iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » DVD or VHS ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DVD or VHS ?
johnny76
Master Rewinder
Member # 8174

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for johnny76   Email johnny76   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you had the choice, and had one of your favorite 80's movies on both dvd & vhs. Which one would you rather watch? I know the quality of the dvd is gonna be better and all the new features are cool, but to me, theres just somethin about poppin the same tape I did twenty some years ago. 'Given its still plays and you still got a VCR'. I prefer VHS. What say you ? [Smile]
Posts: 225 | From: Pa. | Registered: Aug 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinda with you...but not. In terms of my memories as a child from the 80's, I really like experiencing some things, just like I experienced them as a kid. So for a while, when I collected all my 80's movies on VHS, I specifically sought out an old top loading VHS player like I had when I was a kid, and liked watching the movies on an older style TV...so you got the grittiness only an old VHS tape could give ya. Did the same for music...collected all my favorites on cassette tape and bought a vintage ghetto blaster to play them on. Then...I had a kid...and simply began to run out of room. So as much as I loved my 80's VHS collection, I got rid of every single one of them, but only as I replaced them with DVD...currently only have about 10 VHS tape...ones you currently can't get on DVD. Coulnd't part with my tapes and ghetto blaster though, but rarely use it. * Me and my wife have seperate closets, so I have a little 80's shrine on a shelf in my closet,with my cherished ghetto blaster front and center...so I see it every day. * If I win millions some day and finally get to have my 80's room I've dreamt of...I'll search ebay until I've re-purchased all my old VHS tapes back! Sorry so long winded....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnny76
Master Rewinder
Member # 8174

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for johnny76   Email johnny76   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont be sorry man that was an awesome post ! I know what you mean tho about the space the vhs's take up, i also have a 5 yr old who has almost as many tapes and dvd's as me. lol. I have two giant boxes that i got from work full of vhs's and they are stored in an extra closet which thank god we have or im sure my wife would make them dissappear. It gets to be a hassle goin thru em lookin for the ones i want aswell. Im glad tho that you see what i mean about that old 80's grittiness of the VHS's that i enjoy so much !
Posts: 225 | From: Pa. | Registered: Aug 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what's my favorite part of digging out an old vhs?? The previews at the begining haha
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnny76
Master Rewinder
Member # 8174

Member Rated:
Haha, one of my favorite reasons aswell ! Plus it gives ya new ideas of movies to get that ya may have forgotten about.
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Regardless of anything, the payback of a DVD is 90% of the time better than that of the VHS. Fast Forwarding and always having a nice picture will always be the draw. VHS had it's place in terms of recording, but just doesn't make for a great movie in terms of picture or sound.

Sorry for being redundant.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnny76
Master Rewinder
Member # 8174

Member Rated:
I agree with what your sayin DEVO as far as quality and convenience goes. I watch both DVD & VHS but I guess for me its more of a nostalgiac 80's thing with the VHS at the expense of the quality & convenience of a DVD if that makes any sense. Im surprised nobodys brought up blue-rays yet. [Smile]
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Replaced most of my VHS collection, but you can't beat a bit of nostalgia with the old tape. As for Blu Ray? nice idea I don't have any space for more movies and no way am I prepared to replace an enitre collection so soon.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WolfmansGotNards
Ace Rewinder
Member # 5910

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for WolfmansGotNards   Email WolfmansGotNards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pick blu-ray!

VHS is still great though when that's all that is available.

For the ultimate in nostalgia: I'd probably say laserdisc. Freaking awesome album sized cover art, and a huge, thick, shiny on both sides, sturdy disc - can't beat that [Smile]

Posts: 400 | From: The 80's! Where else?! | Registered: Jul 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnny76
Master Rewinder
Member # 8174

Member Rated:
Aha, I knew someone would say blu-ray !!! [Smile] Only reason I didnt add it into the original topic is cause I dont have a blu-ray yet so I cant judge it [Frown]
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i too have both a vcr and a dvd player but i do prefer the dvd player better!
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by johnny76:
Aha, I knew someone would say blu-ray !!! [Smile] Only reason I didnt add it into the original topic is cause I dont have a blu-ray yet so I cant judge it [Frown]

Blu-ray's good but it has to be something I REALLY LIKE before I buy it on Blu-ray.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MelonFarmer
Rewind Curious
Member # 8172

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for MelonFarmer   Author's Homepage   Email MelonFarmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you gotta love thwe ol' VHS innit? i have so many class 80's flicks on VHS but i have watched them to the point that their beginning to break and get chewed up. dvd's all the way.
Posts: 9 | From: The Toon | Registered: Aug 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnny76
Master Rewinder
Member # 8174

Member Rated:
O.K. I am goin to pay somebody to remaster all my original VHS's somehow and get a VHS player re-modified somehow with super fast-fwd and rewind and a super graphics chip built in. Then my VHS's will truly reign on top again !!! [Big Grin]
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
johnny...you haven't been out much dude...you can already buy one of those in the discount bin at Walmart...$9.99...plus tax of course [Big Grin]
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnny76
Master Rewinder
Member # 8174

Member Rated:
hahaha. Thanks for the info, now I know why im so behind on things, I dont enter Walmart. Maybe ill send my wife in to check one of them bad boys out ! [Smile]

[ 07. September 2009, 13:44: Message edited by: johnny76 ]

journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
You know what's my favorite part of digging out an old vhs?? The previews at the begining haha

I especially like the low budget ones on old Cannon and Vestron releases. Those are priceless.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say definitely the VHS, for you can watch the trailers at the start.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DVD and Blu-Ray are of course superiour in terms of overall quality, A/V-wise!

But for sheer nostalgia, you gotta go with the old clunky VHS!

I still have the same old as dirt vidtape of THE BURBS from 1989, that I rented, and copied. Plus I stole the coverart from the video store when I returned it [Smile] That was my MO back in the day! Rent a flick, make a copy, return it, and jack the coverart out of the box!

If the video clerk had enough sense, he could have checked the records, and done the math! Every time I rented a video, the coverart would mysteriously dissapear, leaving a lot of blank boxes on the shelves [Smile]

A wrong thing to do, but good memories [Smile]

I occassionally dig out the old worn out Burbs tape! It's just not the same watching it on crystal clear DVD!

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well..I probably own just as many VHS's as DVD's. So it's a toss-up for me..there are sometimes when I prefer one over the other..but I guess my final verdict is...I don't really give a damn. But it does **** me off when an old 80's movie is released on DVD and there are virtually NO extra features...it's like...WFT!! Just buy the VHS and save you some $$$
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnny76
Master Rewinder
Member # 8174

Member Rated:
And VHS still reins supreme ! [Razz]
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by johnny76:
And VHS still reins supreme ! [Razz]

heheeee..... Gotta love it! [Smile]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if we are talking picture quality as far as what we prefer..then dvd all the way. vhs tapes are nostalgic and all, but i don't prefer to see a lower quality movie.
i only watch vhs when i don't have the movie on dvd (mainly because the movie hasn't been released on dvd so i am stuck with the vhs tape).
i also will only watch vhs when the dvd version of the movie has been cut up with different sounds, different use of original soundtrack music,..a good example of that would be the movie SHAG. the vhs version is wayyy better. the dvd version has different music, the picture is different for whatever reason and when you have seen a movie a thousand times and finally get a dvd that has edits in every coroner of the film, you may as well not bother with it. seriously, i chucked the dvd because of this.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home