it.
Posts: 225 | From: Pa. | Registered: Aug 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this for real that we still have to deal with
the old copy protection?

I have the machine with my bro,
but we´ve not copied that much so far.

I can´t believe this!!??

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnny76
Master Rewinder
Member # 8174

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for johnny76   Email johnny76   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Is this for real that we still have to deal with
the old copy protection?

I have the machine with my bro,
but we´ve not copied that much so far.

I can´t believe this!!??

Problem is, if ya got a tape from the 80's or 90's that your tryin to dub, and it had the copy protection or macrovision built into the tape, its still gonna have it now since it was manually installed in the tape itself.
Posts: 225 | From: Pa. | Registered: Aug 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disney have it a lot. What you need is a Macrovision remover. I got one off ebay a while back. I did some test recordings and it seems to work ok.

Note: They might not work for an all-in-one player, since you need to plug the player into the Macrovision remover and then plug that into the DVD-R.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Johnny is right....I was able to convert 90% of my VHS tapes to dvd, but there are some tapes that can't be done because of the old Macrovision they used....even alot of tapes from the early 80's had it.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guess i´m just disappointed that they won´t/can´t make a player
that ignores that stupid old protection.

Is that even possible, i´m not that "high tech" to know.

I remember that disney and one or two other companies used copy protection here
so i´m not that worried after all.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can by a descrambler pretty cheap on the internet... I used them all of the time...

google: vhs decrypter or macrovision stabilizer

Here's a typical unit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIGITAL-VIDEO-STABILIZER-MACROVISION-REMOVAL-WARRANTY_W0QQitemZ390098769517QQcmdZViewItem

[ 01. October 2009, 14:52: Message edited by: jdocster McFly you Irish bug ]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Im not TOO worried about it. If I tryed to dub 100 tapes only somewhere between 10 or 15 DIDNT dub. Stuff like the STAR WARS movies I suspected WOULDNT dub but I was totally shocked when I popped LITTLE DARLINGS in there and it wouldnt dub! (and yes, I have the one with the "red box" that everyone wants with that John Lennon song on the soundtrack. Had I been able to dub myself a copy on DVD I could have sold the VHS for at least 30 bucks!)

The oddest thing is I went to tape stuff from a VHS I had taped off TV (VH1'S I LOVE THE 80s) and THAT wouldnt work! Now I KNOW I didnt do anything to THOSE tapes to "protect" them . hahaha

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
LITTLE DARLINGS in there and it wouldnt dub! (and yes, I have the one with the "red box" that everyone wants with that John Lennon song on the soundtrack.
Is that the slip-box cover?

quote:
The oddest thing is I went to tape stuff from a VHS I had taped off TV (VH1'S I LOVE THE 80s) and THAT wouldnt work! Now I KNOW I didnt do anything to THOSE tapes to "protect" them . hahaha
Did you tape the TV stuff on an old tape that had originally been a proper movie?
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
A. yes, slip cover box

and

B. No. Regular VHS tapes you buy at like RADIO SHACK!

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ah! Re-reading your post you say it was a VH-1 show. From what I gather, VH-1 stuff is pretty hard to come by (on torrents, etc), so I would assume that they broadcast some kind of copy protect that stops people from recording their shows. Otherwise, there would be a lot more available on share sites.

That's just a guess, though.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home