iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » It- 1990 Miniseries and 2017 Movie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It- 1990 Miniseries and 2017 Movie
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never seen the mini series, nor have I read the book. Someone please tell me a little bit about It, other than a scary clown who lived in the sewer. Is it all hype, or is it truly a good story and scary?
Posts: 2036 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Pittsburghgirl. I read the Stephen King It novel in the late 1980's, though I waited until this year to check out the 1990 TV mini-series. I haven't seen the new 2017 film, however, so can't speak for that.

Re: the book, I did find it genuinely scary & well-done. It's quite long, however - IIRC, it's over 1000 pages.

Re: the 1990 TV mini-series, I liked that as well.

The story is essentially about a group of young friends who are scared & terrorized by a demonic clown back in the early 1960's (or late 1950's). The clown kills the younger brother of one of the kids, and they have to find a way to deafeat this monster.

They make a pact that they will reunite if they ever hear that the clown comes back, and go face it again. And, it does come back many years later, when they're adults.

I don't want to give away too much more of the plot due to Spoilers. However, I'm going to repost my review on the 1990 mini-series that I wrote up on this a while back:

-Fantastic adaptation of the ST novel. I am extremely impressed, especially given that this was a network TV mini-series, and obviously didn't have the budget of an expensive Hollywood film. Much of the dialogue was right out of the book itself, including many of the quotes. Also, the story (towards the end) that Ben Hanscom (John Ritter) told to his friends about losing weight in high school - so he could try out & run on the track team - was also right out of the King book. Very nice, since I'm a purist when it comes to screen adaptations based on novels. Obviously, they couldn't put everything on screen given that the novel was so huge, but considering this mini-series was close to 3 hours long they included a lot.

-Excellent story & great casting. Well-done efforts to have at least a couple of the kid actors look a lot like the later adults, including the young actress who played Beverly - she looked quite a bit like Annette O'Toole, her adult self (other than the hair color). Also, it was a nice touch to have the young Bill Denbrough have a mole on his face, like the older Denbrough (Richard Thomas).

-Very disturbing story & above average special effects, especially by early '90's TV standards. Pennywise was quite frightening in all of his incarnations, especially as the seemingly harmless clown (even before you saw him with the fangs & eyes). The grotesque lobster creature at the end was well-done as well.

-Good job on recreating a small town in both the 1960 & 1990 time-frames; the transition between the two eras was seamless re: seeing similar storefronts, houses, etc. - with the obvious differences that 30 years will bring.

-Nostalgia obviously was very strong in this story - i.e., going back & forth between childhood & adulthood - and the adult selves slowly remembering a lot of the things that happened in their youth. I'm sure a lot of adults (myself included) can relate to having a group of friends you hung out with as kids/teenagers, and then losing touch with them as you get older & move on - as in this story.

RIP John Ritter & Jonathan Brandis (both passed in 2003)

Posts: 456 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much Nostalgic! Sometimes the book to movie adaptation isn't very good for some movies. I will have to look for both. I'm sure I will come across the book in a thrift store somewhere.
Posts: 2036 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home