iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » The Puck Drops Here - Hockey Thread (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: The Puck Drops Here - Hockey Thread
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey xchazx how about them Devils tonight? They actually scored some goals and Brodeur got yet another shutout. I wish I had Marty on all four of my fantasy teams but I'm fortunate to have him on one. My Reservoir Dogs team reaps the benefits of him.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hardly ever root for the Devils(especially how they dealt with Claude Julien), but tonight was sweet seeing Marty Brodeur get his 98th shutout and sticking it to Avery.

Sam, I had no idea so many good players came out of the Fighting Sioux program, I would have thought that Michigan was a bigger program. But then again, Minnesota is the birthplace of US hockey. Hobey Baker was from there.

There's been a lot of talk lately about Toronto having a second NHL team, due to the popularity and no one can get Leaf tickets. Bettman seems to be opposed to expansion in Canada, and continues to support those hockey hotbeds of Nashville and Atlanta and their half empty stadiums. What do you guys think? Are there too many teams?

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sam 'The Made Man' Hain:
Hey xchazx how about them Devils tonight? They actually scored some goals and Brodeur got yet another shutout. I wish I had Marty on all four of my fantasy teams but I'm fortunate to have him on one. My Reservoir Dogs team reaps the benefits of him.

seeing avery get his lunch handed to him would have made it a perfect evening, but he refused to fight clarkson, which is not a surprise. i'll take a 5-0 shutout anyday. devils played great last night. hopefully we keep it up with the home and home against the cryers this weekend. i'd hate to be the team that gives them their first win.

and marty keeps proving why he is the best goalie in the game. every game we've had a chance to win has been as a direct result of marty. this devils organization is going to crumble when he finally decides to retire. i know he has 3 yrs left on his contract, and if he stays in shape and is motivated, he could probably play another 2. but i don't want to get ahead of myself.

and the devils must love those SD guys, not only do they have zajac and parise, but they also drafted david hale and mike commodore.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EleanorJune
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes it takes awhile to fill the shoes of greatness. That seems to be the Avs issue with goalies. Budaj could be good if he wanted it bad enough. He has made some amazing saves, but what get's past him should hvae been easy saves. He let's the crap through. I am extremely opinionated when it comes to hockey. Sorry.

I used to catch a lot of Michigan State games. Also grew up playing pond hockey with my brothers and cousins. My temper always got the best of me though. One of my best friends is one of the best female hockey players I have ever seen. And she is cute as he** too. There isn't much for females in the sport though.

This will be my second season with Center Ice. Yeah I will never go back again. I used to work nights and could never catch a game, and never wait to watch it on DVR. I had to know the score right away. No patience here!

| Site Updates: 0 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for my man 80's rocked, from the genius known as kevin smith:

quote:
Part of being a Devils fan is the incessant defense of their style of play to other hockey fans. Have you experienced this?

Oh, every [expletive] and their uncle wants to tell you that, "The Devils ruined hockey with that trap [expletive] system of theirs." You can't argue with three Cups, dude. That trap system is three Cups. It may not be exciting hockey to you, but it's not about making it exciting -- it's about winning the Cup for heaven's sake.

It's a system that works, and you know how I know it works? Because now the [expletive] Rangers are playing the trap style. Now everybody [expletive] plays [expletive] trap style.

What is your general impression of Rangers fans?

I don't think people like being Rangers fans as much as they like hating on the Devils. That's how it always occurs to me, man. Nothin' wrong with the Rangers team, but their fans ... some of them are just so insanely ardent to the point of being insulting to every other team in the league, but most particularly to Jersey.

"You guys won a Cup, and you had a parade in your parking lot. Dude, we had a parade in Manhattan."

Well I'm sorry, we're not based on Manhattan. I don't know what to tell you.

here's the entire interview:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Puck-Daddy-talks-hockey-and-movies-with-director?urn=nhl,116905

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
xchazx, I don't know how old you are, but did you ever remember the Islanders-Rangers rivalry? It was really intense back in the 70's and 80's. I was wondering if that rivalry will ever come back. The owner Wang has ruined the franchise, Mike Milbury didn't help either. Eleanor June, with you being an AVS fan do you think Patrick Roy or Marty Brodeur was the best goalie?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh xchazx, I can't not like you....though you are trying real hard. I know how good your team is, how great your goalie is, and what a great fan you are....at least I have last year and one game so far this year. [Wink] Gotta love the rivalry.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
xchazx, I don't know how old you are, but did you ever remember the Islanders-Rangers rivalry? It was really intense back in the 70's and 80's. I was wondering if that rivalry will ever come back. The owner Wang has ruined the franchise, Mike Milbury didn't help either. Eleanor June, with you being an AVS fan do you think Patrick Roy or Marty Brodeur was the best goalie?

i didn't start watching hockey until 1988, the year the devils first made the playoffs. i never knew anyone who liked hockey growing up so i never got into the sport. but it was a big deal when the devils made the playoffs, so i became interested in them then. but i really became a hockey fan around '91 or '92 or so, when my friends and i first started playing ea sports nhl on the sega genesis. that's how i actually learned the rules of hockey and who the teams and players were.

but i do remember watching a playoff game between the isles and the rags back in the late 70's or early 80's, whenever they met. i think it may have been a conference final. my uncle was a big rangers fan and i remember him going crazy during the game. i'm pretty sure the rags lost. i also remember those sassoon commercials. they were hilarious.

the isles really need to get good again and sustain it for a while. they're such a poorly run franchise. i'd say because of the devils success over the past 15 yrs, they became a better rivalry for the rags.

but some devils fans think philly is our main rival.

i read on another board that sundin took the nhl physical and is going to skate for a while before he decides who he wants to play for. it's got to be MON, even if VAN will pay him more.

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
I was actually quite taken with the Devils in the late 80's when they had a rookie Shanahan(still remember his 1st NHL goal, where he kissed Claude Loiselle on the ice), Aaron Broten, Alain Chevrier, Ken Daneyko, Mark Johnson and the infamous Jim Schoenfeld. I will always remember the donut comment and his run in with ref Koharski. Seems like yesterday when I watched that.

It was a real heated rivalry with Isles and Rangers, there used to be this thing when HOF'er Denis Potvin used to play in MSG and they would always chan "Potvin sucks." The Isles were knocked out by the Rangers too in the late 70's a few times before they went on their four year cup run.

I can't stand Philly, I hate the way they play, players like Hartnell, Upshall, even Richards irks me.

I can't see Sundin in Montreal, but I see him either going back to the Leafs or in Vancouver. I also heard possibilities of the Rangers and Ottawa, but not sure how he feels playing for division rivals.

xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
I was actually quite taken with the Devils in the late 80's when they had a rookie Shanahan(still remember his 1st NHL goal, where he kissed Claude Loiselle on the ice), Aaron Broten, Alain Chevrier, Ken Daneyko, Mark Johnson and the infamous Jim Schoenfeld. I will always remember the donut comment and his run in with ref Koharski. Seems like yesterday when I watched that.

It was a real heated rivalry with Isles and Rangers, there used to be this thing when HOF'er Denis Potvin used to play in MSG and they would always chan "Potvin sucks." The Isles were knocked out by the Rangers too in the late 70's a few times before they went on their four year cup run.

I can't stand Philly, I hate the way they play, players like Hartnell, Upshall, even Richards irks me.

I can't see Sundin in Montreal, but I see him either going back to the Leafs or in Vancouver. I also heard possibilities of the Rangers and Ottawa, but not sure how he feels playing for division rivals.

there is no way the rags get him unless he either gives them the biggest discount ever or they move someone making a ton of cash(gomez to VAN was a rumor over the summer). right now the rags are under a million in available cap space.

OTT has a little over 4.3mil available, so that could work. i haven't heard them mentioned as a team he'd play for. but who knows, he may just end up back in TOR. VAN is the team that needs him most.

EleanorJune
unregistered

Brodeur is a great goalie, personally I think he brought home the cup for the devils all three times. But typically in season games, he has always had a great defense to stand infront of him. Given yes during playoffs the d didnt hold up their end of the bargain, and he had to carry it out by himself. Much kudo's there.

Now on the other hand Roy has longevity. He can take a beating and he keeps going. Open shot after open shot and he saves them.

Roy will always be my fave. I met him in person and you couldn't ask for a greater guy. I give props to Brodeur, but to me it's Roy. I feel you can't compare the stats on the two. They have played behind much different defenses. So yeah, I am saying Roy. I want a goalie who can take it hard and maintain his saves. Rather than a great goalie who makes incredible saves, but has not had to make as many. Hopefully that makes sense to you!

But let's see when happens when Brodeur retires!

EleanorJune
unregistered

But.....I must say.....Hasek.....now that's a goalie!!
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roy and Hasek are of course brilliant....I must admit though, I have been saying that Marty is the best goalie of all time for years now.

I'm like you xchazx....I didn't become a Rangers fan until around 1989, so I missed all that rivalry of Isles/Rangers in the late 70's and early 80's. Now that the Isles are basically crap and have been so-so for so many years, Devils/Rangers is a much better rivalry IMO.

I can't see Sundin coming here....highly unlikely.

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
In Montreal, as great as Roy was, he always seems to generate controversy here. His number will be retired here in November, but there have been grumblings all the time because of the way he left the organization. If you recall rookie coach Mario Tremblay didn't pull him in 9-0 loss to Detroit and he went to the bench and told then team president that he played his last game in Montreal. He went to the Avs and the rest is history. It gave his career a new lease on life. I will always be grateful though for his amazing heroics in the last two cups in 86 and 93. Brodeur has been fortunate to play for a team where he could get 40 wins a year. He's been able to have few injuries as well, it's so close but I seem to think Brodeur will have all best goalie stats in history when he is done.

80's rocked, who is your favorite Blueshirt goalie of all time? Is it Mike Richter, John Vanbiesbrouck, Lundqvist or do you go old school with John Davidson and Ed Giacoman?

Sundin in Ottawa might be a possibility, they have 4.3 million left to the cap. I just would dread the Senators stepping up a notch like that. Please go to the west.

80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
Sundin to the west sounds good to me too. Our divisions are tough enough as it is.

Mike Richter is the Rangers best goalie ever and not only my favorite goalie, but possibly my favorite player of all time. His heart, passion, and skills combined make him one of the greats. Also loved the Beezer though. King Henrik might be better than both someday.

Rangers finally beat Columbus last night in their own building. First time since 2001. Zherdev gets 3 points against his former team for first star honors. I see that Philly finally got their first win....sorry xchazx....not. That was a pretty good fight with Cote and Leblond though.

I remember that 9-0 game with Roy. Quite embarassing. I also recall a game against the Blueshirts when Roy was stickhandling the puck, deeked 2 Rangers, and crossed the red-line so he was given a penalty. He had some skills.

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
I totally forgot about that Roy stickhandling game. Thanks for reminding me. I will never forget when Guy Lafleur came out of retirement to join the Rangers after a 4-5 year hiatus. I remember he came back to the forum and scored two goals against Roy. Even if it was against the Habs, I was so estatic because a few years prior I met him at a sports banquet when he was playing on the oldtimers circuit and many people encouraged him to return to the NHL because he could still skate like the wind. Ah the memories.

Who's your all time Rangers enforcer? Is it Langdon, Tie Domi, Nick Fotiu, Jeff Beukeboom? As far as favorite players ever, would you rate Richter higher than Messier?

I still can't believe the Blue Jackets gave up Zherdev like they did. The got served last night.

80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
Zherdev sure has some skills. Sam's Wild gets Columbus tonight.

Don't forget Joey Kocur on the Blueshirts enforcer list. Those are all good ones you listed. I love Mess, but Richter is still my fav. Leetch is probably 2nd. Love Gravy as well.

Can't believe I found this clip on youtube. This is funnier than I remembered. Roy skating past the redline penalty. Remember this EleanorJune?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429QFwN8Yy4

How about this one? Hasek goes after Roy, but falls down. Pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WsxQ6okpg8

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Joey Kocur, not a fighter to mess with, supposedly he cracked a hockey helmet with his fist during his early years with Detroit.

What a rough affair with Philly-NJ last night. They started piling on their BSB shenanigans last night and got a victory out of it. The Rangers tying the game with 8 seconds left? You gotta be kidding me. Great shootout as well. The Ducks JS Giguere stole on against the Habs last night. The only time we get 50 shots on net and our goaltending lets us down. Frustrating. Didn't even notice the Wild picked up Owen Nolan until last night.

xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
f*****g devils just know how to rip my heart out. at least they got a point on the road. and there was plenty of fisticuffs that night.

owen nolan is still around? MIN must be getting ready to move Gaborik.

Colt 45
Master Rewinder
Member # 4940

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Colt 45   Email Colt 45   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vladislav Tretiak is the best Goalie of all time.
Posts: 124 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by xchazx:
f*****g devils just know how to rip my heart out. at least they got a point on the road. and there was plenty of fisticuffs that night.

Gaborik's trade value sure didn't get helped any as he was put on the IR yet again. If the guy could only stay healthy and play in a system more fit for his style he could be the most dynamic player in the entire league. I still loved that game last season when he scored five goals against the Strangers.

Yeah Minnesota got Nolan during the offseason they needed to get another physical force to compenaste for the loss of fedoruk and Chris Simon who also brings more offensive skill than either one of those two.

Minnesota got a gift last night. Minnesota was leading Columbus 2-1 with twelve seconds to go in the game when Nash scored a goal and was called as such on the ice. The play went to the replay booth where it was overturned for being hit with a high stick. The way the replay looked to me is that it was too hard to tell and that the review would have had to go along with whatever decision was made on the ice as it appeared to be too inconclusive either way. Review booth saw it otherwise and overyurned the refs call so it was no goal and Minnesota got the 2-1 victory.

Backstrom has been pretty lights out between the pipes so far this season.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
That 3rd period in the Pens/Rangers game was one of their best in a long time. I went nuts when Zherdev tied that baby up with 8 seconds and change left. Lunqvist was amazing in OT as well. I was just praying for 1 point and got 2.
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Sam 'The Made Man' Hain:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face=""Century Gothic", Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face=""Century Gothic", Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by xchazx:

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face=""Century Gothic", Verdana, Arial">Gaborik's trade value sure didn't get helped any as he was put on the IR yet again. If the guy could only stay healthy and play in a system more fit for his style he could be the most dynamic player in the entire league. I still loved that game last season when he scored five goals against the Strangers.

Yeah Minnesota got Nolan during the offseason they needed to get another physical force to compenaste for the loss of fedoruk and Chris Simon who also brings more offensive skill than either one of those two.

Minnesota got a gift last night. Minnesota was leading Columbus 2-1 with twelve seconds to go in the game when Nash scored a goal and was called as such on the ice. The play went to the replay booth where it was overturned for being hit with a high stick. The way the replay looked to me is that it was too hard to tell and that the review would have had to go along with whatever decision was made on the ice as it appeared to be too inconclusive either way. Review booth saw it otherwise and overyurned the refs call so it was no goal and Minnesota got the 2-1 victory.

Backstrom has been pretty lights out between the pipes so far this season.

of course after i posted what i wrote i saw that gaborik was put on IR. that guy is awesome, but he is soooo fragile. this latest injury was from him playing hackey sack. really, hackey sack.

i'm sure MIN has done everything they could to keep him. he must really hate playing jacque's style. though MIN is still playing great without him. they better make sure they get good compensation for him, players like him don't come along all the time.

EleanorJune
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by 80'sRocked:
Zherdev sure has some skills. Sam's Wild gets Columbus tonight.

Don't forget Joey Kocur on the Blueshirts enforcer list. Those are all good ones you listed. I love Mess, but Richter is still my fav. Leetch is probably 2nd. Love Gravy as well.

Can't believe I found this clip on youtube. This is funnier than I remembered. Roy skating past the redline penalty. Remember this EleanorJune?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429QFwN8Yy4

How about this one? Hasek goes after Roy, but falls down. Pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WsxQ6okpg8

EleanorJune
unregistered

Totally forgot to add what I was trying to say! ooppss anyways I never saw the first vid. When was that from?

Absolutly saw the second!! It is a classic.

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home