iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » TOP 5 MOVIES- From every year. 1970-1999 (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: TOP 5 MOVIES- From every year. 1970-1999
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bumpity bump.

I have a feeling Oneyedwilly might give this a shot? [Smile] [Wink]

[ 19. July 2010, 03:01: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe not  -
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
few people can actually do this, or have the time! Im surprised that there were as many folks here that did it, as there was!
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there anywhere that has movies listed in a year-by-year format? So that you don't have to rely on memory and then say "Damn!" when you forget one.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I know of, that's one of the things that makes it hard! Although, if you forget one, then it's probably not in your favourite top 5 [Smile]
Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Not that I know of, that's one of the things that makes it hard! Although, if you forget one, then it's probably not in your favourite top 5 [Smile]
Probably. I'd still struggle with the year-by-year thing. It's easier to pick from a list for each year.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Wikipedia has some ok-ish lists http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_in_film
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
That's good enough! I'll work with that.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ok, there are a few riders to this list. First: I got it from the Wiki yearly release list, which had massive amounts of movies missing! I kept having to go back and add / subtract films! There were also huge amounts of foreign films missing, but I went with what was there.

Second: This list is a reflection of films that meant something to me at particular times of my life. They aren't what I consider the 'best' or the 'most important' films - just the ones that mattered to me. There is no attempt to show filmic knowledge or give a list of what were objectively the best movies from each year at all. Thus; 'Carry On at Your Convenience' and 'Willy Wonka' win showdowns against much 'cooler' films.

Finally: I have included 'honorable mentions' for each year for films which, on another day, might have been chosen for the top 5.

* Beneath the Planet of the Apes
* Catch-22
* Claire's Knee
* Kelly's Heroes
* Love Story

Honorable mentions: MASH / Waterloo

* Carry On at Your Convenience
* Summer of '42
* They Call Me Trinity
* Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
* Dirty Harry

Honorable mention: Bedknobs and Broomsticks

* Cabaret
* The Godfather
* The Hot Rock
* What's Up, Doc?
* Trinity is STILL My Name!

* Don't Look Now
* Enter the Dragon
* The Long Goodbye
* The Sting
* The Way We Were

Honorable mentions: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler / My Name Is Nobody / High Plains Drifter / Magnum Force / Live and Let Die

* Blazing Saddles
* Chinatown
* The Godfather Part II
* Thunderbolt and Lightfoot
* Young Frankenstein

Honorable mentions: Murder on the Orient Express / The Parallax View

* The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother
* Jaws
* Monty Python and the Holy Grail
* Nashville
* Three Days of the Condor

Honorable mentions: The Man Who Would Be King / The Rocky Horror Picture Show / Dog Day Afternoon / Picnic at Hanging Rock / Smile / Switchblade Sisters / Tommy

* All the President's Men
* Freaky Friday
* Logan's Run
* Rocky
* Silver Streak

Honorable mentions: Bugsy Malone / Carrie / Family Plot / Network / Nickelodeon / Taxi Driver / Crime Busters

* Annie Hall
* A Bridge Too Far
* The Goodbye Girl
* Saturday Night Fever
* Star Wars

Honorable mentions: Close Encounters of the Third Kind / Cross of Iron / High Anxiety / Kentucky Fried Movie

* Corvette Summer
* Foul Play
* Grease
* Halloween
* Superman: The Movie

Honorable mentions: Watership Down / Odds and Evens / Heaven Can Wait / Invasion of the Body Snatchers / The Lord of the Rings / Almost Summer / Animal House / Capricorn One / Dawn of the Dead / Death on the Nile

* Being There
* The Jerk
* Manhattan
* Meatballs
* The Warriors

Honorable mentions: 10 / Time After Time / Zulu Dawn / Monty Python's Life of Brian / Over the Edge / The Wanderers

* Fame
* The Empire Strikes Back
* Airplane!
* My Bodyguard
* Hero at Large

Honorable mentions: Somewhere in Time / Little Darlings / The Watcher in the Woods / Stir Crazy / Little Miss Marker / Oh! Heavenly Dog / Used Cars / Caddyshack / Heaven's Gate / The Blues Brothers / The Fog / The Changeling / Breaking Glass

* Arthur
* The Cannonball Run
* Raiders of the Lost Ark
* Blow Out
* An American Werewolf in London

Honorable mentions: Stripes / Clash of the Titans / Only When I Laugh / Ragtime / Taps

* Conan the Barbarian
* E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
* Fast Times at Ridgemont High
* The Thing
* Tootsie

Honorable mentions: Tron / Blade Runner / Evil Under the Sun / Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid / Diner / The Flight of Dragons / Grease 2 / I Ought to Be in Pictures / My Favorite Year / Victor/Victoria / Zapped!

* A Christmas Story
* The Outsiders
* Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
* Valley Girl
* WarGames

Honorable mentions: Trading Places / National Lampoon's Vacation / Class / Monty Python's The Meaning of Life / Superman III / Rumble Fish / Scarface / Something Wicked This Way Comes / Star 80

* The Bay Boy
* Electric Dreams
* The Lonely Guy
* Sixteen Candles
* The Terminator

Honorable mentions: Night of the Comet / The Karate Kid / Dune / The Last Starfighter / Body Double / This Is Spinal Tap / Police Academy / Revenge of the Nerds / The NeverEnding Story / Bachelor Party

* Back to the Future
* Explorers
* The Goonies
* Just One of the Guys
* The Breakfast Club

Honorable mentions: Heaven Help Us / Better Off Dead / Brazil / Real Genius / St. Elmo's Fire / The Sure Thing / The Purple Rose of Cairo / A Chorus Line / Clue / Come and See / Crimewave / Desperately Seeking Susan / Fletch

* Big Trouble in Little China
* Ferris Bueller's Day Off
* Lucas
* Pretty in Pink
* Stand by Me

Honorable mentions: The Boy Who Could Fly / Troll / The Money Pit / Peggy Sue Got Married / Labyrinth / Aliens

* 84 Charing Cross Road
* Can't Buy Me Love
* Hiding Out
* RoboCop
* Some Kind of Wonderful

Honorable mentions: Adventures in Babysitting / Deadly Prey / Withnail and I / The Secret of My Succe$s / The Princess Bride

* Big
* Biloxi Blues
* Die Hard
* Plain Clothes
* Scrooged

Honorable mentions: License to Drive / They Live / Bright Lights, Big City / The Chocolate War / Dirty Rotten Scoundrels / The Naked Gun

* Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
* The 'Burbs
* Heathers
* Say Anything...
* When Harry Met Sally

Honorable mentions: Weekend at Bernie's / The Abyss / Back to the Future Part II / Batman

* Edward Scissorhands
* Goodfellas
* Pump Up the Volume
* Tremors
* Total Recall

Honorable mentions: Darkman / My Blue Heaven / Ghost / Back to the Future Part III / Cry-Baby

* Barton Fink
* Frankie and Johnny
* The Hard Way
* Terminator 2: Judgment Day
* Toy Soldiers

Honorable mentions: The Fisher King / The People Under the Stairs / Point Break / What About Bob?

* Hero
* A League of Their Own
* The Player
* Reservoir Dogs
* Wayne's World

Honorable mentions: Sneakers / Batman Returns / My Cousin Vinny

* Army of Darkness
* Dazed and Confused
* Gettysburg
* Groundhog Day
* Schindler's List

Honorable mentions: Matinee / Sleepless in Seattle / So I Married an Axe Murderer / Jurassic Park

* Ed Wood
* The Hudsucker Proxy
* Pulp Fiction
* The Shawshank Redemption
* Three Colors: Red

Honorable mentions: Clerks / Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Dumb and Dumber / Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle / The Paper

* The Brady Bunch Movie
* Clueless
* Empire Records
* Mallrats
* Twelve Monkeys

Honorable mentions: Jumanji

* The Frighteners
* From Dusk Till Dawn
* Kingpin
* Twister
* Waiting for Guffman

Honorable mentions: Fargo / Independence Day

* Addicted to Love
* Boogie Nights
* Cube
* The Fifth Element
* Grosse Pointe Blank

Honorable mentions: The Ice Storm / Jackie Brown / L.A. Confidential / Liar Liar / The Man Who Knew Too Little / Waiting for Guffman / The Wrong Guy

* The Big Lebowski
* Can't Hardly Wait
* Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
* Rushmore
* The Wedding Singer

Honorable mentions: There's Something About Mary / You've Got Mail

* Bowfinger
* Election
* Fight Club
* Magnolia
* Man on the Moon

Honorable mentions: American Beauty / Being John Malkovich / The Blair Witch Project / Mystery Men / Office Space / Stir of Echoes / Sweet and Lowdown

*UPDATED* Because of Willy's posts, to include as honorable (cheat) mentions; 'The Wanderers' / 'Zapped!' / 'Breaking Glass'.

[ 07. May 2010, 09:07: Message edited by: logan5 ]

oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by There'll be no morning for us:
Bumpity bump.

I have a feeling Oneyedwilly might give this a shot? [Smile] [Wink]

Oneyed willy is rubbing his hands together energitically, licking his lips in ponder.

Im also in complete awe of logans ability to do part of or most of his list by memory - thats NOT normal Logan...gonna start calling you rain man soon. Right, ill be back in a minute or two as i need to look at my collection, re-read logans list again as i agree with a lot of them and make some hard decisions.

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Oh Logan, honourable mentions, you big cheat [Big Grin] Great list! You've just made me edit mine for the first time, can't believe I left off Reservoir Dogs [Eek!]

Nice to see somebody else include Magnolia [Smile] You're the first person to leave out Assault On Precinct 13, tut [Razz]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Cool willy [Big Grin]
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i cant believe what just happened, i just got half way through the list and the laptop just died!! Thought i had it plugged in AHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Got to start again.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Im also in complete awe of logans ability to do part of or most of his list by memory
Less to do with memory, more to do with... "Hang on - I don't remember 'Spies Like Us' or 'Just One of the Guys' being listed!" I may have to edit my list when I remember others. Wiki was a mess! [Mad]

quote:
Oh Logan, honourable mentions, you big cheat [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Great list!
I couldn't do it! Some movies I know would change depending on my mood!

quote:
Nice to see somebody else include Magnolia [Smile]
Had its thunder stolen by American Beauty.

quote:
You're the first person to leave out Assault On Precinct 13, tut [Razz]
'76? Very tough year. LOTS of good movies. I had to think strategically. I knew JC's movies would crop up again so...

Besides, I think the theme music has stuck with me more than the movie! Maybe not.

quote:
cant believe what just happened, i just got half way through the list and the laptop just died!! Thought i had it plugged in AHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Got to start again.
It takes aaaaaaaaaages!
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
I cant stand any disaster movies, films with talking animals or babys,the mafia,quintin T or superhero movies. Here are my favourites, movies which were liked and watched a lot at the time they came out or the first time i watched it...not done in hindsight. Titanic/brave heart/pulp fiction/pretty woman/god father/forest gump/4 weddings/matrix/robin hood/twister(first movie on dvd) didnt make my list - why? i liked others more!! simple.

1970 carry on up the jungle/catch 22/scrooge/airport

1971 diamonds are 4eva/bed knobs/summer of 42 / play misty for me / willy wonker

1972 nightstalker / heartbreak kid - couldnt think of any others i liked

1973 GREAT YR FOR ME!! charlottes web / enter dragon / live & let die

1974 man with golden gun / taking of phelam 123 / longest yard

1975 holy grail / jaws / roller ball / return of pink panther

1976 - omen / bugsy malone / king kong / logans run / assault on P13 (no not rocky)

1977 - orca / the car / star wars / eagle has landed / spy who loved me

1978 - halloween / capricorn one / wild geese / omen 2 / jaws 2

1979 - muppet movie / moonraker / the wanderers

1980 - flash gordon / blue lagoon / fri 13

1981 - condor man / for your eyes only / american were wolf in london / clash of titans

1982 - rocky 3 / tootsie / long good friday / zapped / fast times

1983 dark crystal / cujo / evil dead / class / man with 2 brains

1984 woman in red / grems / Nestory / KK / ghostbusters

1985 (hardest yr for me) BTTF / rocky4 / Goonies / jewel of nile / commando (teeneolf/weired science/BOD came close)

1986 rad / thrashin / stand by me / kk2 / BTILC

1987 mannequin / some kind of won (thanks Logan) / robocop / princess bride / secret of my suc

1988 bloodsport / young guns / big / stealing home / dragons forever (jackie chan)(no die hard did not make it)

1989 dream a lil d / BTTF2 / kickboxer / IJLast crusade / cyborg

1990 home alone / dance wolves / tremors / BTTF3 (havnt seen ghost or ed scissors and dont want to) didnt like romeo/juliet or pretty woman)

1991 career opps / T2 / double impact / toy soldiers / if looks could kill

1992 alladin / encino man / might ducks / universal soldier / passanger 57

1993 groundhog day / hexed / true romance / wrong trousers

1994 trapped in paradise / shawshank / time cop / speed / iron will

1995 usual sus / 7 / ghost in the shell / empire records / assassins

1996 frightners / happy g / sleepers / rock / rumble in bronx

1997 - austin p / the game / rain maker / gross point b

1998 saving pryan / lock stock 2 smokin barrels / rush hr / wedding singer

1999 mummy / payback / stigmata

[ 06. May 2010, 14:09: Message edited by: oneyedwilly ]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
'The Wanderers'! 'Zapped'! Wiki failed me! Both of those would have appeared in my (cheat) 'Honorable Mentions'!

Lotsa good movies there!

78 / 80 / 82 / 84 / 85 were my toughest years (I think '82 was the worst). '85 was a good year!

What happened in '87? No 'Some Kind of Wonderful'? No 'Can't Buy Me Love'? 'Robocop'?

I just realised... possibly a first... no John Hughes!

oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
oh my god logan, your right. there isnt a john hughes. Whats going on there?? i did some yrs by memory and i couldnt remember any from 87...but now youve said some kind of wonderful i feel like a plonker!! Yes that would definately make it as would robocop. I thought robocop was the most graphic movie id ever seen at that point in my life and felt a little scared at the time. Being british Logan im surprise Quadriphinia (pardon the spelling) isnt on your list, why is that?? Oh yeah, great call on victor/victoria and clash of the titans. What yr was jason and argonauts??
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
whats interesting is that ive got big collection of movies but most of these ive listed i dont even have [Confused] hmmm.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
I thought robocop was the most graphic movie id ever seen at that point in my life and felt a little scared at the time.
I read the comic adaptation first, then when I saw the film I realised how much comics tone things down!

quote:
Being british Logan im surprise Quadriphinia (pardon the spelling) isnt on your list, why is that?? Oh yeah, great call on victor/victoria and clash of the titans. What yr was jason and argonauts??
I liked it. I think everyone (over here) has a Quadrophenia kick when they're a teenager. It just isn't a movie I've needed to return to once I left my teens. However, you have reminded my of a movie that defined my teens much more around the same time as I saw Quadrophenia - 'Breaking Glass' (1980). As a result I'm gonna update my honorable mentions!

I think Jason and the Argonauts was about '63. Something like that.

oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
breaking glass ?? No i dont know that one at all, whats the connection to quadrophenia there?
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by oneyedwilly:
breaking glass ?? No i dont know that one at all, whats the connection to quadrophenia there?

Phil Daniels, features music heavily, made in 1980. It was just 'around' at the same time. Hazel O'Connor (the star) had hit singles at the time with songs from the soundtrack. I loved the movie when I was a teen and played the soundtrack to death.

Check it out! It really captures London at around '79-'80 right before the video age took over. This was 'New Wave' in action!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home