iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Random Thoughts, Oddities, & Daily Annoyances (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Random Thoughts, Oddities, & Daily Annoyances
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a continuation of the previous post...

Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

,One day a mother died.

And on that clear, cold morning,
In the warmth of her bedroom,
The daughter was struck with
The pain of learning that sometimes
There isn't any more.

No more hugs,
No more lucky moments to celebrate together,
No more phone calls just to chat,
No more 'just one minute'

Sometimes, what we care about the most goes away.
Never to return before we can say good-bye,
Say 'I Love You.'

So while we have it . . it's best we love it . .
And care for it and fix it when it's broken
And take good care of it when it's sick.

This is true for marriage .... And friendships ...

And children with bad report cards;
And dogs with bad hips;
And aging parents and grandparents
We keep them because they are worth it,
Because we cherish them!

Some things we keep --
Like a best friend who moved away
Or a classmate we grew up with.
There are just some things that
Make us happy, No matter what..

Life is important,
And so are the people we know
And so, we keep them close!

I received this from someone today
Who thought I was a 'KEEPER'!

Then I sent It to the people
I Think of in the same way!

Now it's your turn to send this to all those people
Who Are 'keepers' in your life!

Thank you very much for
Being a special part of MY Life!

Be kinder than necessary,
For everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isis, that is some scary stuff you are dealing with. I can't believe it's E-coli. God, I hope she is going to be alright.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Isis, I am so sorry to hear that!! I really hope with all my heart that your mom will be fine again soon. I am sure she will! But things like that really scare you, don't they... but it is a good thing that they found out quickly what was wrong and now she can be treated accordingly.
Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a different note:

not being American - could someone please explain to me what the difference is between soda/pop and soft drinks? Soda/pop/coke are bubbly soft drinks? [Confused]

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you ask for soda or pop, how does the server know what variety you want? Do you want Coke, Fanta, Sprite, lemon, etc? Soda/pop is an umbrella term really.

Here in Australia we ask for exactly what we want - a jug of Coke, or a glass of Lift.

I remember years ago there was a thread here about the coke/soda/pop debate and I remember seeing that map.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all....ISIS, all my best to you and your mom.

Soda/pop/soft drinks....it's all the same thing, just different names.

Never heard of Lift Stitch....must be a ton of caffeine in that.

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
We have a drink called Lift here in Germany too... it's just apple juice mixed with soda water. Very refreshing.
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi isis i wish you and your mom the best too!! one of my daily annoyances is the two circles they put in down our street here? noone knows what they are suppose to do/? duh? when the sign says yield you yield then go!!! and i never go thru the drive-thru don't you remember what the little guy in lethal weapon said in the car to mel gibson: they always **** you at the drive-thru!! every time!!! lol dee [Cool]
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks you guys.

E-coli is one of those things you hear about alot, but don't think you'll ever get it.

I make sure everything we eat and touch is clean, and well cooked. You can get it from unpasturized milk and apple juice...and it can be on Lettuce and Tomatoes.

I remember not long ago a school had it in strawberry milk.

I have to report it today to the Health Department ...they are going to have to send a food inspector there.

I know that's where she got it from, because the meat was still red....and I said...yuck, that doesn't even look cooked, and she said that was the way she always had her steak done, and I even said...that's not good. But, other people eat stuff rare, but you should never do that.

Anyway...here's something else that annoys me to no end, and it happens every day...it's the news.

This morning I was waiting for my contractors to get here ...they are working on remodelling my living room, and I was watching the News....someone broke in to the place that they had been collecting all the Toys for Tots (for Christmas), and stole all the toys ...including 26 bicycles. It's like a real life Grinch.

It's horrible when people are out there working to give to less fortunate people...and then someone steals everything.

Then they talked about a 13 year old boy was shot in the head and killed.

Someone's house was broken in to, and robbed, and they shot their dog (it lived)...but every thing in the news is so horrible any more....it's like people are use to it.

I just want to hear that there are good things happening.

I wonder all the time why people can ever stand to watch the news. Even when I travel and turn on a TV to watch the weather-I get bombarded with horrible stories.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EleanorJune
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ISIS, I am so sorry about your mom. I hope she is able to get over this quickly. Make sure that the docs are keeping track of her red blood cell count. Some migrain meds can lower it anyway, and with having e-coli on top of that is can make it worse. Also her platelet count. You can get e-coli so many different ways. I hope when the inspector goes today, they are able to find what caused it. Like employees not washing their hands, contaminated water used for cleaning...so on. I wish you both my best. If you need anything let me know. Or if you have questions, I know a lot about e-coli from the old biz.

So on to daily annoyances....I was going through my christmas lights last week, and on the stand of lights it says "for indoor or outdoor use only". Where else can I use them? Just wondering!

| Site Updates: 0 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is your mom still in intensive care? How long do you think she will be there?

This annoyance is directed to what Isis is saying about the news, and says a lot about our society in general. Over the past few years I have seen some amazing, unreported, unheralded things. One time I was a few csutomers behind a guy who threathened the cashier and took off with some money. He ran out of the storwe, and about three guys ran after him, tackled him pinned him down while police got there. These were just random people walking by. I looked at the paper the next day and there was no mention of it. Real heroes walk the street and no one acknowledges. Maybe it undermines the police's role in these affairs I don't know. But it makes you think how much great stuff goes on but doesn't get printed because good news doesn't sell papers.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear Isis. (Man, so much bad news here lately [Frown] ).

I don't know exactly what e-colli is, but from what I understand, it's some kind of food poisoning?

Anyway, I hope your mom will be ok again really soon.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My deepest heartfelt feelings to you and your mom ISIS. Be strong and get through this you..
Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one reason why I am a well, well, well done steak person. I don't want my cow mooing when it comes to the table, LOL. I was at an Outback last year, and I gave the well, well, well done speech, and the guy looked at me kinda confused and said, "Do you want them to burn it?" I thought, you idiot, did I say BURN???

Ya'll know how at McDonald's they always try to get you to try something off their dollar menu? Well there's this little guy at our local McD's...he's kinda mentally challenged...and he's the only one who says, "Would you like to try two apple pies for a dollar?" I think to myself, if I wanted two apple pies, I would say so. I know he's just trying to do what he's told, but really.

Oh, and around my little part of the universe, it's pop. If someone ordered soda, some people would have no clue what they were talking about.

Hope your mom gets better, Isis.

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ordering a steak medium rare is enough to kill any bacteria on the steak. However, it sounds as thought there was probably cross-contamination. Does the steak place also sell hamburgers? Some slob in the kithen probably put a steak on the counter where a raw burger had previously been placed. The whole well done steak thing-yuck! You should just order shoe leather or rawhide if you order a well done steak. That is why I refuse to ever go out to eat at a steak place with my mother. She orders it well done, and no matter where we're at, she gripes that it's tough. Then my poor father, who always orders med. well, trades with her,even though he has a partial bridge in his teeth, just so she will shut her piehole. Then she gobbles down his med. well steak and says his was just a much better steak. This has happened probably 20 times, so I just don't go out to eat with them anymore because she makes it a miserable experience. Anyhoo, Google about cooking steaks and why you have to cook hamburger well done and steaks can be cooked med. rare and still have bacteria killed. The hambuger is ground, so all of the bacteria gets ground into it. I bought a cow in the spring time, and we split it with our friend. I always wash my steaks (or chicken or fish) off under running water before cooking too.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steak.. Bloody as hell.. Only way. Grrrrr....
Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Thanks again.

I contacted the Department of Health, and I gave them some information, then they said they'd call me back. So, I haven't heard back yet.

My mom is just resting and talking it easy.

E-coli is bacteria...it comes from fecal contamination, and it gets on food and people don't know it, and they ingest it, and they get the bacteria in their intestinal tract and it just goes crazy in there.

I read that 2000 people are hospitalized a year with it (that didn't seem like many to me)...but 60 of them die.

I am scared about the whole thing...a couple of my friends know a little bit about the place where she got it from, and they said the owners are not the most upstanding group...so they said to becareful...But it's out of my hands...it has to be reported.

If a child or elderly person got it...they could die real easy...my mom isn't the most healthy person on the planet...so she is in serious trouble.

It makes me mad...because I am a neat FANATIC...to the extreme....I worry about germs and stuff....and my house is spotless ...you could eat off the floor here, and I see alot of places that really are not clean....and nothing happens to those people. It's like they have built up immunity from disease from living in a filthy environment.
It is scary.

[ 13. November 2008, 06:45: Message edited by: ISIS ]

80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EleanorJune:
....I was going through my christmas lights last week, and on the stand of lights it says "for indoor or outdoor use only". Where else can I use them? Just wondering!

Maybe they wrote that in case you were planning on bringing them with you on your trip to the moon. [Big Grin]

Steak and burgers for me....well, well done.

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
That's it I'm going vegetarian! I really don't eat much red meat these days, although it doesn't get much better than a BBQ steak in the summer. I've always been a fan of the medium-well done, and I've gotten flak for it too, "oooh, you like your steak grey"? I feel some vindication now. Does e-coli have some sort of connection to mad cow disease?
EleanorJune
unregistered

E-coli has nothing to do with mad cow. Many healthy cows do cary the e-coli bacteria in their intestines though. You can get e-coli from undercooked ground beef because it does come in contact with the intestines. However, you can't e-coli from a cut of steak alone (such as a strip, flank, sirlion) it comes from cross contamination from orther sources. Like employees not washing their hands before food hadling after going to the bathroom, water that is contaminated, you can get it from milk that has not been pasturized thouraghly, vegetables that have been exposed to fecal matter and not washed properly. The possibilities are endless. But in the end, it comes from fecal matter. Humans, animals and even bugs.

For all of you who are worried about eating undercooked steak, as long as your grill is 550 degrees, e-coli is not an issue. E-coli sits on the surface and that temperature will kill the bacteria. Even if you like rare, as long as the outside has been in contact with the grill for more than 30 seconds it will kill it. But be sure that after your steak is finished it does not touch any surface that could possibly be contaminated, especially the tongs or utensils you used to place the steak on the grill. They were in direct contact with the uncooked outside of the meat. There are other things to worry about though...sorry. However as long as you know your beef is coming from a reputable butcher and slaughter farm, I would not be concerned. I eat steak medium rare. I also only tend to eat steak when I am ate home, or at a steakhouse who has had excellent health inspections and all cooks are serve safe certified. My fave, Ruth's Chris.

Mad Cow disease on the other hand is not believed to be caused by bacteria, viral, toxins, chemicals or anything else. The theory is it is caused by a prion protein, wich is a mutated cell. Most cows do show signs of mad cow in early stages. They are typically removed from the farm. The most commmon way to become afflicted by mad cow would be by eating the brain matter or spinal cord of cow suffered from BSE (mad cow). This is not very common and would not worry about it in the least.

Sorry...I am having old flashbacks from the restaurant days. I gave this speech a lot. Many customers inquired about these things.

Feel free to ask for a copy of a restaurant's health inspection when you go. It is public, and there for you to view. Most inspectors will actually count how many times employees wash their hands. That is always interesting!! Ok I will stop my rambling now!

Brand new annoyance......If you know you are going to have to pee every 20 minutes on a 14 hour flight...either one, limit your fluid intake instead of downing a bottle of juice every 30 minutes, or two, sit in an aisle seat not the window, or three, wear a depends! I was trying to round up cash from some of my fellow annoyed row on the plane to pay of the stewardess. We could only come up with 30 bucks in cash...no luck!

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Ecoli-can actually stay alive on a surface of a counter for up to 2 weeks, you don't need to ingest much of it to harm yourself.

EleanorJune-Did you ever hear if people can eat certain foods to counter act the bacteria? Like we were wondering about yogurt...because it has live active cultures in it...and they tell people to eat it for certain things to help it go away. So, we didn't know about this.

Here's an annoyance of mine....going to concerts and people heckling the performer. When people start to drink, their mouths start to flap, and they think they are cool stuff. When we saw Hall and Oates...half way through the concert, this group of college students shows up, and they sit down behind us..nobody was there for 1/2
an hour...we were having a great time.

Then this group comes in, and they are all drunk, and the one girl kept standing up and she kept dancing like a total sleaze, and it was totally distracting. They kept yelling things out loud. The one guy, hit my son in the back of the head with his foot.
I really do not like getting in to any kind of problems with people at concerts, especially drunks.
But, I put my arm around the back of my son's seat, and I thought if that guy's foot comes down near his head one more time, I was going to grab hold of it and yank him out of his seat.
They must have got the hint, because I gave them a dirty look, and I said to my husband if they do 1 more thing...go get a security guard.

But, I have seen other people at concerts who weren't close enough to me...but I could hear them...and they hoot and hollar and act like fools. It is one thing to be having a good time, but I can not stand drunks and loud mouth people.

EleanorJune
unregistered

I don't know how well a dairy product would sit in her tummy. That may make nausea worse. Drinking plenty of fluids to help keep from dehydration is the best thing I have ever heard. I have also heard green tea helps some of the tummy aches and helps push the bacteria out. Just don't like her take anything like pepto. That actually slows the process of recovery. I am sure the docs told you that already though. I wish I had a cure all for you.
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Yeah they told her that, after she already took an entire box of Immodium. She's been drinking Gatorade by the tons. We do drink Green Tea here, so I'll tell her about that. Thanks!
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I have another MAJOR annoyance...it has to do alot with another topic -and that's what made me think of it, because I was talking to my mom today about the American Idol suicide. That's actually the 2nd horrible thing in the past month surrounding American Idol, 1st was the Jennifer Hudson thing- which I have never heard yet if they arrested anyone for- it never seems like they can ever convict a person of a crime any more. The guilty person is always still wandering the streets as a "person of interest"...When people have prior histories of attempted homicide and weapons possession-and it isn't like they are a nice upstanding person... why don't they get cracking on convicting people.

Anyway....last night I am flipping through the channels....and there's nothing on....that Chelsea Handler is a person who annoys me to no end....and TV shows like "The Soup" and "The Dish" on E!, all those shows are about: they are making fun of someone...and just about every reality show out there....they make fun of people.

I am so sick of that...there is never positive reinforcement...it is constant negativity.

Even watching "Dancing with the Stars"...sometimes I want to strangle the yell at the judges for being so mean and rude...the celebrities usually don't have much dance background-that is what is cool- is how fast they learn...but then they nit pick them way too much at times, and sometimes they say really mean things.

I get so sick and tired of hearing negativity all the time on ever single thing on TV.

I told my mom again today ...how much I miss TV from the 70's and 80s....my mom use to watch the Tv show "All Creatures Great and Small, and she watched a PBS show called " Are You Being Served?"...and those shows were funny and entertaining. I just don't understand what happened with TV.

I don't know how older people can stand it at all.

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you made a post about nothing being positive by being 100% negative?
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home