iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Kids and MySpace

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kids and MySpace
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know several people here have MySpace pages, myself included, but would you let your child (and I'm not talking teenagers here, I'm talking child) have a MySpace page? It's a growing trend at my school...second and third graders with their own pages! One of the second graders was thrilled Friday because she could go home and play on her MySpace page. If I had a child that young, I just couldn't see letting them have one. Teenager, maybe, but child, no! What do the rest of you think?
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree with you. but it's up to the parent(s), i guess. it's crazy, the way things are today.. and children have so much access to everything, thanks to the internet. i am sure you see and hear alot, being a teacher..
my friend's daughter is 6 years old, and her mother went out and bought her a cell phone... i couldn't believe that. i feel that's way too young to be having her own phone.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way! You've got to watch everything they do these days... Unfortunately...
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My nieces are like 13 or 15 and the older one showed me her MY SPACE once and right on the page it has her name and..WHERE SHE GOES TO SCHOOL! I said "What are you nuts? Anybody could show up at your school, call you over and throw you in their car". As far as I knwo she never took it down though.

I know 40 year old guys who go on there. thats just wrong wrong wrong.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
My nieces are like 13 or 15 and the older one showed me her MY SPACE once and right on the page it has her name and..WHERE SHE GOES TO SCHOOL! I said "What are you nuts? Anybody could show up at your school, call you over and throw you in their car". As far as I knwo she never took it down though.

"I know 40 year old guys who go on there. thats just wrong wrong wrong."

So many freaks, so few circuses... [Eek!]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nowheregirl, you're exactly right - it's up to the parents. Sadly, so many parents are ignorant of what their kids get up to online, either through lack of interest or their kids just being cleverer than they are. They also don't believe that their precious little darlings could possibly be up to any mischief or putting themselves in danger through acting irresponsibly. If they don't wise up and take some control back, then trouble is brewing.

What I WOULD say, however, is this: we have some female band friends who visit our myspace page, and by definition, that means we can visit theirs, should we wish. Now, they are still at school, and we are all 40-ish. I trust that there are exceptions to the "wrong, wrong, wrong" rule being applied above.....

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bandit   Author's Homepage   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way.I don`t even let my almost 14 year old son use internet alone,without checking from time to time that rules are been followed.He`s ok with that so far though.There are just to many sick people/web pages out there.Maybe i`m to strict?

Anyway,i`m a gadget fan,and so is he.And it makes sense learning a bit computer at a young age.Got him a HP pavillion 4gb ram/dualcore a few days back.He gets it on Sunday.Can`t wait to see him flip out;-)

Posts: 362 | From: Third rock from the sun | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bloody wouldn't let a child have a myspace page....A) it's not safe...and B) children should be reading books and playing,....not arsing about on the net....they have to wait til they are big like me before they can do THAT [Wink] [Wink]
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gigawatt?

Member # 4796

2 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Gigawatt?   Email Gigawatt?   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone here on MyFace?

You should definitely get on it if you're not already. Most of my friends are on MyFace and the number is growing everyday.

I wouldn't let kids on it though.

Posts: 106 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2006 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chantelle Pride
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 6682

- posted      Profile for Chantelle Pride   Email Chantelle Pride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i haven't got one but i still get their newsletters
Posts: 17 | From: west notts college | Registered: Mar 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilash
Master Rewinder
Member # 6155

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for evilash   Email evilash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely not. I saw a 3 yr old the other day with her own cell phone. I have a 2 yr old and she isn't getting on the internet til she married when she's at least 30.
Posts: 327 | From: Lebanon, OH | Registered: Oct 2007 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by evilash:
Absolutely not. I saw a 3 yr old the other day with her own cell phone. I have a 2 yr old and she isn't getting on the internet til she married when she's at least 30.

WTF would a 3 year old need with a cell phone??
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case they want to go Nappy-Slapping?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home