iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Ireland and Britains domination of the Golden Globes..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ireland and Britains domination of the Golden Globes..
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I was just wondering how all the Americans on here feel about getting wooped in the Golden Globes??
Slumdog Millionaire, Danny Boyle, Kate Winslet, Colin Farrell and Gabriel Byrne, it was like The Bafta's!!! [Big Grin]

[ 14. January 2009, 02:46: Message edited by: Paul Dangerously, you iceholes.... ]

Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was like last year's Oscars... I might be wrong coz I can't be bothered researching it, but didn't 3 of the 4 acting awards go to non-Americans?

Oh and Jack, don't forget Heath Ledger, the late antipodean winner. I'm glad he won because he's an Aussie, but although he was excellent in the Dark Knight, I don't know if his performance is worthy of an Oscar nom.

I think the Globes have such an international flavour because they are voted on by members of the international press.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, all good points mate. Heath was amazing and I think he will win the Oscar aswell. I mean the people he was up against were'nt outstandinng by any means. I think he deserved everthing he's going to get. And more. RIP a true talent. Heath Ledger..
Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good to see awards going to people who actually deserve it. I don't care if they are American or not. There are lots of great actors from all over the world, but, this time the light shines on the Brits, Irish, Aussies... Congrats to all...

Or

How dare you insult the Americans!!! No, I like the first one better... [Big Grin]

I wonder who will win the Oscars? [Smile]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ledger's performance is moooooore than worthy when you consider Denzel got the Oscar in 2002 (Best Actor) for a movie like Training Day which IMO wasn't even Oscar worthy. I like Denzel and all but that performance was bleckkkkkk........
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Jack Burton:
So I was just wondering how all the Americans on here feel about getting wooped in the Golden Globes??

[Roll Eyes] who cares...american or not...

as far as heath's fellow nominees... i think phillip seymore hoffman (sp) is an outstanding actor. i was afraid heath would lose to him...if i recall correctly, he won the golden globe and oscar for best actor for his character in CAPOTE.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MotleyRulz:
Denzel got the Oscar in 2002 (Best Actor) for a movie like Training Day which IMO wasn't even Oscar worthy. I like Denzel and all but that performance was bleckkkkkk........

my goodness i couldn't believe he won for that role, motely. i've seen denzel do much better in other movies where he wasn't even nominated.

russell crowe lost to him that year when he did a fantastic job in the movie, A BEAUTIFUL MIND. i was stunned that he didn't win, but denzel did for training day!?!?!???????

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
denzel should not have won the oscar for that role. that was a payback oscar. that's why i can't take the oscar's seriously.

everyone should check out "in bruges". that movie was ****ing stellar. i'm not a big colin farrel fan but he was good in that movie.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
I think all you guys are wrong. Denzil was a monster in that movie. He was brilliant. Watch the scene near the end when the neighbourhood turns on him:

'Aww, you mother****ers. Okay. Alright. I'm putting cases on all you bitches. Huh. You think you can do this ****... Jake. You think you can do this to me? You mother****ers will be playing basketball in Pelican Bay when I get finished with you. SHU program, ni##a. 23 hour lockdown. I'm the man up in this piece. You'll never see the light of... who the **** do you think you're ****ing with? I'm the police, I run **** around here. You just live here. Yeah, that's right, you better walk away. Go on and walk away... 'cause I'm gonna' burn this mother****er down. King Kong ain't got **** on me. That's right, that's right. ****, I don't, ****. I'm winning anyway, I'm winning... I'm winning any mother****ing way. I can't lose. Yeah, you can shoot me, but you can't kill me.'

It's genius. Real as hell. And well worthy of the oscar he got.

Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by xchazx:
denzel should not have won the oscar for that role. that was a payback oscar. that's why i can't take the oscar's seriously.

everyone should check out "in bruges". that movie was ****ing stellar. i'm not a big colin farrel fan but he was good in that movie.

I agree with you on In Bruges.
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only made it a third of the way through In Bruges. It looked boring... Maybe I should try again..
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by jdocster:
I only made it a third of the way through In Bruges. It looked boring... Maybe I should try again..

Please do. Its funny, dark and original. A hard thing to find these days..
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Jack Burton:
I think all you guys are wrong. Denzil was a monster in that movie. He was brilliant. Watch the scene near the end when the neighbourhood turns on him:

'Aww, you mother****ers. Okay. Alright. I'm putting cases on all you bitches. Huh. You think you can do this ****... Jake. You think you can do this to me? You mother****ers will be playing basketball in Pelican Bay when I get finished with you. SHU program, ni##a. 23 hour lockdown. I'm the man up in this piece. You'll never see the light of... who the **** do you think you're ****ing with? I'm the police, I run **** around here. You just live here. Yeah, that's right, you better walk away. Go on and walk away... 'cause I'm gonna' burn this mother****er down. King Kong ain't got **** on me. That's right, that's right. ****, I don't, ****. I'm winning anyway, I'm winning... I'm winning any mother****ing way. I can't lose. Yeah, you can shoot me, but you can't kill me.'

It's genius. Real as hell. And well worthy of the oscar he got.

Funny you should mention that speech Jack, because thats exactly what I said to the guy at McDonald's when he claimed they didn't serve breakfast after 11:00 [Wink]
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Bruges is a great movie, Colin Farrel & Brendan Gleason are hilarious, favourite scene has to be Farrell's arguement with the racist dwarf.

I'm not really interested in most of the movies that won or are in contention at the Oscars. The only one that looks good is 'Revolutionary Road'. I liked Mickey Rourke in 'The Wrestler' (though 'JCVD' is the real hidden gem of unexpected comebacks) but the best film I've seen so far this year is 'Che' which isn't even in the running.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jdocster:

you should. it starts out a little slow but it picks up and is so worth staying with it.

off topic, another movie i always highly recommend along with in bruges is a movie called "lucky number slevin". please check this movie out. i'm surprised it was never big when it was released in the theaters. and like in bruges, it's the kind of movie you need to stick with as it pays off handsomely.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home