iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Sylvia Brown and other psychics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sylvia Brown and other psychics
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching this thing on youtube about Sylvia Brown making a huge mistake on a prediction she made ...when she told a family that their missing son was dead, when he was actually alive and he was being held by someone.

Does anyone follow that kind of stuff....I saw her along time ago on Montel Williams, and I think they do prey on people's desperation....I could say to someone...you have someone with a J or an M connected to you....just about everyone has someone connected to them with those letters....

Does anyone think psychics are real?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do believe that there are real psychics out there, but that they generally keep it to themselves. I think that the psychics we see on tv are fakes, and that the real ones are out there, our neighbours and people we walk past in the street.
I know that if I had that ability I'd keep it to myself as I wouldn't want to deal with the complications of people knowing I had psychic abilities.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always though Sylvia Brown was really mean, and the way she blurted out stuff to people...I watched a little more about her last night...

She told someone that their husband died in water...and the woman said he was a fireman in 9-11 and they never recovered his body....and Sylvia Brown kept saying that she saw him in water.

These other people wanted to know how their daughter died.

Sylvia said...she was shot. They said she died in her bedroom at home, she just collapsed...and they didn't know why....and they wanted to know what happened.

I think people should not be allowed to ask for money for that stuff.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they really know what they are doing, then why can't they predict the winning lottery numbers, buy the winning ticket, and cash in? Utter crap, scam, sham etc....
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
They don't need the money...Sylvia Brown makes $700 for a 20 minute phone reading.
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$700 for 20 minutes is like $2100 an hour. Hmm let's see that versus $300 million dollars I know which one I'd choose...... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, I don't believe in psychics. I'm like Motley, it's a bunch of crap. And they do prey on people's emotions, I think.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being such a huge Sci-Fi and paranormal fan, I believe that I have a decent amount of knowledge on this subject. I personally think those "psychics" on TV like Brown and others who get paid so much money, are full of it. With that said, I do believe that EVERYBODY does have some kind of "sixth-sense", but in a limited capacity.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I meant that you know if they were real they would pick the lotto numbers....but since they aren't and they make a ton of money...doing nothing...then I think they are set...they don't care about the lottery when they are sitting on their butt at home on the phone...making $2100 an hour.

[ 04. September 2008, 14:20: Message edited by: ISIS ]

journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psychics and paranormalists are a load of crap. They prey on the desperate and gullible. On TV they use informal settings, selective editing, pre-sceened guests and audience plants to make themselves look good. Try watching some of The Amazing Randi's documentaries. His NOVA series "The Secrets of Psychics" is especially good. James Randi is a former magician who has dedicated his life to debunking all these phony psychics and healers (and psuedoscience in general). He has a standing offer of $1 million to anyone who can successfully demonstrate their psychic or occult abilities in a double-blind scientific test. In 20 years, no one has claimed the prize. He also helped to expose Uri Geller on the Tonight Show in 1973, ending with Geller storming off the show in shame. Of course the guy still rakes in millions. I remember reading one of former FBI profiler John Douglas' books where he lamented on the subject of psychics in law enforcement. He said in the thousands of missing person and homicide cases he and his colleagues have consulted on, never once have they ever run across a psychic who could actually bring any useful information to the fold. He said they always ramble off a bunch of vague crap about the body being near water (99% of all dead bodies are found within a 10 mile radius of some body of water) or feeling a great sense of pain and unrest with the victim (you would think so, if they were the victim of a violent crime). I mean, you'd think if they were such powerful psychics they could just give the cops the killer's name and home address, but that's always somehow beyond them.

[ 04. September 2008, 11:02: Message edited by: journey ]

Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
I meant that you know if they were real they would pick the lotto numbers....but since they aren't and they make a ton of money...doing nothing...then I think they are set...they don't care about the lottery when they are sitting on the butt at home on the phone...making $2100 an hour.

Exactly. If they're not above selling their "talent" for $500/hr. readings, then why would they be above buying a Lotto ticket? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

Still makes no sense thought even if they were making $10,000/hour. Why not just buy the winning lotto ticket, bank it and say to hell with being a psychic?
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
It makes sense...because they are a fraud....and they can't pick the number..
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever notice when a "Psychic" is saying "I'm seeing a person in your family who's name starts with the letter J or M"? Duh....the most common names in the world start with those 2 letters. EVERYBODY has a relative somewhere with a name that starts with J or M. At least around where I live.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

That was the point of my post Isis I was saying that they are frauds gees........
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ISIS:

I tend to agree with StitchGroover that there are real psychics, but they are not the kind who go out seeking publicity or want to have it on them.

Then there are some who really do have psychic powers or psychotherapist abilities, but use them to help law enforcement. If you see the NBC-TV series "Medium", based on a real-life psychic, then you get my point.

Most of the so-called "psychics" you see on TV are mostly fakes. Especially that so-called "Psychic Friends Network".

Some of you might remember Miss Cleo, who was on that network, and asking people to call her phone number. I never did (thank goodness!), because I read that the callers were advised to stay on the line for a long time as possible. And it turned out that Miss Cleo was a fraud, an actress from Southern California (San Fernando Valley) using a fake Jamaican accent.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/cleo1.html

Then there was the singer Dionne Warwick, who had her own "psychic hotline". Did she not know she was going to be arrested for marijuana possesion while in Miami back in May 2002?

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/dionnebust1.html

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by StevenHW:
Especially that so-called "Psychic Friends Network".

Haha...I remember that:

-

mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Miss Cleo was a fraud...but DAMN! Her commercials were so amusing: "Call me NOWWW"
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by 80'sRocked:
Ever notice when a "Psychic" is saying "I'm seeing a person in your family who's name starts with the letter J or M"? Duh....the most common names in the world start with those 2 letters. EVERYBODY has a relative somewhere with a name that starts with J or M. At least around where I live.

That's the cold reading technique. You throw out a wide net with vague, generalized questions and narrow down your focus when you get affirmative responses. I saw a great investigative report on cold readings once. They secretly filmed this couple who went to see a psychic and showed that her line of questioning produced 3 times as many "misses" as "hits". But when the couple emerged from the reading they were falling over themselves about how precise she had been. If you're observant enough, you can ascertain all sorts of things about people. That's because most people aren't aware how much they give away through body language, tone of voice, speech patterns, etc.
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
That's what I'm saying Journey. They have all these little tricks they use to make it seem like they are "seeing" things. I once saw a "pyschic" on TV go through over half of the alphabet before hitting the "right" letter. And the poor sucker still fell for it. I can't believe they actually get paid for that.
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
South Park had a hilarious episode making fun of John Edward and his stupid "Crossing Over" show. That guy wasn't even clever enough to pull off cold readings, he had to resort to hot readings, polling the audience beforehand with questionaires and utilizing other foreknowledge. And, of course, he's a multi-millionaire. James Randi exposed him too showing that in an unedited reading he only managed to get 3 out of 23 questions right with an audience member (and that's with foreknowledge). What a joke. I could never look at myself in the mirror if I made money taking advantage of people like that.
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
They're almost as bad as the "faith-healers". Remember this nut job:

Benny Hinn

-

This guy's a millionaire from being a con-artist.

Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite psychic is Anthony Michael Hall.

Er--

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I had someone stay here at my B & B...and his mother worked for Benny Hinn-I had never heard of him before...the man's mother is in her 90's...and she is a "faith healer"...he said she travels with a body guard...because when she "heals" people they fall over...and they can fall on her and hurt her...so the body guard is there to keep the people from landing on her.

Now...that kind of stuff...is another whole ballgame...because they are adding God in to the equasion...and I think that is really wrong, but in a different way.

Sylvia Brown...isn't doing all that...she is so unfeeling about these people...to just blurt out things about people's loved ones, and tell them whatever stupid thing pops in her head....she needs stopped. I did see that man who offered the million dollars...good for him...it seems like any more...nobody stands up for all these things that are wrong...they know about them...but nobody does anything. She should never be allowed to take money for any of that.
How do you determine a person is a fraud....when they go on TV and tell people lies...that's on tape...there's the evidence. So, run them out of business.

Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

Dang you mean Benny Hinn's fake? I thought he was the real deal after seeing this video...... [Big Grin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lvU-DislkI

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home