iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Can someone explain?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can someone explain?
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pardon my ignorance here, but can someone please explain the whole dvd format..region 1 region 2 thing to me? i guess this is something i never really had to worry about, but i have never asked what the deal is with this, or why it's like this. from what i understand, movies can't be viewed on dvd players that were purchased in the U.S. unless you have a region 1 player??? or do i have that wrong? [Confused]

wizard you wrote about this in another topic, maybe you can help?

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, you're right. If you live in the US, your DVDs have to be Region 1. The only place I've ever seen anything outside Region 1 is on Ebay...you have to be careful there, because there are a lot of sellers from the UK, and their DVDs are Region 0, I think. That's why I couldn't buy Masoleum. I knew there were region codes, or whatever, but I'd never paid much attention till then.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's region 2 here. But I got a dvd player for just £25 that lets you play all regions so that I could buy dvds from America that haven't been released here yet [Smile]

[ 01. October 2007, 11:07: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is a Region 0 DVD then it can be played anywhere.

I don't know all of them off the top of my head but Region 1 is the US, Region 2 is the UK, Region 3 is Japan, and their are 3 more for the rest of the world.

Bob

Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of the cheaper DVD players can easily be converted to region free format. It's the high quality expensive ones that tend to be locked to one region. I need multi region because here in Europe our DVD's are region 2 but on the American bases near to where i work I can buy region 1 dvd's cheaper and sooner than they are released on Region 2.

Noms [Cool]

All i need now is a region free HD-DVD player...

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My copy of the We Are the World 20th Anniversary DVDis a Region 0 release.

For the record, Region 4 is Australia, South America, and the Caribbean. Region 5 is Africa, India, and Russia. Region 6 is China. Region 7 is currently not in use, to be used in the future. Region 8 is meant for airlines and cruise ships.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks everyone for helping. i just didn't quite understand what was what.. [Roll Eyes]

[Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how do you find out what your dvd is?? what do i look for???
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's generally a symbol on the back of the disc case, with a picture of the world and a number inside.

Noms is correct when he says that the only DVD players you're likely to have problems with are the more expensive high end ones. Those tend to be locked to a single region (The players are identical across the globe, but they are locked to a region to supposedly protect the DVD marketplace in a certain geography). However, most DVD manufacturers (especially those that have models towards the budget end of the range) will have a method by which you can unlock the player. Generally it'll be a sequence of obscure key-pushes on the remote, although much less often it might be a chip that needs upgrading inside the player.

Best bet: google for your exact make/model of DVD player, and add the words 'region free' to the end of your search. If there is a way of unlocking it, then you'll find it. And if the option is there, set it to Region 0, which will play anything from anywhere.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dvdreviewer.co.uk is an excellent site fro region hacks of most DVD players...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys...Paul great explaination and thanks Noms for the website! now i'm searching!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home