iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Do you get a flu shot every year?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you get a flu shot every year?
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was suppose to take my son for one today, but I am sick. Everyone in my house has been sick...with sinus stuff, and headaches and coughing. I am all stuffed up.
This morning I woke up and had severe charlie horse pain in legs. Alot of people I know have been sick, there were alot of people getting over stuff at my Halloween party, so I figured I picked up something then. I feel like dirt. You can't get a flu shot when your already sick.

I wondered how everyone else was feeling?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get one every year. Of course, last year it was for a different strain of flu and I got sick anyway.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope!
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
major
Rewinder
Member # 7478

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for major   Author's Homepage   Email major   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had a flu shot, and I've only been sick with the flu once in my life.
Posts: 36 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well..if you get sick what do you guys take to get over it?

I am taking Sudafed and a cough medicine, and an antibiotic..none of it is working.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always wind up going to the doctor--over-the-counter stuff doesn't work well for me.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bandit   Author's Homepage   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never got one.Last time i got the flu was in 1996.However i wish i got a flu shot this year though.I have been a bit under the weather the last month now. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 362 | From: Third rock from the sun | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never got one ever. I've been pretty lucky though....I think I have been sick twice in the last 5 years(knock on wood!). I probably shouldn't have typed that. [Eek!]
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I turned 35 and am starting to fall apart. First I put my back out which took some time to recover, and very recently had a pretty scary episode. I had severe headaches which lasted for 15 days straight....couldn't do anything but lay down. Went to emergency initially and hey did a cat scan and spinal tap (needle in my spine) to rule out blood on the brain and meningitis...which thankfully turned out negative. Returned to hospital a few days later because they didn't go away. My doctor tried a variety of different drugs, and still no luck. Now scheduled to see a neurologist. This is my second day without a headache, so I'm hoping they will mysteriously disappear. Anyway...sorry to ramble...but I've been feelin pretty crappy. I'm currently on a mission to make myself healthy...more exercise, better eating, etc, etc.....way too young to feel this old.......So far....avoiding the flu shot...I get paranoid when doctors don;t take one.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
major
Rewinder
Member # 7478

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for major   Author's Homepage   Email major   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
Well..if you get sick what do you guys take to get over it?

I am taking Sudafed and a cough medicine, and an antibiotic..none of it is working.

Since the flu is a virus, and antibiotic will do nothing for you. The best one can do is to take care of the symptoms, ie: congestion, fatigue, headache, fever, chills. If you can stand the taste of theraflu, it might relax you a bit. Also, ask your doctor about anything he can give you that may be able to 'takle the edge off'.

*sends package of theraflu and chicken soup*

Posts: 36 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Kevdug...Hope everything goes well with you. That sounds scary indeed. Get well soon.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Kevdug-My mom has a severe headache....she needs to have sinus surgery...but she just had foot and hand surgery and can't stand the thought of doing anything else right now. But, she has been saying she has the worst headache she ever had in her life, and she's had it for weeks too...maybe it is part of this flu or whatever...they did bloodwork on her-but it was negative for infection...it has her freaked out, because my Aunt died of a brain aneurysm...out of the blue.

I have a ton of pain in my legs....they say that charlie horse pain comes from low electrolytes.

I swear everyone I know has been sick. 2 of my friends had broncitis...my one friend's daughter had Mono.

My husband rarely ever gets sick, and when he does, it never lasts long.

Sometimes people are just lucky that way and have good immune systems.

My Dad rarely ever got sick....but then he died of brain cancer-so you never know...they said he was born with it, and it just was waiting to go off like a time bomb in his head.

I did eat chicken noodle soup...cause I have barely eaten anything for days, except toast. My husband and son are out right now at the store getting me stuff...because they were going to a Midnight Party at Gamestop for the Gears of War 2 game, and they were picking me up bananas, applesauce, jello and Sierra Mist.

I hate to take medicine that you drink...it makes me gag just thinking about it.

I am sure I'll end up having to go get medicine from the doctor.

I keep sneezing....like it's allergy stuff...and my eyes feel really hot, and my face feels hot.

I hate trying to sleep when I am sick.

[Frown]

kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks 80'sRocked. And ISIS....same goes for me...worst headaches ever, yet mine are all in the back of my head / neck. May simply boil down to tension headaches, which are apparently manageable but tend to be chronic once you start getting them. Again, I'm on a serious mission to get myself better and willing to try anything. To rule everything else out, I'm going to my very first eye appointment, gonna try massage therapy, exersise, healthy eating, etc, etc. I'd very much like to grow old with my wife and son....time to prioritize some things in my life and eliminate some of the stressors....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
My son and mother had the neck pain too...but I don't know what from, my son thought he slept wrong...but I think it all is a part of this virus thing that we all have. Kevdug-I have Fibromyalgia Syndrome, which I have had for over 10 years ....I use to get so sick from it...and I'd go to the doctor and have all these tests done, for them to tell me everything was normal on my tests. The only way to know I had Fibromyalgia was to rule out everything else. I started taking grapeseed extract and that actually helped me. The whole Fibromyalgia thing can come and go, and you can be in remission for awhile, and then you get it back again. It's kind of like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome...which runs in my family.

I use to go to a chiropractor....that seemed to help somewhat.

One of my contractors just spent about $12,000 in testing for problems he was having, and they never found a thing on him....they kind of chalked it up to Fibromyalgia too.

I think alot of it comes from environmental stuff...we are exposed to so many chemicals every day, and they breakdown your immune system...plus pollution, and stress, and poor diets...I think that's why there are so many sick people out there. I know it all is connected.

Good luck with everything...I hope you feel better soon.

Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I hate being sick so much.. Get well soon folks!!
Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I’m sorry to hear Kevdug. I’m already complaining if I have a (rare) headache for half an hour. I can only imagine what it must be like to suffer for 15 days.

I’m far from an expert, but since doctors can’t find anything it’s probably stress related (THE 21st century disease). Though this may be easier said than done, I would say try to relax and perhaps try to avoid stress factors as much as possible. Any excuse will do. [Wink]
I’m pretty sure you’ll feel a whole lot better in no time.

All the best!

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have never had a flu shot in my life but this week i had that nasty virus that is going around everywhere for 3 days mostly stomach pain and chills and fever and running to the john not a fun virus glad it is over took alot of pepto bismol and tylenol lol dee [Cool] [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Thanks again guys. I'm thinking stress as well. My life is great overall and I am very happy. I do have a stressful job...Child and Youth Counsellor for 10 + years...recently promoted to a supervisory position which has a few more demands. Again..I'm feeling confident that I can take control and make myself healthy. ISIS...$12 000....wow...thankfully I'm able to have all the testing in the world, and it doesn't cost me a thing via our health care system. And my medical plan through work covers any medication required. My Doctor tried me on migrane pills...they cost $20 for one pill! I really can't imagine having to pay for all this stuff. Anyway...I typically try not to complain, but this was quite a scare...thanks for listening...and giving a crap!

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best thing for the Flu is a big bowl of chicken soup and a big bottle of Irish whiskey...
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hewzy
Rewind Guru
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for hewzy   Email hewzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jdocster:
The best thing for the Flu is a big bowl of chicken soup and a big bottle of Irish whiskey...

You've got it spot on there buddy [Wink]
Posts: 729 | From: Birmingham, England | Registered: Sep 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jdocster:

Is the whiskey a chaser after the soup? [Smile]
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
Or, you could put it IN the soup StevenHW! [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home