iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » So.. did anyone actually watch the Grammys?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So.. did anyone actually watch the Grammys?
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know some of us here could care less.. but did anyone happen to watch it?

it's was very..."blah".. if you ask me.

how nice of them to throw metallica and coldplay in the best rock album category... wtf??? and then coldplay won..?! since when is that considered rock?
they beat out kid rock as well.
i cannot stand the song, viva la vida.

whitney houston presented an award, and she looked a little "messed up" or however you want to say it. [Wink]

apparently chris brown turned himself in to the cops for assaulting his g/f rhianna after the pre grammy show.. grrreat. [Frown]

the one performance i loved the best was kanye, jay-z, lil wayne, t.i. and m.i.a. doing swagga like us.. i love that song.

anyone else watch?

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched the first half-hour or so. I think Whitney was completely out of it last night! The kids at school were talking about Chris Brown and Rhianna--I think it's funny that some of them can't tell you anything that goes on in the classroom but know about that, and bout TI being arrested before and all this other junk.

I don't like Coldplay and there is no way I would put them in the same category as Metallica. Didn't Metallica lose to Jethro Tull one year also?

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed the first hour so I missed Whitney and some other stuff. I saw Katy Perry first, she had some nice decor and props, but her studio recordings really build up her voice compared to her live. I was surprised to see MIA with the Kanye and co., she was heavily pregnant and due any day now. I was also surprised with Radiohead performing and being nominated, they have been so ant-establishment this decade, it didn't look like their kind of shin dig.

A bit surprised Adele won best new artist, Jazmine Osullivan was robbed IMO. Duffy too I thought would do better. But my biggest surprise was Robert Plant/Dianne Krall winning best album. I guess I am so used to seeing stuff like the Amercian music awards where it is based on popularity and sales. So that was an eye opener!

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I turned on partway through the show, only to see Kenny Chesney start singing - so I turned it off!
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Eddie Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dianna krall?....allison krauss
Posts: 711 | From: Fort Worth, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, soeet it was Allsion Krauss and not Diane Krall. I always get them mixed up!

The Chris Brown/Rhianna stuff has been a hot topic at the watercooler today. I guess he has already turned himself in. Don't know the extent of her injuries or what went down. Someone was telling me today that the reason he went beserk was because she gave him an STD. I don't know what the real story is though.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought they were pretty blah too Ronnie. The highlight for me was the Sir Paul McCartney performance with Dave Grohl pounding the skins. I enjoyed the Radiohead performance as well........

[ 09. February 2009, 16:25: Message edited by: MotleyRulz ]

Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a mess.

They look like they are trying to cover up the Chris Brown and Rihanna thing already, her publicist was saying she was in a car accident.

But, he had turned himself in already.

The song Run it-by Chris Brown is a song I like a little bit-but I don't know anything about any of those people.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparantly Rihanna has black eyes and swollen lips, and bite marks on her arms and fingers.
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i didn't watch it at all i saw the commercial for the song with paul mccartney and david grohl and i wanted to watch that only but i missed it anyways i don't consider cold play rock either especially over metallica?? what is up with that?? as far as the rihanna chris brown thing don't know and don't really care sorry!! i don';t listen to either of them i do like leona lewis she has a great voice does anyone know if she won? thanks dee
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Rihanna song- Disturbia- is played everywhere- that video is nuts- if anyone wants to understand what I am talking about -with new stuff- just look at that video, and that's exactly what I am talking about.

They played the Grammys again last night, I tried to watch pieces of it...some interviewer guy said this was one of the best Grammy's in years.

What was great about it??, that Whitney is trying to get her life back together after having being on Cocaine, and that 2 very young performers got in to a fight- I saw where she had the bite marks on her arm- he must have beat the heck out of her, and to bite someone- my gosh- that's "DISTURBIA".

Here's a thing I don't get...all these Rappers- they don't even sing....they all rename themselves- a one word name...or some goofy nickname...that has Big Mamma, Big Pappa, Big Daddy in it, -half of them probably aren't even parents- what is with that?? Little so and so, Big so and so, Snoop, Diddy....they should name them Dopey and Dingy.

I can understand when your Cher, and you don't need a last name, but these people, act like the sun rises and sets on them, and they are awful.

They should name themselves: Big Giant Stupid Waste of Energy.

That would be a great name for a group.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Haven't seen Rhianna's injuries yet, is it her face or all over her body?

Isis, were you a big hip hop fan in the 80's-90's? I know you love the Breaking movies and what not. Rappers have had these kind of names for years, Young MC, Tone Loc, LL Cool J. Maybe the short-pseudo names are easier for autographs or something.

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I know, and I thought those names were dumb then too.

I have NEVER EVER said that every single thing about the 80s was good.

I did like Rob Base, and Run DMC-but just a few songs.

This stuff out now, it just is hideous. And they pay those people so much money- when there are starving people in the world, and people who do really awesome things every day- but we pay people crazy money for writing a horrible song.

Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
I'm not much into the urban rap or hiphop, I prefer the artists that lean more towards pop, like Rihanna or Nelly.

I think there have always been artists going by a single name. Cher was going by just Cher back in the 60's, before she'd proven to be the lifelong legend that she is. Same with Madonna and Bono. But it's just like with any artists, we only remember the best of the best, so in 20 years time, people are going to be wondering "who the hell was Lil Wayne"

BY the way, I love the names Dopey and Dingy!!!

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dingy the long lost forgotten 8th dwarf
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I want to know who the heck the guy was that had the diamond grill in his mouth- what a goober.

I know that there are lots of 1 named artists, but they usually have a long list of credentials underneath that name.

The girl that was pregnant- I never heard of her...I have no idea who she is.

Most of those people, I had no clue who they were.

I barely know who Miley Cyrus even is.

I have heard 1 song she has ever done.

I have heard a part of 1 Jonas Brothers song- ever.

If Chris Brown did beat Rihanna up...do you think she will be back with him?

I was watching part of "Sleeping with the Enemy" last night- it was on regular TV, and I was thinking about Julia Roberts character in that movie, and how many women stay in abusive relationships, because someone hit them...well if they hit you...why wouldn't that scared the heck out of you to leave...because you know they could kill you by staying. That is something I have never understood. I was saying that to my mom tonight...no guy has ever laid a hand on me in my lifetime...if they did, I would have taken a ballbat to them...and that would have been the end of that.

Because I can see how someone can sucker you in, and you think they are awesome, and then once they have you...they snap and change in to someone else, so I can see how that can happen...but when someone has an abusive personality from the start-you need to dump them.

I can't get over the biting thing....who bites a girl? That's so sickening.

I hope that this whole incident does not send the wrong message to young teens.

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:

I know that there are lots of 1 named artists, but they usually have a long list of credentials underneath that name.

They all had to start somewhere including Madonna, Cher, Bono, Liberace, Yanni etc.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Ewww Yanni....
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it was on the local news here yesterday about the fight between rhianna and chris and they said on there that chris was mad because rhianna gave him a std??? so sad!!! don't know if it is true but no reason is good at all for the beating and biting he did to her?? just insane!!! i never liked any rap or hip-hop music myself to me it is not singing it is talking and dumb talking at that!!!!
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like a bit of rap.. mostly east coast rap, i'm not into gangsta rap, but i do like a few songs here and there. the beats and lyrics catch my attention.
rap isn't singing..it's not supposed to be. it's the flowing of lyrics,... rhyming.
but there are some rappers who both rhyme and sing.

i have more respect for artists (including rappers) who write their own material, create their own beats & music... than those who are "created" to have their songs in the top 20 and in constant radio rotation, to the point where you can't stand to hear the song ever again. a lot of today's popluar pop singers, are so over exposed, it's ridiculous.
don't get me wrong, i do love listening to catchy tunes such as the veronicas: untouched. but i listen to all kinds of music, from many genres.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam's right about artists having to start somewhere. Sheryl Crow (sorry not a fan) was a backup singer for Michael Jackson before hitting it big and Ronnie Milsap provided some backing vocals for Elvis as well as playing the piano occasionally for him before he made it. Hendrix was in Little Richard's band for a brief period in the 60's before he hit the big time. Those are just a few examples as I am sure there are many.......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
To answer Isis, the pregnant woman was MIA, who had one of the better songs of 2008 with Paper Planes, the intro sampled the Clash's Straight to hell. She was due to give birth around that day, so a shock that she performed. Was thinking she was going to wear a long dress to hide the bulge.

No pictures yet of Rhianna's injuries, sounded nasty as she had a split lip, bruised forehead, black eye and bite marks on her arm. Didn't know much about Chris Brown, but he's lost some endorsements and appearances already. I hope she doesn't stay with the clown and not press charges.

Not much of a fan of current hip hop. Can't stand 50 cent, not that impressed with Lil Wayne either. There's a crew of lesser know hip hop acts who I like such as Lil Brother, Kids in the Hall, Cool Kids who kind of are influenced by the 80's-90's hip hop where there was humour, social commentary, storytelling, the kind of stuff that's forgotten about and unfortunately doesn't shift units in today's market place.

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Well Sheryl Crow and Ronnie Milsap go by a first and last name....I know everyone starts somewhere, but some of these new people they look like they pulled them out from under a park bench and stuck them on stage.
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
She had a baby boy!

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/149182-mia-has-a-baby-boy

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nope..didnt watch
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home