iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Anyone missing Roger Ebert?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone missing Roger Ebert?
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Originally, I was going to put this in the 80's Movies folder, but I think it is not restricted to just an 80's thing]

I love watching "movie critic" TV shows. I want to see and hear what they say about an upcoming movie.

I already kinda miss the "Ebert & Roeper" show, which left in early September. Originally, it was "Sneak Previews" on PBS, then it was "Siskel & Ebert", then it was "At The Movies with Siskel & Ebert". Then, after Gene Siskel died of a brain tumor in 1999, several guest critics filled in, before deciding on Richard Roeper, who is one of the few critics to enjoy 80's movies. The show was renamed "Ebert & Roeper".

After Roger Ebert was diagnosed with cancer and had an operation in 2006, he stopped appearing on the show although his name was still on the title. So, several guest critics (and some actors and directors) sat in for Roger. Then it became "At The Movies".

But now, the show had changed once again, when it was announced last month that two new critics were coming in and Roeper would leave the show for good. The two new guys are Ben Lyons and Ben Mankiewicz.

But at least there's still the "Reel Talk" show, hosted by Jeffrey Lyons (Ben's father) and Alison Bailes, as well as the two new Bens.

Anyway, I thought this might a good time to discuss about these kinds of shows, and what kind of impact did Siskel & Ebert leave on your moviegoing.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually found very little to agree with whatever either Siskel or Ebert had to say.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They had no impact on my movie going. Usually if they gave two thumbs down, I ended up liking it. I find I'm that way with alot of critics not just them. Critics always seem to be angry for some reason. Maybe because they aren't stars themselves or something....
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
let me start by saying i pay no attention to what any critics have to say.

but siskel and ebert was one of my favorite shows as a youngster. i actually looked forward to seeing it. i didn't even care what movies they were talking about. i was very upset when siskel died. and i've seen some pics of roger and he doesn't look good at all.

they really had one of the great tv shows of the 80's.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They always were enjoyable to watch even if you didn't agree with their opinions (and I myself didn't start watching with regularity until about the mid 90s, although I knew of it in spirit from Sesame Street's great Sneak Peak Previews sketches with Oscar and Telly). Sure, sometimes they'd go on crusades, but deep down you got the feeling they cared deeply about what they watched in the cinemas and tried to get across the message to anyone watching that they deserved the best each and every time they went to the movies (as well it should be). Agreed, it hasn't been the same without Siskel, although you do have to give Ebert credit for trying to carry on. Unfortunately complications came up in his last surgery, leaving him unable to speak (could be corrected, but he wrote in his Sun-Times column he doesn't wish to have more operations at the moment). He still holds the trademark on the Thumbs Up/Down rating and will be taking it with him off the show, so the new team will have to start from scratch, basically.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the bitchyness of their banter was what made watching the show SISKEL & EBERT fun. Even if you didnt value their opinions watching them fight like a gay married couple was a hoot!

I always preferred Ebert as his opinions ran closet to mine (but like most critics he never gave Horror movies a fair shake). I've read a few of his books and just recently got one called YOUR MOVIE SUCKS. Cant wait to crack that open.

I really miss him and the show is not the same without him. If I happen to catch it I still watch it though because a lot of these kid movies my daughter wants to see I absolutley will not go if both critics are like "OhmyGOD this is TERRIBLE!" With movies costing what they do today I wanna hear some decent word of mouth before I shell out.

I think my biggest inspirations to start a website were Roger Ebert and Joe Bob Briggs. I think I'm their secret love child.

[ 10. October 2008, 05:18: Message edited by: mamamiasweetpeaches ]

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home