iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Summer jobs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Summer jobs
Colt 45
Master Rewinder
Member # 4940

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Colt 45   Email Colt 45   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody else have summer jobs back in the 80s?

During summers of 88 and 89 I worked at a tourist trap out of state. Summer of 88 I arrived at my job not knowing anybody and was really nervous. The dorm daddy checked me in and told me the rules. I was a cook in the restaurent and decided to play the field. I met a lot of really cool people. My dorm daddy played a trick on me by telling me that there was a 10pm curfew, I fell for it but then the guys at work told me it was BS. Four nites a week we drank at a kegger/bonfire. Fights broke out and people would dump fireworks into the fire and they would fly out of the fire in all directions, it was all you can drink for 2 dollors. I dated a lot of different girls.

In 89 I went back and met a girl the first nite and had a girlfriend the entire summer, so I did not party as much. We got along great and I thought that she would be the girl that I would be walking down the aisle with. After the summer was over she came to visit me at college, She got angry at me because I wanted to watch NFL football, when I was not out drinking or womanizing or into drugs she said that sports addiction was just as bad. Other then that it was great. I went to spend Christmas with her and her parents we got along great but her mom was stand-offish from the get go. To this day I have no idea why. Then her mom got downright rude to me the last couple of days I was there. When I got back to college my girlfriend called and we were talking and then she says 'my mom does not think that our relationship will work out because you are immature'. I was stunned. Then we dated for nine more months after that getting along just fine, we met up halfway between our colleges for vacation, talked on the phone all the time, and were discussing plans to live together in her state or in mine. In September of 1990, 16 months after we started dating, I called her one moring and she says 'I had a guy spend the night and he is still here, I cant talk'. The next day I called her and broke up with her I did not know what else to do. I called her friend and asked whats going on and she said that she did not want to get involved. A year later I went to see her and she said 'we grew apart' she never appologized or felt bad for cheating on me. I said 'do you want to get back together?' and she said 'no'. Rather than cheating on me I think she should have had the decency to break up with me or tell me she was unhappy and given us a chance to try and work things out. Especially after she had been the one who talked about getting engaged and about getting married. I still to this day wonder what the heck went through her head or if her mom had something to do with her behavior. The fact that she wasn't ever remorseful about cheating on me or was not sad at all when I broke up with her the next day has baffled me for years! We talked here and there through the years and she never told me why her mom was standoffish toward me, but her dad was not. And if it was something else that had bothered her, just not knowing for all these years what she was unhappy about has baffled me for years and also why she did not want to make any effort to try and resolve any issues between us!

[ 29. March 2009, 11:58: Message edited by: Colt 45 ]

Posts: 124 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In '87 and '88 I worked at a lumber yard. In '89 I worked at a grocery store. These were not only summer jobs though, I worked after school too. My best job ever was in 1990 when I was a camp counselor for the summer. Can't beat that job.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During 86-89 I primed tobacco for my grandparents. Also beginning in 91 I primed tobacco during the day and worked in a grocery store at night. Priming tobacco was by far the hardest job I ever had as anyone can attest to whose ever done it. I lifeguarded at local pools during my college years which was by far the coolest job I ever had.........
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I worked at Burger King during the summer, and was a camp counselor.

Colt 45-What ever happened to that girl?

Sometimes people just grow apart- and sometimes, other people's opinions do sway people away from someone. Having a mother that put pressure on her...was probably a big factor.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mum often worked weekends in our local general store and I'd come and help out for a few hours, usually as an excuse to get away from homework! I wasn't paid for it, but it was fun, plus I got to help myself to lollies and drinks!
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first "real" summer job was working in a church. I remember cleaning the pews, doing all kinds of cleaning. It was almost too quiet, thank gosh I had my walkmen and 80's music tapes or I would have gone completely stir crazy!

Isis, you must have looked adorable back then in your Burger King uniform.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had a specific summer job. Every job I've ever had I was hired as a regular employee with the exception of picking up a job at Swiss Colony for some added Christmas money one year.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started working at 9 delivering newspapers and haven't stopped yet. No cool summer jobs for me. It sounds like some of you had some fun... [Smile]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use to deliver newspapers too. After school....and all summer long. I loved riding my 10-speed.

Riptide-my outfit was the same one Elisabeth Shue is wearing in the 80s Burger King commercials she did.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why did you deliver papers in a Burger King uniform?
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The same uniform you and Mrs. Shue wore was the same uniform anyone wore who worked at Burger King back then. Why did you deliver papers in a uniform?
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colt 45
Master Rewinder
Member # 4940

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Colt 45   Email Colt 45   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
I worked at Burger King during the summer, and was a camp counselor.

Colt 45-What ever happened to that girl?

Sometimes people just grow apart- and sometimes, other people's opinions do sway people away from someone. Having a mother that put pressure on her...was probably a big factor.

She got married in 1995, has two children and is a teacher in Colorado.

I still exchange Christmas cards with her friend, who is also married, that is how I know this much.

Posts: 124 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colt 45
Master Rewinder
Member # 4940

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Sammy Hain Invasion:
I've never had a specific summer job. Every job I've ever had I was hired as a regular employee with the exception of picking up a job at Swiss Colony for some added Christmas money one year.

I had summer jobs all through high school and college.

1985 - Dishwasher at a cafe.
1986 - Taco Bell
1987 - Dominoes Pizza
1988 - Grand Canyon,AZ
1989 - Grand Canyon,AZ
1990 - Meat Packing Plant
1991 - Target Store

Ironically, when I finished college I had an interview with the executive offices of a major insurance company, the reason I wasn't hired was because I had job hopped to much.

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
No kidding that everyone wore that same uniform, like duh.....it was the 80s!

I had quit the paper route by the time Burger King rolled around.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home